Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Er....what about the business's, residents and fuel deliveries etc.....is it bollox to them cos you and ANS want it done quicker?

How many residents would not be able to access their property if the road between the bottom of Belmont Hill and the QB was closed?

Look, I understand why you're defensive, but the fact remains that your entire department is poorly managed, has scant regard for the residents of the Island and is mostly comprised of illiterate chimps without opposable thumbs. The number of concurrent projects that are attempted is staggering, when everyone outside your collection of inbred mouthbreathers can see that a less disruptive approach is for you to put more men on a smaller number of projects and get them finished quicker. Every project has a number of man days it requires to complete. More men on the project means less real time. If you can't see that either then you're no better than the workshy cretins you claim to "manage",

Oh, and I make no apology for wanting it done quicker. When I employ tradesmen, I want them to do the quickest and most professional job. As a taxpayer.....

• Like 1

Er....what about the business's, residents and fuel deliveries etc.....is it bollox to them cos you and ANS want it done quicker?

How many residents would not be able to access their property if the road between the bottom of Belmont Hill and the QB was closed?

Look, I understand why you're defensive, but the fact remains that your entire department is poorly managed, has scant regard for the residents of the Island and is mostly comprised of illiterate chimps without opposable thumbs. The number of concurrent projects that are attempted is staggering, when everyone outside your collection of inbred mouthbreathers can see that a less disruptive approach is for you to put more men on a smaller number of projects and get them finished quicker. Every project has a number of man days it requires to complete. More men on the project means less real time. If you can't see that either then you're no better than the workshy cretins you claim to "manage",

Oh, and I make no apology for wanting it done quicker. When I employ tradesmen, I want them to do the quickest and most professional job. As a taxpayer.....

I see where you are coming from, The residents up by Peregrine House would be affected along with the people who live between the Peregrine House entrance and the entrance for the Belmont Carvill Homes estate.

I understand what you are saying but it doesn't always work out that more operatives means a reduction in scheduled duration, although I agree in many cases it can.

The trouble with doing one scheme and then starting another upon completion is that it spreads the whole duration of all schemes over a longer period, for example: you know when you start refurbishing your house and by the time you finish one room its on to the next and then by time you've finished all the rooms it's time to do the whole lot again, well this is similar, kind of, or the roads are in such a state that they all desperately need doing, again I speak as an individual as I am not aware of the overall strategy my Department has planned.

I'm pretty sure the Dept wouldn't wish to inconvenience and annoy everyone just for the sheer hell of it and I would have imagined that all options would have been explored.

I've not posted here before so forgive me if I'm not up to speed on etiquette.

We're currently enjoying the driest summer for years and yet the work is restricted to Mon - Fri 8-4. Two weeks ago I was help up by temporary traffic lights in Union Mills whilst they resurfaced the road at 7am. Can they not work extra hours or stagger shifts to get the job completed in less than the farcical 80 week timescale?

I also note that Circular Road is closing to outbound traffic for 9 weeks (I think). This is obviously going to create problems, despite the roads being quieter due to people being on holiday. Is it not possible to make the road inbound to 3pm ish and outbound 3.15pm to 6.30pm ish to help get traffic out of Douglas?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

24r working in shifts through out the year. If you had all the labour etc on one project doing that then even if the max are working on the site at anyone time at present surely that at least half the time scale.

The impression given is there is no urgency in respect this job, they even stopped for a week during the TT. If this had been on the TT course it would never have got into this state in the first place but you can be damn sure it would have been done with a lot more urgency.

I see where you are coming from, The residents up by Peregrine House would be affected along with the people who live between the Peregrine House entrance and the entrance for the Belmont Carvill Homes estate.

I understand what you are saying but it doesn't always work out that more operatives means a reduction in scheduled duration, although I agree in many cases it can.

The trouble with doing one scheme and then starting another upon completion is that it spreads the whole duration of all schemes over a longer period, for example: you know when you start refurbishing your house and by the time you finish one room its on to the next and then by time you've finished all the rooms it's time to do the whole lot again, well this is similar, kind of, or the roads are in such a state that they all desperately need doing, again I speak as an individual as I am not aware of the overall strategy my Department has planned.

Affected yes. Prevented access no. You don't think they're already affected by this farcical process?

Your house analogy is apples and oranges. Although I do find it enlightening that you admit that all the roads are in a state. Makes me question who let them get that way...

I don't think your Department actually has a strategy, that's 90% of the problem. Even simple things like when Ballanard Road is closed at one junction in both directions, the traffic lights continue to turn green for them. It's irritants like that which really show up the blatant disregard for residents. You're all either incompetent or incredibly arrogant. Pick one.

