Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

How many thousand cars come in to Douglas of a week day morning? If they all use different routes planning ahead then the different routes will get blocked because, lets face it, there aren't that many different routes. That's not rocket science either. This main arterial road should not be subject to delays for 80 bloody weeks. Its total madness. They should get their fingers out of their asses and just finish the job.

Well those from the North can approach Douglas via Ballanard Ro.........not, that won't work, ok via Governors Bridge. no road works there..........oh apparently there are. Errrrrrm. Perhaps through Onchan Traffic lights.

Perhaps they could work from home.

That may well be the overall strategy, park & ride, walking and cycling or work from home.... A reduction in pollution, reduced congestion, more money in people's pockets, less wear and tear on the roads, safer for pedestrians......everyone's a winner :-)

So you've stupidly revealed the DOIs masterplan Matt. To fuck up the roads so badly that we'll all be wanting to travel by bus and keep those bus drivers in their lovely overpaid jobs? They are certainty going about this the right way if that is the plan.

I have no idea if that's the 'Masterplan' or not, I was attempting to lighten the thread up a bit, hence the smiley at the end.

I and my wife are travelling public too and we came along Peel Road this afternoon with three tired out children (Kids sports day) and we were in a queue for quite a while but hey, it's just one of those things, it's a bit inconvenient true but when measured against people whose relatives or friends died as a result of a train crash or being shot by government forces or rebel forces or extreme weather in Sounth America or Australia then it really does pale in comparison and hardly warrants a mention.

Who was comparing it to train crash deaths? Good job lightening up the thread you pillock.

I attempted to lighten it up with the previous post which wasn't acknowledged therefore I understood this to mean that people were continuing to be serious which I then compared with more serious global events....................you pillock.

it's a bit inconvenient true but when measured against people whose relatives or friends died as a result of a train crash or being shot by government forces or rebel forces or extreme weather in Sounth America or Australia then it really does pale in comparison and hardly warrants a mention.

Unfortunately, living in the Isle of Man, a train crash would hardly hurt anyone unless a stray cow had wandered onto the line; the government forces wear police uniforms [for another thread] while the rebels are mainly people like LDV whose only experience of 'shots' has been from small glasses in nightclubs. Extreme weather has also been touched on in a thread about the terrific heat - so hot that the reservoirs are a little bit below capacity and there's the ever-present threat of gorse fires causing damage running into tens of pounds.

Therefore, there's little left for us to be upset about and so we tend to turn our attention to the lazy tw-ts who require 18 months to redo a bit of road rather less than a mile long.

Well I guess Lonan that as either or both a tax payer and/or vehicle license payer if you feel that they are lazy tw*ts then you would be more than happy to go down to Peel Road and speak face to face and tell them they are lazy tw*ts? I am more than confident that if you do, they will be able to take ten minutes to explain the whole thing to you to the point that you may even accept their explanation.

Unlikely, Matt. I have, in the past, worked at digging roads - so I'm aware of the practices that went on then, and which I can still see going on now. Sorry to disillusion you and, by the way, that should be 'aggrieved' tax payer and/or vehicle licence payer.

You didn't do Peel Road by any chance first time round did you, I only ask because it's only getting re-done because it was in such poor shape and has been since atleast I came to the island over 25 years ago?

How many thousand cars come in to Douglas of a week day morning? If they all use different routes planning ahead then the different routes will get blocked because, lets face it, there aren't that many different routes. That's not rocket science either. This main arterial road should not be subject to delays for 80 bloody weeks. Its total madness. They should get their fingers out of their asses and just finish the job.

Well those from the North can approach Douglas via Ballanard Ro.........not, that won't work, ok via Governors Bridge. no road works there..........oh apparently there are. Errrrrrm. Perhaps through Onchan Traffic lights.

That may well be the overall strategy, park & ride, walking and cycling or work from home.... A reduction in pollution, reduced congestion, more money in people's pockets, less wear and tear on the roads, safer for pedestrians......everyone's a winner :-)

So you've stupidly revealed the DOIs masterplan Matt. To fuck up the roads so badly that we'll all be wanting to travel by bus and keep those bus drivers in their lovely overpaid jobs? They are certainty going about this the right way if that is the plan.

