Makes us 4 pound fifty per can as thy sweet mountain air

the stinking enigma

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sheer devilness I'd sell the air out the back of our bog window after I've had a night on the Guinness.

A bloke from Newcastle became famous for selling sand to the Arabs. He literally made £millions.

It later transpired that this was because the sand in Arabland is derived from nuclear explosion or whatever and is rounded and useless for building, but good ol' Geordie sand is from sea shells etc and is jagged and excellent top quality sand for buildings  that will last.

When I first saw bottles of water for sale in supermarkets I thought it was a joke. I realised there was Perrier water for posh folk at dinner parties but that was the days of yuppies. Then plastic bottles of plain water went on sale. I couldn't then and I still can't believe it.

34 minutes ago, gettafa said:

When I first saw bottles of water for sale in supermarkets I thought it was a joke. I realised there was Perrier water for posh folk at dinner parties but that was the days of yuppies. Then plastic bottles of plain water went on sale. I couldn't then and I still can't believe it.

I bake (ok, chuck it in the breadmaker, switch it on, walk away) all our bread and since I first tried it I now always use bottled water.

Because it makes a difference to the finished product.

Why is that?

Tap water was fine for everything back in t' day. 

Maybe you are in a hardwater area?

If I was the head of Isle of Man Water Authority/MU and I saw all those plastic bottles of water in Tesco/Shoprite then I would see a big 'YOU FAIL' sign on every single bottle.

Or we fail. How much did we all stump up for the super duper water treatment plant(s)? And then fork out more for bottled water..

6 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Why is that?

Tap water was fine for everything back in t' day. 

Maybe you are in a hardwater area?

I'm not sure tbh.

I do know that it rises slightly better and has a better texture.

The water across is medium I think.

But then you stick to the winning formula.

Back on island in a few days so I'll try the tap water and maybe save myself 18p a week...

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

I'm not sure tbh.

I do know that it rises slightly better and has a better texture.

The water across is medium I think.

But then you stick to the winning formula.

Back on island in a few days so I'll try the tap water and maybe save myself 18p a week...

Spend it wisely my son...

14 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Spend it wisely my son...

If it all pans out I'll probably blow the lot on fast cars and fast women!

Any change I'll spend foolishly....

(Dear me, how old is that!)

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

This is nothing new, canned Manx air was sold in the souvenir shops in the time that we had tourists.

Indeed.  When I saw this on the front of the paper I thought that they would have been more honest printing "There's F*** All News This Week".

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Indeed.  When I saw this on the front of the paper I thought that they would have been more honest printing "There's F*** All News This Week".

You could attribute that headline to most weeks Roger...

Archived