• Like 1

24r working in shifts through out the year. If you had all the labour etc on one project doing that then even if the max are working on the site at anyone time at present surely that at least half the time scale.

The impression given is there is no urgency in respect this job, they even stopped for a week during the TT. If this had been on the TT course it would never have got into this state in the first place but you can be damn sure it would have been done with a lot more urgency.

There's an incentive to work slowly you know. It's the overtime they'll need to do to get the job finished in time.

There's an incentive to work slowly you know. It's the overtime they'll need to do to get the job finished in time.

Just been passed now. Three people looking at one of the traffic lights. Three moving bollards. two standing about, presumably supervisors as in shorts. hat was all in the new section towards the Brown Bobby end.

Elsewhere, nothing, not even a sign of a workman having a cupper.Machines standing down presumably for the weekend.

I appreciate what Matt says about there being a limited number who can work on a job, but the majority of us drive past to or from work, nipping into Douglas and we can see with our own eyes how a fair amount of the time nothing or not a lot is being done

It's the bullshit timescales that annoy me. There will be back slapping all round when Peel Road is completed within the 80 week timescale.

Of course it will get done within that. It was a ridiculous made up number to start with.

I can't wait to see the self conratulation when the prom is done in 9 years instead of the projected 10

• Like 1

I'd rather the entire road was shut for four weeks solid and done than this utter fiasco of 80 weeks while they appear to do next to no work and make no discernible progress from day to day.

That is a typical office workers thoughts. Those running and working on the project probably wonder what shiny arses do all day.

I've not posted here before so forgive me if I'm not up to speed on etiquette.

We're currently enjoying the driest summer for years and yet the work is restricted to Mon - Fri 8-4. Two weeks ago I was help up by temporary traffic lights in Union Mills whilst they resurfaced the road at 7am. Can they not work extra hours or stagger shifts to get the job completed in less than the farcical 80 week timescale?

I also note that Circular Road is closing to outbound traffic for 9 weeks (I think). This is obviously going to create problems, despite the roads being quieter due to people being on holiday. Is it not possible to make the road inbound to 3pm ish and outbound 3.15pm to 6.30pm ish to help get traffic out of Douglas?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery springs to mind.

Just been passed now. Three people looking at one of the traffic lights. Three moving bollards. two standing about, presumably supervisors as in shorts. hat was all in the new section towards the Brown Bobby end.

Elsewhere, nothing, not even a sign of a workman having a cupper.Machines standing down presumably for the weekend.

I appreciate what Matt says about there being a limited number who can work on a job, but the majority of us drive past to or from work, nipping into Douglas and we can see with our own eyes how a fair amount of the time nothing or not a lot is being done

So you expect them to be already at work while you are still commuting?

I could imagine the pasty faced horror of office workers if the boss decided that a certain job needed to be finished - so 7 day shift work will take effect immediately.

So you expect them to be already at work while you are still commuting?

I could imagine the pasty faced horror of office workers if the boss decided that a certain job needed to be finished - so 7 day shift work will take effect immediately.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who has done that in order to get an office based project finished, or to meet a deadline.

I've also worked on plenty of building sites although admittedly not on the roads. I don't see how anyone can seriously argue that it wouldn't be better for all concerned to run one major project at a time, put more men and machines on it, and work longer hours.

My contract of employment is quite specific in that I am expected to work to meet the needs of the business and that it may (and does) include weekend and evening work. I don't get paid overtime either. Unlike this lot who probably complain to management if they're two minutes late going for their tea break and who will book an hours overtime if they're two minutes past their finish time.

And please don't give me the whole "you're an office worker, how would you know" act. I've had a wide and varied employment history, including working as a concrete moulder, a forestry board worker, a factory machinist and several building sites doing the most manual of tasks. Your assumptions are wrong and I assure you I'm well placed to asses these people as lazy clockwatchers who have no interest in doing anything other than eking out a job for as long as possible to reap some overtime as they approach a deadline and having a good old chuckle about it.

You don't think the perception that DoI workers do nothing but lean on shovels all day came out of nowhere do you?

The work on Peel Road is in the main machine work; breaking up the concrete old road, digging out the old road base, spreading and compacting the new road base and finally laying the tarmac, all that is undertaken by machine and from what I have seen those machines are a contractors, not DOI.

There is very little manual work down there, so you will be lucky to see many people leaning on shovels as there is little need for shovels.

It is also because that most of the work is machine type work that you cant have lots more people or machines working there, there is no room.

It may be that because this job is mostly machine work that people are saying they dont see anyone doing any work? One man in a 20 tonne excavator can do a lot in a day without breaking a sweat but to the passing motorist it may look quiet down there?