Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

I'd rather the entire road was shut for four weeks solid and done than this utter fiasco of 80 weeks while they appear to do next to no work and make no discernible progress from day to day.

Ans, that is just wrong, have you not seen how many kerbs have been laid and how much concrete broken out, how much new tarmac laid? They are getting on rather well I think and they are keeping the traffic disruption to the minimum. They are also employing a private contractor, its by no means just the DOI doing the job.

They could not just shut the road, too many businesses and houses. I think we are used to the way the DOI did things a few years ago, they are much better now and on a job like this, in which the time taken to do the whole thing is mostly governed by the output of machines, they go better/ faster anyway. Its when you have jobs that are mostly manual work that they take ages because they dont want to break into a sweat.

• Like 1

I agree that all these jobs need doing and the Island will be a better place when they are finished but I drove along Peel Road from Pulrose Bridge to The Brown Bobby at 10 o'clock on Tuesday morning and the only sign of any activity was one man building a wall.

Surely they should be concentrating on getting this major route into Douglas completed as quickly as possible and displaying a bit more urgency. Ahead of schedule they may be, but whose schedule?

I'd rather the entire road was shut for four weeks solid and done than this utter fiasco of 80 weeks while they appear to do next to no work and make no discernible progress from day to day.

Are you kidding? They are making fantastic progress especially when you consider there is major re-construction involved and the fact that the utilities and local authority supplies have been re-routed and/or replaced along with a major overhaul and residing of the storm water drainage, in addition it is very high quality, and I'm not saying that because its my Department but even as a general lay person I think equally the same.

I agree that all these jobs need doing and the Island will be a better place when they are finished but I drove along Peel Road from Pulrose Bridge to The Brown Bobby at 10 o'clock on Tuesday morning and the only sign of any activity was one man building a wall.

Surely they should be concentrating on getting this major route into Douglas completed as quickly as possible and displaying a bit more urgency. Ahead of schedule they may be, but whose schedule?

1000 hrs is generally morning brew or break time.

10 O'Clock is tea break time finishing at 10:15 in the construction/ civil engineering industry

Lunch is 12:30 to 1:00

Afternoon tea break is 3:00 to 3;15

Some firms operate a 10:00 to 10:30 morning break and then have no 3:00pm break it depends what they have agreed.

Are you kidding? They are making fantastic progress especially when you consider there is major re-construction involved and the fact that the utilities and local authority supplies have been re-routed and/or replaced along with a major overhaul and residing of the storm water drainage, in addition it is very high quality, and I'm not saying that because its my Department but even as a general lay person I think equally the same.

No, but I think you are. You need to take your department tinged spectacles off. It's an absolute disgrace that replacing less than a mile of road takes a year and a half.

• Like 1

10 O'Clock is tea break time finishing at 10:15 in the construction/ civil engineering industry

Some firms operate a 10:00 to 10:30 morning break and then have no 3:00pm break it depends what they have agreed.

I will never understand that either. Obviously people need and are entitled to breaks, but how can it be efficient for everyone to stop at 10 regardless of what they are doing?

Surely it's more productive to break when the job you are doing presents a natural break rather than at a specific time? I assume if someone finishes one task at 9:50 they aren't going to start a new one until after playtime, so just break then. Likewise if you are in the middle of something at 10 crack on until its done rather than just down tools regardless.

Its a totally alien concept to anyone outside the construction industry, and I can't help thinking that staggered breaks would lead to a better public perception.

Obviously if you are working in a team on a task you have to break at the same time, but I can't believe the most productive time to do it is exactly the same every day regardless of what work is going on.

That peel road bit, just stand your ground, the cars will have to wait.

As a car driver, that statement is all I hate about cycles. I'm pretty handy on my bike but I still wouldn't ride on Peel road at the moment, the road is too thin. There's plenty of room on the pavement and during the time I was on it I did not pass one pedestrian.

I will never understand that either. Obviously people need and are entitled to breaks, but how can it be efficient for everyone to stop at 10 regardless of what they are doing?

Surely it's more productive to break when the job you are doing presents a natural break rather than at a specific time? I assume if someone finishes one task at 9:50 they aren't going to start a new one until after playtime, so just break then. Likewise if you are in the middle of something at 10 crack on until its done rather than just down tools regardless.

Its a totally alien concept to anyone outside the construction industry, and I can't help thinking that staggered breaks would lead to a better public perception.

Obviously if you are working in a team on a task you have to break at the same time, but I can't believe the most productive time to do it is exactly the same every day regardless of what work is going on.

But you have to have contracted hours with contracted times for breaks and lunch otherwise it's open to abuse, obviously if the specific task you are undertaking allows for stopping at a more relevant time eg when the task ends but before another begins, however if there are a group of operatives ALL participating on a specific task where the task depends on all aspects being done on unison, say road laying for example then it makes perfect sense for all to stop together and as road laying is a continuous thing then stopping at 1000hrs makes sense too, it also means that operatives are all together so if any health and safety issues, toolbox talks, amendments to plans, deviations to schedules etc. can be discussed afterwards.

In essence, it's a little bit different than working in an office ;-)

Edited by Matt Bawden

As a car driver, that statement is all I hate about cycles. I'm pretty handy on my bike but I still wouldn't ride on Peel road at the moment, the road is too thin. There's plenty of room on the pavement and during the time I was on it I did not pass one pedestrian.

Like it or not, the pavement is for pedestrians, the road is for vehicles. You're on a bike, you're a vehicle. That you don't think that way says a lot about why cycling is considered dangerous.

Agree with Ans too, accommodating the half open road must slow the process down. Just close it, deal with the divert for a shorter time and get it over with.

I am fully aware I am on a vehicle, I'm a little old lady slim, I don't have all the lycra pants and the go faster t-shirts, I just wear a skirt and t-shirt, works fine - I don't go zooming about the place I just potter along, I could easily get off and walk (Although I did get into super fast gear the other day, for a short period). Is it OK to walk with a bike on the pavement? You couldn't really take a car on the pavement though, could you? It's not dangerous unless people are inconsiderate, which is something I find most cyclists on the roads to be - yer a bloody menace.

Like it or not, the pavement is for pedestrians, the road is for vehicles. You're on a bike, you're a vehicle. That you don't think that way says a lot about why cycling is considered dangerous.

Agree with Ans too, accommodating the half open road must slow the process down. Just close it, deal with the divert for a shorter time and get it over with.

Er....what about the business's, residents and fuel deliveries etc.....is it bollox to them cos you and ANS want it done quicker?

• Like 1

I'm not an expert on road works mat, but I think accomodating resident access is different from keeping a lane of the main road fully open. Still, be glad when it's done either way, Peel Roads been shite for as long as I can remember.

It's not dangerous unless people are inconsiderate, which is something I find most cyclists on the roads to be - yer a bloody menace.

It's against the law to ride on the pavement, a cyclist isn't being inconsiderate, he's obeying the law.

Yes, you can push your bike on the pavement.

Baffled why you say you're scared of riding on the road in one post, then slag cyclists for riding defensively in another. It's not about being selfish, it's about being safe.