New car registrations as an indicator of economic stability.

Max Power

I've just seen the new car registration statistics for the twelve months up to March 2019. Bear in mind that the figure up until c.2008 was always around 2,300 new units and had fallen as low as c.900 up to about four years ago, we now have a figure of 734 new cars registered over the twelve months. 

This is an indication of many things, not least that people don't have as much disposable income as they once had.  

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I've just seen the new car registration statistics for the twelve months up to March 2019. Bear in mind that the figure up until c.2008 was always around 2,300 new units and had fallen as low as c.900 up to about four years ago, we now have a figure of 734 new cars registered over the twelve months. 

This is an indication of many things, not least that people don't have as much disposable income as they once had.  

I got poo poo'd on here for suggesting such a thing years ago.

When I was involved in the industry it was something like 3100 registrations per annum!

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Brexit doesn't help - many are saving rather than splashing out. There are very good deals available, especially on commercial vans and mobile homes.

I am quite interested in buying a new car but all this electric/hybrid/low emission crap is just making me uncertain so I won't part with my money until I sure that whatever I buy is future proofed! Bet you thats why lots are holding back from buying new.

54 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It's just taking Jackson's a while to get up to speed, that's all. Once they get into full swing.... :lol:

ETA. I went past there twice today, AM and PM. Not a punter to be seen, inside or out. To be fair it was during the working hours though.

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

And cars are getting more reliable. I got mine, new, in April 2015 and have no intention of changing it anytime soon. 

Mine's a 2014 Volvo, I'll probably keep it until I'm either too old or too stupid to drive anymore. 

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

True 'nuff, a 12-15 year old car now is in pretty good shape. Mines 17 and in better shape that cars you would see in 70s/80s of half that age!

In the case of Lancia it would be only half the car as well.....

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

All our disposable income being siphoned off into the government's back pocket is where the problem lies.

And this is why most area's of our economy are in the doldrums.

But then they're to stupid to realize that!

Less siphoned and more pumped out I'd say....

Archived