Received a call this morning, computer generated womans voice, telling me my internet will be cut off in 24 to 48 hours. I need press one to speak to my internet provider. I simply hung up. The worry is it was my landline number which has been ex directory for more than 30 years. Only immediate family & my bank have it. A lucky shot by some kind of number generator of some thing more sinister?

7 minutes ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

Received a call this morning, computer generated womans voice, telling me my internet will be cut off in 24 to 48 hours. I need press one to speak to my internet provider. I simply hung up. The worry is it was my landline number which has been ex directory for more than 30 years. Only immediate family & my bank have it. A lucky shot by some kind of number generator of some thing more sinister?

The computer rings all possible numbers. Being ex-directory doesn't help.

• 1 year later...

Here's a strange one, London accented man phoned my mobile yesterday and said "Alright mate, its John hows it going" - so I thought it was someone I knew and got a bit panicky because I had no idea who John was. Anyway after a couple of exchanges he asked me if I still wanted the shorts & called me Claire, by now I realised he had the wrong number which I told him then he asked if I wanted the shorts and started flirting with me, saying I have a nice voice (utter lies, I sound dreadful). I didn't want the shorts nor his flirtation so I said "Have a nice day, goodbye now." and went off the phone.

I was telling my friend about the call later, my friend said it was a scam to get my address to steal my identity! Pfft! Shocking, I could have easily been sucked in, for example had he said "Would you like some chocolate?" I'd have been well in, shorts? behave.

Archived