Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

=====================================================================================================================

Peel Road, Douglas – The Next Phase - Highways Division Press Release

The work to refurbish Peel Road is progressing well and is ahead of the original programme.

The Department of Infrastructure advises that work will shortly be moving to the next phase between the western entrance to Hills Meadow and the Circular Road junction, on the out-of-town side of the road. As well as the road reconstruction works, a new surface water outfall pipe will be laid across Peel Road between Belmont Hill and Hills Meadow. This is part of an ongoing flood alleviation scheme for this area of Douglas, which is being carried out in conjunction with the Water and Sewage Authority. The new upgraded outfall to the river will help reduce the frequency of flooding incidents on Peel Road as well as improving capacity in the wider catchment. It is anticipated that this phase of the works will take 9 weeks starting from Monday 29th July.

In view of the depth of excavation needed for the drainage works and the narrowing of Peel Road in the vicinity of the Brown Bobby junction, it will only be possible to retain one lane and therefore the works will need to be done using temporary traffic lights to manage traffic passing through the work area.

This unfortunately requires Circular Road to be closed to traffic heading out of Douglas, however, inbound traffic will still be able to use this route. No alternatives to this closure are available and the Department seeks the patience of road users whilst this essential work is undertaken.

The Lord Street / Peel Road route will remain available for both outbound and inbound traffic, however, drivers are strongly advised to find an alternative route during this phase of the work to help minimise travel delays.

Parking will be restricted in the area with stopping, waiting and parking in the lay-bys opposite the petrol station suspended in order to be able to provide an emergency access route through the works. All road users need to respect this temporary loss of parking facilities, which is necessary to enable fire appliances and ambulances to attend any serious incidents.

All businesses on Peel Road and Pulrose Road remain open and accessible throughout the course of these works.
The Department apologises for the delays that these works will cause, and is grateful for the continued public support to enable this major improvement project to be completed.

=====================================================================================================================

DOI set to start work on Douglas Promenade refurbishment scheme - Highways Division Press Release

The Department of Infrastructure is preparing to commence work on the first phase of the multi-million pound Douglas Promenade refurbishment scheme after receiving Tynwald approval earlier this month. The first phase running from Peveril Square to the site of the former Villiers Hotel on Loch Promenade will start the process to re-establish the status of the Promenade as the gateway to the capital of the Island. The work will include the following features:-

• Reconstruction of the northbound carriageway
• Improvements at Walpole Avenue and Victoria Street junctions
• Installation of a new surface water drainage system, gullies and kerb drains
• Safer and more direct pedestrian crossing points at Victoria Street and Loch Promenade
• Improvements to pedestrian areas around Peveril Square, Walpole Avenue and Victoria Street
• Use of natural stone derived materials on the footways and pedestrian areas
• Relocation of the Jubilee Clock by approximately 8 metres to the south to facilitate Victoria Street junction improvements, and to make the area around the clock more accessible.
• Removal of unsightly street furniture, railings and fencing around the Sea Terminal, Peveril Square and the Jubilee Clock

The total cost for this phase of the scheme will be £1,658,000. The main contractor will be the Department’s Operations Division, but approximately 50% of the labour and plant element of the works will be sub-contracted to the local private sector.

The works will commence on Monday 5th August of this year with a completion date of 18th May 2014. Whilst the work will continue through the Manx Grand Prix festival, it will be completed in time for TT 2014. An extensive traffic management plan has been produced to keep traffic flowing for the majority of the project without the need for traffic signals and road closures, except for a very limited period. The horse tram operations will not be affected by this phase of the works, and will proceed alongside the other major projects in Douglas town centre and Peel Road without any major traffic impact.

Whilst these works are progressing on site, the Department will continue to develop plans for future phases of the Promenade scheme.

Minister David Cretney said
“I am delighted that we are finally making a start on refurbishing Douglas Promenade. The current condition creates a poor impression of the Island for residents and visitors. Not only will this project create short term jobs in the construction industry, but I believe that it will compliment the wider regeneration initiatives and help to promote the wider economy by creating a gateway and positive first impression of the Island that is fit for the modern era.”

Well actually as a cycle person (I've been out on it once) I have to tell you it is quite annoying. The police are making a big noise about people on bikes on pavements, I am a grown up, I am fairly proficient on a cycle and was wearing a helmet....I still went on the pavement along Peel Road because the cars would have been way too close & the pavement was much safer - bloody nuisance.

I'm with you on this one Bees, I accompany my children whilst they ride their bikes on the pavement and as much as we go to the prom or Noble's park or even out on the private road by our garage there are times where they need to ride around the neighbourhood and there is no way I am having them on the fecking road yet so I'll quite happily have the police speak with us.

I appreciate the work has to be done but why have several major projects on at the same time. I would much prefer if they sent all available Manpower to get Peel Road sorted and then moved on to the Prom rather than do two at a time. Surely that would cause less disruption

• Like 3

I know it's intimidating, but if you ride correctly it's not as dangerous as you think, and the pavement is often more dangerous. Hopping up and down curbs into traffic, avoiding pedestrians, cars coming from driveways makes for all sorts of obstacles.

That peel road bit, just stand your ground, the cars will have to wait.

I appreciate the work has to be done but why have several major projects on at the same time. I would much prefer if they sent all available Manpower to get Peel Road sorted and then moved on to the Prom rather than do two at a time. Surely that would cause less disruption

And Ballanard Road.

I just can understand why you wouldn't put all your men and machines on Ballanard Road and get it finished, then move into the next one.

If there's a reason why it wouldn't be finished in less time with more workers on it can cm someone explain it to me?

That may sound like the best way to do it and has likely been considered but the trouble is you are dealing with a job that is limited in how many people/ machines you can fit on the same site at the same time.

You could put more resources on Peel Road if you worked on more sections of it at once but that would mean much bigger delays to traffic it it was even possible.

That may sound like the best way to do it and has likely been considered but the trouble is you are dealing with a job that is limited in how many people/ machines you can fit on the same site at the same time.

You could put more resources on Peel Road if you worked on more sections of it at once but that would mean much bigger delays to traffic it it was even possible.

It's a bit like creating a soup, you can only have so many people preparing it, cooking it and then presenting it, if you add more people it doesn't make it any quicker, as the proverb says 'too many cooks spoil the broth'.

In 12 months time when Douglas looks a better and is a lot more pleasant experience to drive around then it'll all have been worth it. No pain no gain.

Agreed, and in a few years time with the Prom done and the former Villiers site sorted, Middlemarch site, former Bus station site, Summerland site and all the Strand Street etc. regeneration all completed Douglas should look amazing.

It's a bit like creating a soup, you can only have so many people preparing it, cooking it and then presenting it, if you add more people it doesn't make it any quicker, as the proverb says 'too many cooks spoil the broth'.

See , I could buy that if every time I walked along Ballanard, or drove along Peel Road there were loads of people working and getting in each others way.

Lets just say that having passed both nearly every day for a few weeks, I still thing if they put both workforces on one at a time the disruption to the public and local residents and businesses would be shorter.

Clearly I don't know what i am talking about, and it makes sense to have the whole site idle while its lunch or tea break time, and to have hundreds of yards of closed road with no one working on it.

I could understand that if it meant everyone working on the same bit of road, but you could do two parts of the same road at the same time surely?

I could understand that if it meant everyone working on the same bit of road, but you could do two parts of the same road at the same time surely?

Slim, I never posted that???

I'd rather the entire road was shut for four weeks solid and done than this utter fiasco of 80 weeks while they appear to do next to no work and make no discernible progress from day to day.