NHS - Guernsey

GD4ELI

From a tweet:

Zoe Andrews @_Zoe_Andrews: Currently sat in A&E here in Guernsey and thought I’d take a picture of the charges. Quite sobering and genuinely I’m missing the nhs. Cherish your #nhs #cherish #healthcare

D9ShQEQXsAAf6FM.jpg:large

Seems fair enough, especially for a small place.  The NHS in its present form even for a place the size of the UK is unaffordable and must be funded other than just by direct taxation.  For the IOM it's crazy to even try to continue using the UK NHS model.

39 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

Great.  Bring it on.  You would be astonished at the number of people who book an appointment with the doctor (because it's "free")  when their problem could be treated with simple over-the-counter remedies which they could have bought at the pharmacy. 

So if you have a genuine problem, a person should also pay?

3 minutes ago, BallaDoc said:

OK, I spoke slightly tongue in cheek.  But seriously, I think more should be done to encourage people to self treat minor illnesses, or things which aren't really illnesses in the traditional sense, like sprains and strains, anxiety, difficulty sleeping, workplace stress, upcoming court case stress, exam anxiety, flight anxiety, ferry anxiety (eh?) and so on.  All of these things, and many, many more, find their way to the door of the GP, and then people who have more traditional medical illnesses wonder why they can't get appointments. 

Couldn't agree more. We used to get asked by the receptionist for a brief "description" (for want of a better word" of our ailment. Apart from sprains and strains, I'm with you all the way. 

9 hours ago, BallaDoc said:

Great.  Bring it on.  You would be astonished at the number of people who book an appointment with the doctor (because it's "free")  when their problem could be treated with simple over-the-counter remedies which they could have bought at the pharmacy. 

Common sense! Then perhaps people who actually have a real need for the service might actually be seen within a reasonable time.

GP’s receptionist admits every single appointment is a personal defeat

A DOCTOR’S receptionist takes every single patient who successfully manages to see a doctor as a painful personal defeat, she has admitted. 

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/gps-receptionist-admits-every-single-appointment-is-a-personal-defeat-20181028178768

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Common sense! Then perhaps people who actually have a real need for the service might actually be seen within a reasonable time.

Wouldn't happen Wooley. The powers that be would just lower the number of doctors according to a cost per patient basis. Can't spend unnecessarily on the plebs you know.

Archived