Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Jesus, you jumped roadworks to paedo's.

In a way yes, to indicate what doesn't enrage me and what does.

Its very sad that you seem to think there are paedo's lurking round every corner and that this irrational fear stops you from being concerned about taxpayer money being wasted on badly executed roadworks and inefficiency in government. Personally worrying about protecting my kids against imaginary child abusers hiding in my garden hardly ever prevents me from going about my life.

You see there you go again, taking something and twisting it until it makes you at first appear quite the comedian but on further inspection one finds that you are merely lacking in a sufficient IQ to comprehend the difference between something that angers me but doesn't mean I fear it and something that doesn't anger me, so I will try to explain it in more simple terms so that you might be able to understand, ok, here goes:

The things that anger you don't anger me, the things you think I'm scared of don't actually scare me they just anger me......there, is that better for you? I hope so because other than draw pictures for you in the vain hope that you will be able to understand I really don't think that you'll be able to 'get it' and will continue to attempt to be the forum comedian and falling at the first hurdle as you so often do.

I can't believe how het up people are getting over this - it's not like we have 3 hours of tailbacks to negotiate - leave a little earlier and allow a bit more time. Or leave a little later, traie da looar an all that? And as for all the 'if this was the UK, it would be done so much faster / better, more efficently etc' - I don't think that is true. I see works on major roads in the UK scheduled for 2 years duration where they are trying to keep traffic flowing at the same time. And, as the saying goes, if it is so much better in the UK, there is (usually) a boat in the morning ..

I have to say, I do my utmost to avoid Douglas now, mostly because of all the ignorant turkeys desperately trying to get to their destination as quickly as possible - manners, generally, seem to have gone out of the window. It irks me that the common courtesies that used to exist, are disapearing rapidly, overrun by the selfish attitude of a growing majority of drivers.

I can't believe how het up people are getting over this - it's not like we have 3 hours of tailbacks to negotiate - leave a little earlier and allow a bit more time. Or leave a little later, traie da looar an all that? And as for all the 'if this was the UK, it would be done so much faster / better, more efficently etc' - I don't think that is true. I see works on major roads in the UK scheduled for 2 years duration where they are trying to keep traffic flowing at the same time. And, as the saying goes, if it is so much better in the UK, there is (usually) a boat in the morning ..

I have to say, I do my utmost to avoid Douglas now, mostly because of all the ignorant turkeys desperately trying to get to their destination as quickly as possible - manners, generally, seem to have gone out of the window. It irks me that the common courtesies that used to exist, are disapearing rapidly, overrun by the selfish attitude of a growing majority of drivers.

It's not just inconvenient though is it. It's inefficient, expensive and disruptive to a lot of local businesses.

The garage at the top of Bray Hill, the garage at Pulrose bridge, brown Bobby, Miletone, Eurocars, waltons, everyone on Hills Meadow, it must be costing them fortunes every week this farce drags on.

As well as that, we have people over for work on a regular basis, and its embarrassing.

Richmond Hill was the source of much amusement when month after month they were picked up from the airport to see hardly any progress since their previous visit, the approach to QB from the airport, and now Peel Road and soon the promenade.

People visiting regularly or looking to invest in offices here aren't getting a good impression of the place and see it as a joke. If they came back four weeks after a previous visit and saw people working all day on a a nearly completed new road it would give a much better impression than 6 months of driving through a building site with no visible work being done.

Edited by trmpton

I use the A46 round Lincoln occasionally, and it has had best part of 2 years worth of roadworks completed (July 2013) ... here are some of the local users comments:

'You're telling me it wasn't quick. 18 months for less than a mile of road and 4 months (ish) overdue. Private sector would have been quicker. And cheaper maybe? And there is still a single carriageway at either end. So the motorist can rush from one single slow road to another. Daft. How is that going to reduce journey times?'

'The driver in the video just needs to learn how to use roundabouts now!'

'Ace so now we've got a short pointless expensive stretch of dual carriageway between two single carriageways - so not helping the daily commute of anyone at all.'

'Completely agree with peters comment what was the point really?'

It would appear that roadworks on the island are no different to the UK, and most of the local population can figure out a much better, quicker, cheaper way of doing it ... now where are those 3000 navvies we hired? :D

What traffic lights would you put up Matt, to minimize the inconvenience of a random whole in the ground?

I've no idea why you try to goad me I only ever try to help the public and that public includes my family and friends, I try to do the right thing blah, blah, blah?

In answer to your question: Fairy Lights!