New car registrations as an indicator of economic stability.

Max Power

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, woolley said:

I heard this from various contacts too, but I thought it had all the authority of a man down the pub story. I think if I was about to invest £13 million in a public facing business located in a jurisdiction where I hadn't previously traded, I would have the wit to google the population and look at various sources before I took anyone's word for it. Wouldn't you?

Well, the apparent customer footfall should be telling them all they need to know by now?

6 hours ago, woolley said:

I heard this from various contacts too, but I thought it had all the authority of a man down the pub story. I think if I was about to invest £13 million in a public facing business located in a jurisdiction where I hadn't previously traded, I would have the wit to google the population and look at various sources before I took anyone's word for it. Wouldn't you?

I heard it from someone who was there when it was reportedly said! I personally think the over enthusiasm of the directors led them into it? I guess they will have to answer for it to the shareholders eventually? 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I heard it from someone who was there when it was reportedly said! I personally think the over enthusiasm of the directors led them into it? I guess they will have to answer for it to the shareholders eventually? 

Had a quick look once and the mark ups are insane.

They might have got away with it a few decades ago but with sites like carwow you can get UK dealers to compete and give you great deals.

I do understand that they have costs of transport but will that be more than £500 or maybe even £1000 per car. 

Do UK dealers get some volume based discount? 

8 hours ago, woolley said:

As I said, very interesting. I know we have to start somewhere. I did mention earlier the elusive cure for cancer always being "a couple of decades" away, but perhaps a more pertinent analogy would be nuclear fusion, which would give us endless, safe, dirt cheap power if only we can make it work.

It's true that we're promised that endless power from nuclear fusion is guaranteed in 40 years time - and that people have been making the same promise for about 60 years[1].  But no one has ever credibly promised 'the' cure for cancer.  Instead there have been many different solutions for many different sorts of cancer and millions of people who would have died from cancer didn't and went on to live much longer.  Miracle cures for everything only exist in Daily Express headlines - and that relies on their readership being so old and forgetful that they don't realise they read the same bullshit the week before.

But maybe most improvements in energy issues are more like those in cancer treatment than the 'jam in 40 years time' of nuclear fusion.

[1]  Come to think of it, I shudder to think how long I've been making that joke for.

12 minutes ago, woolley said:

Depends on your costs and how much you invested in the first place.

And how much competition you've got and possibly, how captive your market is?

16 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Had a quick look once and the mark ups are insane.

They might have got away with it a few decades ago but with sites like carwow you can get UK dealers to compete and give you great deals.

I do understand that they have costs of transport but will that be more than £500 or maybe even £1000 per car. 

Do UK dealers get some volume based discount? 

They have no transport costs for new cars, the manufacturer pays that, however they will have to pay for used cars, SPCo charge about £250 for an unaccompanied car, plus transport to Heysham. 

The larger UK dealers are in a better position to take advantage of volume discounts (registration bonus) due to their higher sales volumes, they have the same terms here but it's not a great aid to sales. If you have a manufacturer's sales target for the month of say 10 and you manage to sell 12, you will get a higher bonus on all cars sold, maybe a couple of per cent. Sometimes the percentage for registering a given number of certain models is higher but it's not easy to take advantage here as you can easily become over stocked by trying to chase a target. UK dealers have a lot more customers and can move these pre registered cars more quickly, and profitably. Sometimes these UK dealers are surviving on their registration bonuses, impossible here as every little deal counts.

Archived