I have no idea if that's the 'Masterplan' or not, I was attempting to lighten the thread up a bit, hence the smiley at the end.

I and my wife are travelling public too and we came along Peel Road this afternoon with three tired out children (Kids sports day) and we were in a queue for quite a while but hey, it's just one of those things, it's a bit inconvenient true but when measured against people whose relatives or friends died as a result of a train crash or being shot by government forces or rebel forces or extreme weather in Sounth America or Australia then it really does pale in comparison and hardly warrants a mention.

You are such a smug little tool. Who is comparing roadworks to mass rapid transit death in Spain? The main point in this thread has been that, regardless of what people are prepared to put up with or not, 80 weeks is utterly pathetic as a work schedule on such a major road, and more thought should be expected to go into other road works like Governors, and Ballanard as they exacerbate the situation and add unnecessary extra pressure that turns something thats irritating into a total pain in the ass.

Your problem, like a lot of IOMG workers, is that you've lost all sense of perspective on what is acceptable or not, because in every situation you're right and everyone else is wrong, and how dare the public even dare to question that it might be any different. We're here to just put up with (and pay for) any shit you create and if we don't think its up to scratch - tough shit that's just the way it is. If a business took that attitude it would have gone bust years ago. If you took a faulty telly back to Waltons and they said "Tough shit its a cheap telly thats just the way it is, what do you expect us to do about it? We're the experts on everything and anything and you know fuck all about nothing so just do one" you wouldn't be using them again would you?

You are such a smug little tool. Who is comparing roadworks to mass rapid transit death in Spain? The main point in this thread has been that, regardless of what people are prepared to put up with or not, 80 weeks is utterly pathetic as a work schedule on such a major road, and more thought should be expected to go into other road works like Governors, and Ballanard as they exacerbate the situation and add unnecessary extra pressure that turns something thats irritating into a total pain in the ass.

Your problem, like a lot of IOMG workers, is that you've lost all sense of perspective on what is acceptable or not, because in every situation you're right and everyone else is wrong, and how dare the public even dare to question that it might be any different. We're here to just put up with (and pay for) any shit you create and if we don't think its up to scratch - tough shit that's just the way it is. If a business took that attitude it would have gone bust years ago. If you took a faulty telly back to Waltons and they said "Tough shit its a cheap telly thats just the way it is, what do you expect us to do about it? We're the experts on everything and anything and you know fuck all about nothing so just do one" you wouldn't be using them again would you?

Apparently you know me so well it would be pointless responding as you already know the outcome...I bow down to your superiority.

In all seriousness, I really didn't mean to come across as smug, I was merely attempting to contrast between something worthy to feel anger about and another to feel not so angry about.

You, along with anyone and everyone else are free to air your views and in fact if you feel that strongly about it contact your MHK who will then contact the department member and so on and so forth and I really don't mean that in a smug way, what I mean is that as I said previously there may well be a strategy in place with genuine reasons and if you contact the right people they may be able to explain this as I sincerely don't know anymore and it would be pure speculation on my part to hazard a guess.

Personally there are far more significant things that anger me than this or any other financially orientated things, in fact there aren't that many things that do anger me and the only ones that spring to mind are the protection of and continuation of paedophile rings and anything else that harms or hinders children, I'm sorry that I don't share your sense of priorities.

Hboy I can see where you are coming from but Peel Road is like a magnet to motorists, it is often not the best or quickest way to get into Douglas even when it is not being dug up.

The Ring Road although often a longer distance is the route I take a lot of the time depending on the time of day...

Hm. So the best way of getting into a town is the ring road around the town, presumably designed to avoid it. Does it not occur to you that this might suggest that the traffic planning is not exactly optimal?

Jesus, you jumped roadworks to paedo's.

In a way yes, to indicate what doesn't enrage me and what does.

Its very sad that you seem to think there are paedo's lurking round every corner and that this irrational fear stops you from being concerned about taxpayer money being wasted on badly executed roadworks and inefficiency in government. Personally worrying about protecting my kids against imaginary child abusers hiding in my garden hardly ever prevents me from going about my life.