Manx tenancy contract

Mole62

On 4/30/2019 at 8:18 AM, display name said:

5 posts,all on this thread and you're asking about tenancy contracts because you haven't had a reply to a message?  Are you really willing to pay a fair price for a contract,or are you an insecure wet blanket who hasn't the gumption to contact a legal adviser face to face?.  

I'm obviously an insecure wet blanket - clearly you are able to tell that from my posts with your superpowers. I bow to your wisdom O Great One (even though I can't actually see the point of your post at all. I don't have many posts because I don't generally post anywhere unless it adds something positive to a thread.)*

*I made an exception this time.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, John Wright said:

As well as the 1954 Landlord & Tenant Acts ( 4 Acts that have to be read together ) there is the Landlord & Tenant ( Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 and the Housing (Rent Control ) Act 1948.

Using a proforma agreement from another country won’t be effective as you may not put in the correct words, permitted exclusions and warnings required by Manx Law.

You wouldn’t use a French, Scots or NI form in England, would you? Or vice versa? 

The tenants have moved in now; I did read through those Acts - which are surprisingly brief compared to a lot of UK Acts - and drafted an agreement. If / when it's tested in Court I'll know how good it is.  

6 hours ago, Mole62 said:

The tenants have moved in now; I did read through those Acts - which are surprisingly brief compared to a lot of UK Acts - and drafted an agreement. If / when it's tested in Court I'll know how good it is.  

Good for you! What we need is someone to do for law what Specsavers did for optical services and Easyjet/Ryanair did for flying. Don't hold your breath though.

Got a mate of mine with a legal background to look over my UK tenancy contract for me to use on the island. Changed a couple of obvious wordings and he said it was good to go.

We give the legal profession too much credit just so they can keep their cosy little club going. The reality, I think, is the emperor has no clothes once you start to think for yourself and not continue to feed the trough without giving it a second thought.

Think you could also say that about most of the other professions - medics and accountants spring to mind. 

I've never been to court with a tenant; the one time it was heading that way she declared herself bankrupt. Other tenants just disappeared. Whenever I've been to arbitration or tribunals (as a tenant as well as a landlord), specific contract terms haven't come into it.

14 hours ago, Mole62 said:

Think you could also say that about most of the other professions - medics and accountants spring to mind. 

I've never been to court with a tenant; the one time it was heading that way she declared herself bankrupt. Other tenants just disappeared. Whenever I've been to arbitration or tribunals (as a tenant as well as a landlord), specific contract terms haven't come into it.

Medics?

10 hours ago, PmJ said:

Medics?

Often blinkered, arrogant and useless from my personal experience. Not going to air all that on a public forum though; take it as my personal opinion and nothing more.

Archived