Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

I take your point, but when I cycle or walk past there regularly and see very little change from a day to day basis, I really don't think there's as much going as they'd like you to believe.

I dont care whether they're contractors or DoI salaried staff, they're still the responsibility of the DoI and I would expect them to be managed properly.

One man in a 20 tonne excavator can do a lot in a day without breaking a sweat but to the passing motorist it may look quiet down there?

Can he do as much work as two men in two excavators? It's a big site, I still can't believe that if the guys who are currently dragging Ballanard road out were there as well they couldn't achieve more each day.

So you expect them to be already at work while you are still commuting?

I could imagine the pasty faced horror of office workers if the boss decided that a certain job needed to be finished - so 7 day shift work will take effect immediately.

Fixed 9 to 5 contracts work well in some jobs and not in others. The idea that such contracts should be standard should have been abandoned probably 20 years ago.

This is a large repair to probably the main route into Douglas, probably the Island's busiest road. I think it appropriate to expect if the man power is available to rather than spread it over other jobs to throw it at the one so that two shifts are basically worked 7 days a week. Watching everything lie idle cos it is a weekend or after 4:00pm should be unacceptable.

In the UK on the main routes they are scheduled to be worked on at night and at weekends i.e. the quieter times to minimise disruption and speed a job up. Heaven forbid we had a modern attitude to such work.

I take your point, but when I cycle or walk past there regularly and see very little change from a day to day basis, I really don't think there's as much going as they'd like you to believe.

I dont care whether they're contractors or DoI salaried staff, they're still the responsibility of the DoI and I would expect them to be managed properly.

The Site Works Manager for the Peel Road Scheme is doing an excellent job and his standard of work is second to none, I regularly walk past the site and only when it's brew time or there's a discussion between management/design team and operatives or are taking a breather are they 'not working', there's more to the scheme than just hacking up the place and then laying tarmac, alterations need to be made when during the works things are exposed that weren't and couldn't be accounted for or predicted and these alterations/deviations need to be discussed and planned.

You'd be the first to moan and whine if they all went in like a bull in a china shop and then had to dig places up again due to not being done properly in the first place, sure breakages, faults and leaks not withstanding.

It's been roasting weather wise, would you have the guys doing the manual work slavishly work non-stop until they collapsed and then replaced with another operative so long as the scheme is done in what you personally class as an acceptable duration?

I'm not looking forward to Monday morning, it was a right fuck up there today now they've moved the traffic lights up towards the Brown Bobby - and that was only Saturday traffic. As you say Ans the progress is measurable by anyone using that stretch regularly as you can see how much (or not) tarmac has been dug out and replaced. Its a real piss poor job being done by a handful of people. Anywhere else in the UK and it would all have been finished by now.

I went through today as well. I think there will be a few angry posts on here come Monday.

It left me wondering if they should just entirely close the road between the Brown Bobby and Pulrose Bridge and whack it all in one go.

Doing one side and then the other surely can't be the best way of ensuring a quality even road.

I'm not looking forward to Monday morning, it was a right fuck up there today now they've moved the traffic lights up towards the Brown Bobby - and that was only Saturday traffic. As you say Ans the progress is measurable by anyone using that stretch regularly as you can see how much (or not) tarmac has been dug out and replaced. Its a real piss poor job being done by a handful of people. Anywhere else in the UK and it would all have been finished by now.

I agree about Monday morning because I too went that way today and ended up turning round and going via the ring road because of the non moving tailback from those lights.

I will now not attempt to go that route because I now know it is likely to end up with a long delay.

I may have to allow more time on Monday to get to where I want to get to in Douglas town centre but that is all, its not rocket science if you plan ahead as I said a few posts ago.

As for what Ron said, why should people be posting bad things on here on Monday when they are now aware that there is going to be big delays after what has been said in this thread?

If someone, having read this thread, decides to go via Peel Road Monday morning and comes on here moaning then they are not right in the head.

Oh and as for doing one side and the other not being the best way to get a smooth surface? FFS what century do you think these people are working in? Its not just "eyed in" you know, they use lasers and can work to very tight tolerances.

I agree about Monday morning because I too went that way today and ended up turning round and going via the ring road because of the non moving tailback from those lights.

I will now not attempt to go that route because I now know it is likely to end up with a long delay.

I may have to allow more time on Monday to get to where I want to get to in Douglas town centre but that is all, its not rocket science if you plan ahead as I said a few posts ago.

How many thousand cars come in to Douglas of a week day morning? If they all use different routes planning ahead then the different routes will get blocked because, lets face it, there aren't that many different routes. That's not rocket science either. This main arterial road should not be subject to delays for 80 bloody weeks. Its total madness. They should get their fingers out of their asses and just finish the job.

How many thousand cars come in to Douglas of a week day morning? If they all use different routes planning ahead then the different routes will get blocked because, lets face it, there aren't that many different routes. That's not rocket science either. This main arterial road should not be subject to delays for 80 bloody weeks. Its total madness. They should get their fingers out of their asses and just finish the job.

Well those from the North can approach Douglas via Ballanard Ro.........not, that won't work, ok via Governors Bridge. no road works there..........oh apparently there are. Errrrrrm. Perhaps through Onchan Traffic lights.

Perhaps they could work from home.

Hboy I can see where you are coming from but Peel Road is like a magnet to motorists, it is often not the best or quickest way to get into Douglas even when it is not being dug up.

The Ring Road although often a longer distance is the route I take a lot of the time depending on the time of day, it was Bruce Hannays baby and it has not caught on to be honest because it is very quiet most of the time which means a quick journey.

Try it, you will be surprised and in the main it is a smooth ride.............

Well those from the North can approach Douglas via Ballanard Ro.........not, that won't work, ok via Governors Bridge. no road works there..........oh apparently there are. Errrrrrm. Perhaps through Onchan Traffic lights.

That may well be the overall strategy, park & ride, walking and cycling or work from home.... A reduction in pollution, reduced congestion, more money in people's pockets, less wear and tear on the roads, safer for pedestrians......everyone's a winner :-)

Correct - my point exactly. Try to pick a main road into Douglas that is open and try to find an alternative route that isnt overloaded becuase of the closures.

That may well be the overall strategy, park & ride, walking and cycling or work from home.... A reduction in pollution, reduced congestion, more money in people's pockets, less wear and tear on the roads, safer for pedestrians......everyone's a winner :-)

So you've stupidly revealed the DOIs masterplan Matt. To fuck up the roads so badly that we'll all be wanting to travel by bus and keep those bus drivers in their lovely overpaid jobs? They are certainty going about this the right way if that is the plan.