Bogus Research

wrighty

This amused me, and Evan Davies when he interviewed the guy on R4 earlier.  Report from the Mirror here

They basically wrote fake research papers and submitted them to journals.  In one they claimed to have inspected 10000 dogs' genitals to see if they could correlate them with dogs' rape tendencies.  The reviewers (seriously) questioned if the dogs had been violated in carrying out the study.

I think they were trying to prove that studies on 'trendy' leftist topics were likely to be published even if they were completely ludicrous.  7/20 got in.  Just because something's published in a 'leading' academic journal doesn't necessarily mean it's the truth.

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

......sadly the number of things you've had published are an important part of your CV.............

I once published a quotation from Albert Einstein in the British Medical Journal, something along the lines of “The pressure to publish leads to superficiality and should be resisted”. The citation for it is on my CV, which I think is quite ironic. 

Archived