Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

On 9/13/2019 at 2:17 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Well nothing since the 27th August and the Twitter is similarly inactive.  They do still appear to be keeping Facebook up to date though, except that none of the recent posts actually seem to be about the works on the Prom.  I believe there are people working full time on this, you know.

There was a full time limited term contract for the engagement officer. I think it was paying about 30 grand. 

With the reputational damage associated with the role, its not one I would want on my CV. That said, it was an impossible task from day one. This was never going to go smoothly.

I wonder if they have actually seen the light and left, and taken the account passwords with them? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

There was a full time limited term contract for the engagement officer. I think it was paying about 30 grand. 

With the reputational damage associated with the role, its not one I would want on my CV. That said, it was an impossible task from day one. This was never going to go smoothly.

I wonder if they have actually seen the light and left, and taken the account passwords with them? 

£30 grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

But you're forgetting that the role of these contracts is to get some favoured person a place under the civil service umbrella.  Once there they pick up something more permanent, often one of those 'internal only' appointments.  (You'd think that being prepared to drop a contract halfway through wouldn't be much of recommendations, but there you go).  The fact they often don't then take on someone to complete the rest of the contract indicates it wasn't that important a position anyway.

Of course the whole idea of engagement officers and the like is nonsense anyway.  The people who should be interacting with the public are those in charge, who actually have the power to change things that are causing problems or the authority to explain why things are being done a particular way.  But rather than doing their job properly they put up a human shield of recent graduates who only have the authority to apologise profusely and promise improvements, but no ability to improve anything.  See also the  'Customer Services' departments of most companies.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Can someone please, please tell me why there are double tram tracks down at t'far end, when (obviously?) one would have been ample (if not profligate)

I agree, originally there was a single tram track but then, as tourism grew exponentially, a second track was laid. Now that we don't have anywhere near, or ever will, the peak tourism figures we once had then why oh why are we having two tracks, even if only for half the distance, it makes no sense whatsoever, and to add to the lunacy they are in the middle of the road again...utter madness, it makes no sense, even if the tracks are to have an electric tram (at some point in the future...maybe) it still doesn't make any sense...at all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

My bad - it was 20 to 25 grand

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/DisplayJob.aspx?JobId=6047

note: "You will be the public face of the project, and will bring an enthusiastic and energetic approach to the teams communication at all levels." 

I've never seen them front anything up? Anyone else?

If they were from off-Island by now they've probably been reduced to a gibbering wreck and been sectioned. Or just done a runner.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

My bad - it was 20 to 25 grand

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/DisplayJob.aspx?JobId=6047

note: "You will be the public face of the project, and will bring an enthusiastic and energetic approach to the teams communication at all levels." 

I've never seen them front anything up? Anyone else?

Well the person who is listed as the contact on the MyProm website is Mary Doyle, but she seems to have been appointed last August.  So presumably the post advertised back in December 2017 (which has a slightly different title) took a long while to fill or there is more than one person involved.  There are a few mentions of her in the media, mainly just after she started, but looking at the evidence given to the Tynwald Committee in July, it was exactly as I said above (l 1226 ff):

Mr Baggaley: As I was probably one of the first people to be affected, the first communication was with MyProm, with Mary Doyle. Obviously we then realised that – I am not being disrespectful Mary, but – this is something far bigger than one person can deal with. So we then went directly to the Department, to Keith Podmore, and liaised with him.
Then obviously as it grew, we realised that we need more help, so we went to our political Member, Mr Chris Robertshaw and latterly, Mr Rob Callister.

[...] Mr Brockhouse: Yes, same for us really.
My direct contacts: Keith Podmore, Mary Doyle, and no disrespect against the MyProm, but it is all about sympathy, empathy and PR spin, but no solutions. When you do get solutions, they take time. Again, do they have the teeth to make decisions, to get things moved on quickly?

Basically the contractors seem to do whatever they like and 'public face' just goes round apologising without the power to alter anything.  

Edited by Roger Mexico