NHS Consultant Contract / Private Practice.

Manximus Aururaneus

15 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Bit of a "do you still beat your wife" sort of question. :)

Both centralised state planning and unfettered market forces have proved to be inappropriate social models over the ast 100 years.  Mayb there's a third way?

There is a third way. Nuffield Hospitals , a Registered Charity with a £1 billion group turnover. They are already sub-contracted by some NHS Trusts to perform a range of elective procedures.

IOMG could invite Nuffield to take over the management and operational activity of Nobles (excepting A&E), agree a fee per patient for treatment and where Nuffield are unable to provide some services work with them and other Island-based charities to develop the necessary product/response to the demand so that the work stays on the Island.

Of course they won't be able to handle everything and some patients will need to go off-Island as they do now. But frankly I don't see any reason why IOMG shouldn't at least consider outsourcing most services. Perhaps they have considered it but are too lily-livered to make a decision of such magnitude or Cyril's Servants would look down on it, or even fear for their own jobs(?).

In the long term there's no reason why Nuffield IOM could not itself be a centre of excellence in a particular discipline and actively market it, health tourism, if you will. There would be spin offs within the local economy, accommodation for example.

I think that with a bit of foresight and the will to turn the current situation around it could work. Whatever, the continual long term drain on taxpayers money for shortfalls in revenue and pensions etc is unsustainable.

If hospital services were a charity then I wouldn't have an issue with making donations (as well as my contributions via NI fund). Most of us would like to know that the money we contribute goes directly to providing the services required, I'm not sure the money currently being paid into the NI fund for Nobles is the best or most efficient way. Perhaps the Michaels report will highlight that.

ETA: I started writing the above before the MR News article.

ETA: Then there's the Nuffield Trust. Being a part of that would help develop an ongoing collaborative model.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Neil Down said:

I have no problem with private health care if the person can afford it. I do however have a problem that on the island the private patients are/were being treated at Nobles using the staff normally employed for NHS work. The other major problem is that no matter what your thoughts are on the current NHS. X amount is being collected yet XXX is going out. Do the maths

When I went to Nobles for a 'private ' endoscopy' I was billed for the use of a room for a day  which I waited in for under an hour and for a meal ( didn't have), not complaining , just saying :flowers:( I just felt rough and wanted to get home:)).

3 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

Seems very odd indeed to initiate this consultation immediately before Michaels reports. His recommendations may have a direct bearing on the ability to provide/nature of private healthcare. Why not just wait a few more weeks and factor in what he says? Perhaps somewhere in a shadowy room the decision has already been made to disregard Michaels.

12 hours ago, craggy_steve said:

Locking the stable door after the horse has bolted springs to mind.   They made a decision to close beds and private wing and now want to consult the public on future, did they  have a plan before they made that  decision?  Idiotic management at its best. 

3 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Locking the stable door after the horse has bolted springs to mind.   They made a decision to close beds and private wing and now want to consult the public on future, did they  have a plan before they made that  decision?  Idiotic management at its best. 

Not really. More to it, as usual.

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Well it was never an upgrade was it? It was an excuse to close the place and piss a load of consultants off (most of whom have now subsequently left the island) and that’s about it. 

Sinister things happening within our NHS!

1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Whatever happened to the Noble's private patient unit 'upgrade'?  Everything on that front seems to have gone very quiet.

I don’t know but I’d like to. One thing’s for sure; Ashford won’t know either. More broadly, every bloody thing at DHSC has gone quiet. Not least, here we are several months after Couch vamoosed and still no leadership.

2 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I don’t know but I’d like to. One thing’s for sure; Ashford won’t know either. More broadly, every bloody thing at DHSC has gone quiet. Not least, here we are several months after Couch vamoosed and still no leadership.

there was no leadership when he was there.

Went to London last weekend, a very pasty, unhealthy looking, worried, grandpa Munster ( aka Boy David Ashford ) came off the City flight arriving ronaldsway around mid day on Friday and was seen again arriving at City from Ronaldsway on Sunday just before 4pm.

Surprising to see him in daylight, really.

22 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

Went to London last weekend, a very pasty, unhealthy looking, worried, grandpa Munster ( aka Boy David Ashford ) came off the City flight arriving ronaldsway around mid day on Friday and was seen again arriving at City from Ronaldsway on Sunday just before 4pm.

Unhealthy looking senior health people is usually the way - Quayle and Charters for example.

1 hour ago, Kipper99 said:

He's always looked like that. Looked like that in primary school.

Archived