Discussion on MR

hissingsid

36 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Manx Radio are always very careful to pick guests that won't cause too much controversy and toe the line set out by their paymasters.

Bit like MLC selection then

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Is he being bullied by Quayle into satisfying the needs of housing developers?

Or the "needs" of the landowners...?

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Pity. Everyone living on top of each other in rabbit hutches. Whilst perfectly good land is left for rabbits to run around in.  

Well I'd infinitely rather see open spaces and wildlife than lots of little boxes spoiling the environment.   The last time I visited the island for yet another funeral apart from the vandelism that bad destroyed the once staggeringly beautiful sweep of Douglas Prom was the rash of horrid little grot boxes around the place.  

47 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

But if they didn't then surely more people would be available for other work?

What other work though, with the state of the economy as it is? If, for instance, 2000 people in building and associated and supply industries are made redundant, what would we give them to do? Bit like culling the Civil Service?

3 minutes ago, Rog said:

Well I'd infinitely rather see open spaces and wildlife than lots of little boxes spoiling the environment.   The last time I visited the island for yet another funeral apart from the vandelism that bad destroyed the once staggeringly beautiful sweep of Douglas Prom was the rash of horrid little grot boxes around the place.  

I'll agree there Rog, some of the construction methods are appalling and I have to wonder what the planning department is doing allowing the cladding type construction of even some prominent buildings. Opportunities lost in trying to make our island beautiful with architecture befitting the place really annoys me. We may as well be one giant housing estate outside Glasgow or some other post industrial wasteland! Brownfield sites are without doubt the answer, although it would appear that building on green fields seems to be the way they want to go, in the belief that they will attract people to live in a rural paradise! Once it's gone, it's gone!

No one wants to see massive estates on what were once rolling fields but sometimes it works out OK. I remember the fields where governors hill is now and that's worked out alright in the end.

The absolute mess of new Peel on the other hand...

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'll agree there Rog, some of the construction methods are appalling and I have to wonder what the planning department is doing allowing the cladding type construction of even some prominent buildings. Opportunities lost in trying to make our island beautiful with architecture befitting the place really annoys me. We may as well be one giant housing estate outside Glasgow or some other post industrial wasteland! Brownfield sites are without doubt the answer, although it would appear that building on green fields seems to be the way they want to go, in the belief that they will attract people to live in a rural paradise! Once it's gone, it's gone!

I think the preference for greenfield sites is simply because it makes life easier (and gives bigger profits) for the contractors.  As with the road building it's their priorities that matter and everyone else (except the landowners) are ignored.  Not only are the requirement of the wider public ignored, but even the interests of those who will end up living in the buildings.

It's not unique to the Island, but it's been pretty bad here since the rise of Dandara - a lot of the problems are due to what happens when you have one dominant player in a market.  I suspect things have got even worse recently since Boot has been in charge as he seems ideologically committed to the belief that the only purpose of government is to help rich people get richer and so will override or pressure the professional planners.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

What other work though, with the state of the economy as it is? If, for instance, 2000 people in building and associated and supply industries are made redundant, what would we give them to do? Bit like culling the Civil Service?

Apparently lots of people are needed to do jobs on the Isle of Man

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think the preference for greenfield sites is simply because it makes life easier (and gives bigger profits) for the contractors.  As with the road building it's their priorities that matter and everyone else (except the landowners) are ignored.  Not only are the requirement of the wider public ignored, but even the interests of those who will end up living in the buildings.

It's not unique to the Island, but it's been pretty bad here since the rise of Dandara - a lot of the problems are due to what happens when you have one dominant player in a market.  I suspect things have got even worse recently since Boot has been in charge as he seems ideologically committed to the belief that the only purpose of government is to help rich people get richer and so will override or pressure the professional planners.

Even Dandara are opposing the madness of the Thomas planning grab for the 'Green Gap'

1 minute ago, Donald Trumps said:

Even Dandara are opposing the madness of the Thomas planning grab for the 'Green Gap'

Well of course, if you're the dominant player in a market you don't want it expanded so much that others can enter as well.  They will want permission to be automatic for all the sites they own/option but nowhere else.  Not having a plan enables this, which may explain why all these area plans have been stalled for long.

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Apparently lots of people are needed to do jobs on the Isle of Man

Yes, but lots of those jobs are already in the building trade. And lots of those other jobs aren't suitable for brickies and joiners and builders labourers.  

Archived