Manx tenancy contract

Mole62

I'm letting out my first Manx property (have let property out in Australia and the UK for a while), and searching old threads on these forums it's always stated that UK agreements aren't compliant with Manx Law. Nobody seems to say why though..... also there's no real guidance or sample contracts I can find onlione?   Despite the details on gov.im, the  landlord and tenant (private housing) bill 2014 never seems to have happened, so the newest legislation I can find is the 1954 Act http://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1954/1954-0003/ConveyancingLeasesandTenanciesAct1954_1.pdf  

Surely there's more than this? It seems to be very brief, I'm probably missing something but from that I can't see why an amended UK contract wouldn't be valid. I have messaged an advocate about a Manx contract but no reply yet; I don't mind paying a fair price for one as it's not really worth my time digging into this...... but my experiences in Aus and the UK meant I had to examine the details in the end anyway - when things got a bit confrontational it became clear the Agents didn't really know the details (and had left me exposed with their sloppiness).

I've always used a sightly amended UK Assured Shorthold Tenancy document (just with references to the specific UK tenancy laws removed/replaced with IOM).  

Never had any issues with it and had a couple of nightmare tenants where we've had to rely upon terms in the agreement. 

8 hours ago, Mole62 said:

Cheers; I'll amend one of my UK ones and run with that

Glad you are not just making money out of our shitty housing situation where young local Manx born people can’t get a mortgage and are forced to pay what the lovely private landlord wants to charge for usually sub standard property.

Sounds like it is a business praying on the less well off.:(

18 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

You against private landlords then dilli? 

In the main, yes

I know a couple of very good ones but I know of many, many bad ones.

We , the taxpayer are making lots of them very wealthy, while our young are paying through the nose for shitholes that should be demolished 

How can our youngsters ever save for the deposit for a mortgage, when they are paying £1000 per month to some greedy bastard, when that is higher than the repayments on the mortgage they can’t get.

Just now, ballaughbiker said:

Perhaps if there was enough social housing....

Or much more first time buyer houses. Nobody aspires to getting a council house, do they ?:o

The Gov spends millions and millions refurbing or rebuilding council houses knowing  that they will never recoup the money spent, yet do next to nothing to help people buy their own place and get a good return on their investment thus not costing the taxpayer a penny.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Glad you are not just making money out of our shitty housing situation where young local Manx born people can’t get a mortgage and are forced to pay what the lovely private landlord wants to charge for usually sub standard property.

Sounds like it is a business praying on the less well off.:(

Good to see you're not making a load of random assumptions there. My tenants are renting short term until they find a suitable house to buy, they're quite capable of getting a mortgage. The house I'm letting was sat on the market for the best part of a year and Manx people with mortgage offers backed out of buying it. The property is hardly sub-standard. Yes, there's issues with housing affordability, but there's also issues with any Government spending taxpayers money on "help to buy" type schemes - as these tend to push house prices up for first time buyers more than anything. I didn't have any help in buying my first house, I saved up a deposit and bought it (by renting cheap shitty accommodation that is far worse than anything I've ever let out) when mortgage interest rates were over 10%. If you think landlords are bad, you should see what some tenants are like - I wouldn't have believed it until I unfortunately saw it with my own eyes. Most tenants are fine though tbh. Have a nice day :-) 

12 minutes ago, Mole62 said:

Good to see you're not making a load of random assumptions there. My tenants are renting short term until they find a suitable house to buy, they're quite capable of getting a mortgage. The house I'm letting was sat on the market for the best part of a year and Manx people with mortgage offers backed out of buying it. The property is hardly sub-standard. Yes, there's issues with housing affordability, but there's also issues with any Government spending taxpayers money on "help to buy" type schemes - as these tend to push house prices up for first time buyers more than anything. I didn't have any help in buying my first house, I saved up a deposit and bought it (by renting cheap shitty accommodation that is far worse than anything I've ever let out) when mortgage interest rates were over 10%. If you think landlords are bad, you should see what some tenants are like - I wouldn't have believed it until I unfortunately saw it with my own eyes. Most tenants are fine though tbh. Have a nice day :-) 

Says a lot, but also says nothing to counter my post.

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Says a lot, but also says nothing to counter my post.

Perhaps I'm not really trying to counter your post just for the sake of it? 

Maybe the issue isn't housing affordability as such, but more about low pay for most people under 30? When my niece was working an apprenticeship, on day release it cost her more to park her car than she earned in that day.

5 minutes ago, Mole62 said:

Perhaps I'm not really trying to counter your post just for the sake of it? 

Maybe the issue isn't housing affordability as such, but more about low pay for most people under 30? When my niece was working an apprenticeship, on day release it cost her more to park her car than she earned in that day.

Not sure. But some young single people earn too much to get a gov mortgage and too little for a bank one on their own

21 hours ago, Mole62 said:

I'm letting out my first Manx property (have let property out in Australia and the UK for a while), and searching old threads on these forums it's always stated that UK agreements aren't compliant with Manx Law. Nobody seems to say why though..... also there's no real guidance or sample contracts I can find onlione?   Despite the details on gov.im, the  landlord and tenant (private housing) bill 2014 never seems to have happened, so the newest legislation I can find is the 1954 Act http://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1954/1954-0003/ConveyancingLeasesandTenanciesAct1954_1.pdf  

Surely there's more than this? It seems to be very brief, I'm probably missing something but from that I can't see why an amended UK contract wouldn't be valid. I have messaged an advocate about a Manx contract but no reply yet; I don't mind paying a fair price for one as it's not really worth my time digging into this...... but my experiences in Aus and the UK meant I had to examine the details in the end anyway - when things got a bit confrontational it became clear the Agents didn't really know the details (and had left me exposed with their sloppiness).

5 posts,all on this thread and you're asking about tenancy contracts because you haven't had a reply to a message?  Are you really willing to pay a fair price for a contract,or are you an insecure wet blanket who hasn't the gumption to contact a legal adviser face to face?.  

As well as the 1954 Landlord & Tenant Acts ( 4 Acts that have to be read together ) there is the Landlord & Tenant ( Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 and the Housing (Rent Control ) Act 1948.

Using a proforma agreement from another country won’t be effective as you may not put in the correct words, permitted exclusions and warnings required by Manx Law.

You wouldn’t use a French, Scots or NI form in England, would you? Or vice versa? 

Archived