Property Market Overdeveloped, Government Policy To Blame?

Donald Trumps

1 hour ago, asitis said:

There has to be some reason, which isn't immediately apparent, why Dandara are building 282 houses in Ballasalla, having just listened to the radio news it seems there is a 21% unoccupied  property rate in the South of the island ! 

Yes, the number I heard quoted for Rushen in the article was around that. Lowest number of unoccupied properties was in Bride - probably because nobody lives there full stop :lol:

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, the number I heard quoted for Rushen in the article was around that. Lowest number of unoccupied properties was in Bride - probably because nobody lives there full stop :lol:

I used to know Phyllis Christian, a lovely lady who live in Bride. Admittedly she did die a while ago.

8 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Stu Peters is to discuss this shocking 15% vacancy rate with callers & listeners in the first part of his #TalkingHeads show lunchtime today

Why though? 15% is hardly a shocking "vacancy rate". And discussing it on local radio will add nothing.

An empty house affects nothing long term. No more than an empty field does.

More and more people are extending their properties instead of moving everywhere you go there are extensions getting built.    The house market is going to crash anytime soon and when people realise it would be cheaper to pay a mortgage than pay these ridiculous rents the second house investors are going to be left with empty properties which a lot will be paying mortgages on and egg dripping all down their faces.

10 hours ago, MrPB said:

Probably, you’d have thought that government would have worked out by now that the costs to rent or buy on the IOM is the biggest thing actually holding our economy back and yet they allow more building on the same terms. Nobody is going to come here on an average salary to pay £800 a month plus for a property that they could have for £600 a month elsewhere in the north of England unless the salary and tax benefits are massively different but they aren’t. Same with asking prices people can’t afford to make the jump so they just don’t move here after having a quick look at an estate agents website. Then you have employers saying how hard it is to recruit staff and that everyone wants too much money. No shit Sherlock wonder why? 

That £ 600 property rented  across would have had an additional expense of another £150 to £200 a  month on council tax / water / sewerage.

Most landlords here include the rates /sewerage /water etc in the rent but some do not.

Electric/ gas/ internet etc is the major additional  expense here.:-(

59 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I think we can all agree the Manx housing market is skewed, probably corrupt in some sense and not working.

Many seem to have theories why, no one seems to have solutions. 

There are plenty of fairly obvious solutions (this is not an inevitable problem), however most of them are against the grain of the dominant Manx political ideology. 

The interesting thing is trying to guess what will happen when this bubble bursts, because while it will inevitably hurt those near the bottom (though maybe not as badly as it could if you’re only renting), it seems highly likely to hurt a few people who are heavily invested near the top, and that is something the IOM usually tries to avoid of course. Makes you wonder what they’ll do then. 

18 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

There are plenty of fairly obvious solutions (this is not an inevitable problem), however most of them are against the grain of the dominant Manx political ideology. 

The interesting thing is trying to guess what will happen when this bubble bursts, because while it will inevitably hurt those near the bottom (though maybe not as badly as it could if you’re only renting), it seems highly likely to hurt a few people who are heavily invested near the top, and that is something the IOM usually tries to avoid of course. Makes you wonder what they’ll do then. 

When it hits those near the top they'll do what they did with Sefton and bail them out with an unlawful but not illegal loan of some sorts.

37 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

That £ 600 property rented  across would have had an additional expense of another £150 to £200 a  month on council tax / water / sewerage.

Most landlords here include the rates /sewerage /water etc in the rent but some do not.

Electric/ gas/ internet etc is the major additional  expense here.:-(

Oh, That's ok then. carry on regardless. Poor landlords. ………………...……...……......……………...Bollocks

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I'm reliably informed on the Twitter by Chris Thomas that net immigration is c.400 persons per annum - so I was wrong. 

In respect of the property market - have a butchers at this: http://manxmove.im/property/scarlett-house-is-a-luxurious-detached-georgian-style-home-ex-show-house-in-a-desirable-location-with-sea-views-and-easy-access-to-fabulous-coastal-walks-nearby/#.XWlRoiMrJdg

Not quite sure why it is listed as 45 Knock Rushen, because I'm pretty certain it is number 1, which in 2014 was sold for £1.15m and allegedly again in 2018 for £1.3m. 

It's now available for £865,000. so someone, in the space of less than 12 months, is willing to take a £400k hit. Notwithstanding it is empty, and someone clearly needs to offload it quickly, that is some kick in the slats. 

Do they know something we don't?

Was this just passed around companies within the same group to make it seem like it is generating business whilst being rented out?

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:
5 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Huge downturn in vehicle registrations

Any links for this, DT? Genuine question.

I can't find any figures for 2018-19, but the figures for 2017-18 were just under 60,000.  Except for one year (which looks like some timing anomaly), that is the lowest on the graph you can see there.

3 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Was this just passed around companies within the same group to make it seem like it is generating business whilst being rented out?

That may well be one of the few houses there that are not kit houses, with a layer of cladding on the outside. Some nice places there were built from the old barns and have real walls etc,

Just (admittedly very briefly) looking through that little mine of information (thanks Roger M.) what stands out for me is almost all the various graphs and numbers showing improvement and/or everything on the climb. Like it's all just too good to be true.

Or am I just being cynical?

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just (admittedly very briefly) looking through that little mine of information (thanks Roger M.) what stands out for me is almost all the various graphs and numbers showing improvement and/or everything on the climb. Like it's all just too good to be true.

Or am I just being cynical?

That island in numbers was posted on here some months back and that was exactly my conclusion!

Archived