International Driving Permit

Manxman79

So, with it looking likely that the UK will crash out of the EU, should I plan ahead and apply for an International Driving Permit?

I haven't seen any in the press (IOM) about needing to get one, but that said, a lack of communication form the Government is one of its strong points.

Not a bad idea to get an International  Driving  Licence if you intend to drive abroad as some jurisdictions  take possession of your licence in the event of an incident and there can be problems getting it returned . Getting a replacement UK/Manx driving licence can be more hassle than obtaining an international one , which , when I bought one last , was only valid for a year.

just saying

48 minutes ago, Manxman79 said:

So, with it looking likely that the UK will crash out of the EU, should I plan ahead and apply for an International Driving Permit?

I haven't seen any in the press (IOM) about needing to get one, but that said, a lack of communication form the Government is one of its strong points.

Yes, get one. Decades ago I got mine through the IOM offices somewhere, was all very easy.

3 hours ago, Manxman79 said:

PASWT makes a good point about having the permit to hand over to the authorities in the event of an accident/incident.

However over the last few years I've driven in many other countries (including Australia) without the need to have an IDP. In any event the Isle of Man is not in the EU so it shouldn't make any difference if the UK leaves? 

I guess its a case of the old "insurance adage". I'm sure that IOMG would welcome the revenue, if Brexit goes ahead what are the chances of the current rates going up!

You can download form on line. Post it in. Took a week for mine to process and return. Used to last 3 years. Now just one. 

Their issued under the Vienna convention 1968. Applies to all international vehicle and driver circulation.

There are intra EU recognition rules that may disappear if there’s no deal.

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

You can download form on line. Post it in. Took a week for mine to process and return. Used to last 3 years. Now just one. 

Their issued under the Vienna convention 1968. Applies to all international vehicle and driver circulation.

There are intra EU recognition rules that may disappear if there’s no deal.

Oh dear,  you accuse Woody of using “estuarine English”...

the word is They’re not their... :flowers:

I was surprised to read this (in bold) in the Government's recent 'no deal Brexit' advice. I've never had an IDP and driven in the EU loads of times - whoops!

Micky

As a member of the EU, UK driving licences are currently recognised and can
be exchanged with each member state. However, should the UK leave the EU
without a deal, UK drivers would be required to obtain an International Driving
Permit (IDP), to use in conjunction with their current UK driving licence, for any
car journeys to EU countries.

As the Isle of Man has never been a member of the European Union, Island
residents have never benefited from the same level of recognition and exchange
of licences as the UK. Manx drivers have always been required to carry an IDP
when driving in the EU
and this position remains the same, regardless of the
outcome of EU/UK negotiations. It is an obligation that should always have been
adhered to, although this may not always have been the case in practice.
It would appear that until now, some Isle of Man drivers may have driven in EU
countries without an IDP, and because they have not been readily distinguishable
from UK drivers this has gone unchallenged. However, once the UK leaves the EU,
there may well be additional scrutiny of UK and Isle of Man drivers travelling to
the EU. 

https://www.gov.im/media/1364451/190006-no-deal-brexit-guide-interactive-update-2.pdf

I've experienced a lot of conflicting information about international driving licences around the world, coming from govt websites, car hire firms, worldwide AA equivalents and other websites.

IMO it is best to get one. If there's anyway to attach blame or fault, including a technicality, someone will try.

Be aware ----there is no such valid document as an International Driving Licence . There are lots of companies on the internet  that will offer them but they have no legal validity . 

You should get an International Driving PERMIT , issued by an official government department from the country that issued your main driving licence . The permit is valid alongside your actual licence, it is not a substitute for one.  

Archived