Discussion on MR

hissingsid

There was an interesting discussion on MR at 5.30pm today about the cabinets plans to give planning permission to build over two thousand dwellings on the Island.   Shimmins spoke well citing the number of empty properties there were at the last census, and pointed out in Castletown whilst plans had been put forward for the green field sites the brown field sites had sparked no interest.  I am not a fan but he spoke well and put his point over he reckoned it was stupid when the correct calculations had been nearer just over 1000.   Defending the plan was waffler Thomas who reckons we must plan for the future etc, etc..  Funnily the question of keeping building firms happy was not brought up !!!Unfortunately I could only listen piecemeal to the whole discussion but it makes me wonder just what the illustrious Cabinet Office will come up with next. Making wrong calculations, then amending them but still going ahead with the plans based on the first, incorrect, set of figures is bothering Shimmins it is bothering me too.   Makes you wonder who really calls the shots in this green and pleasant land.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If those same sad old pensioners bring their pensions with them and by so doing cover the costs of imports that they create then they could well be a saving grace.  

Because unless every person can by their efforts not earn in exports more than they add to the cost of imports raising the population numbers will just reduce he time untill it's game over.

1 minute ago, MrPB said:

They don’t anymore. UK pensions are paid from the UK yet we meet the full cost of all their healthcare and other needs. 

So what about the Manxies living in the UK then...

14 minutes ago, MrPB said:

They don’t anymore. UK pensions are paid from the UK yet we meet the full cost of all their healthcare and other needs. 

A lot of people now have private pensions and / or wok related pensions - I do myself.  Likewise private healthcare, I have as part of my "works" pension and I am far from being alone in this respect.

I remember how as tourism rapidly tailed off the "when I's" came in.  Then it was mostly people repatriating from the colonies that were being granted their independence but today there's a whole lot of people who are retiring with good to very good pensions and UK property that will be at risk when, not if, when Labour gain office.  It's something that could be a market well worth exploring.

Me?  I'll not return to the island. Too many sad memories but it it were not so it's a thing that I would have considered very seriously when I retired.

I didn't think that Shimmings made much sense. "Don't build on fields build in town" was his rant. Essentially he thinks people should be cramped together in ever smaller and smaller flats  with no outside space whilst land outside town is left to rot as a mucky farmers' fields only occupied by a few sheep and mud.

I bet he lives in an "executive home" built on a greenfield site in the country. 

37 minutes ago, Declan said:

I didn't think that Shimmings made much sense. "Don't build on fields build in town" was his rant. Essentially he thinks people should be cramped together in ever smaller and smaller flats  with no outside space whilst land outside town is left to rot as a mucky farmers' fields only occupied by a few sheep and mud.

I bet he lives in an "executive home" built on a greenfield site in the country. 

Left to rot?

45 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I’m not seeing many down sides in that statement. 

No, you probably don't.  But then what you've never had you'll never miss. 

16 hours ago, MrPB said:

Shimmins is a lot better an MHK than he comes across to many. I think he gets the silliness of the situation as the plans totally fly in the face of reality. However, this place is now totally on its arse. We probably do need to start looking at bringing in more people (provided they’re not the same sad old pensioners we’ve been bringing in for years) to grow jobs and to grow the economy. But surely they need to offer grants first so that all the crap property that’s hung around for years can be cheaply done up by local people. Otherwise new builds are just going to devalue those properties further and nobody is still going to be able to get a mortgage on them to even move them on. Let’s face it nobody is coming here on a salary of £150k a year to buy a £500k new build in Balla Wanker Heights anymore. They’re generally working people on lower incomes put off moving here by high property values and property ownership costs. Or e-gaming people renting as they know they won’t be here long enough to make buying an option. So i’m not sure what Thomas thinks he’s trying to achieve. 

My view IOMG should initiate a 'deep retrofit' scheme on the island to counter carbon release in new builds & help initiate a green economy

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/deep-retrofit-grant/

16 hours ago, MrPB said:

Shimmins is a lot better an MHK than he comes across to many. I think he gets the silliness of the situation as the plans totally fly in the face of reality. However, this place is now totally on its arse. We probably do need to start looking at bringing in more people (provided they’re not the same sad old pensioners we’ve been bringing in for years) to grow jobs and to grow the economy. But surely they need to offer grants first so that all the crap property that’s hung around for years can be cheaply done up by local people. Otherwise new builds are just going to devalue those properties further and nobody is still going to be able to get a mortgage on them to even move them on. Let’s face it nobody is coming here on a salary of £150k a year to buy a £500k new build in Balla Wanker Heights anymore. They’re generally working people on lower incomes put off moving here by high property values and property ownership costs. Or e-gaming people renting as they know they won’t be here long enough to make buying an option. So i’m not sure what Thomas thinks he’s trying to achieve. 

Nobody knows what Mr Thomas is trying to achieve

Is he being bullied by Quayle into satisfying the needs of housing developers?

Even Dandara are protesting the bonkers East Area Plan

2 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Building 'upwards' in urban areas rather than outwards in green fields is the architectural imperative nowadays

And rightly so.  Once a piece of land has been "developed" it really is left to rot.

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Building 'upwards' in urban areas rather than outwards in green fields is the architectural imperative nowadays

Pity. Everyone living on top of each other in rabbit hutches. Whilst perfectly good land is left for rabbits to run around in.  

Archived