New car registrations as an indicator of economic stability.

Max Power

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

Davies became Automart, owned by the Quayle brothers, they relinquished Triumph to Mylchreests and took on Toyota. Hamills was in Derby Square, they ran coaches also and sold out to John Stott as Derby Garage. Santon Motors was opposite where the Santon Motel is now, it blew down one night in a storm, cars blocking the road etc!

Max, wasn’t it John Scott, not Stott? There was a John Scott with a BMC dealership in Victoria Road, early 60s; in the premises later occupied by Padgett’s Suzuki.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Santon motors were the Citroen agents late 60s/early 70s.

That was John Moore. And it was John Scott had the garage on Victoria Road. 

I think he moved there from Derby Square, which then had an eclectic mix of Italian rust buckets, Alfa, Lancia, that sort of thing.

And wasn’t the divide between Mylchreests and Quayle’s Athol Garage that one had Austin and the other had Morris, before Athol went on to Datsun/Nissan.

22 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Max, wasn’t it John Scott, not Stott? There was a John Scott with a BMC dealership in Victoria Road, early 60s; in the premises later occupied by Padgett’s Suzuki.

It was John Scott, I somehow mistyped his name.

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That was John Moore. And it was John Scott had the garage on Victoria Road. 

I think he moved there from Derby Square, which then had an eclectic mix of Italian rust buckets, Alfa, Lancia, that sort of thing.

And wasn’t the divide between Mylchreests and Quayle’s Athol Garage that one had Austin and the other had Morris, before Athol went on to Datsun/Nissan.

I think Scotts Garage preceded his purchase of Derby Garage? I recall it as Hamill's and VW with Coaches parked at the rear car park in winter and touting for passengers in Derby Square in summer.

Yes, Mylchreest had Athol Garage and married into Faragher and Ashtons, selling Athol to the Quayles and renaming the Westmoreland Road dealership Mylchreests. He had Austin, amongst all the other BMC brands except Morris which went with the Athol. Other BMC sub dealers were Central Motors, Scott's Garage and Empire Garage.

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Twas Lewis Collins Aka Bodie from the professionals.

Really? I saw him in the Round bar several times, I wondered what brought him here.

22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It was John Scott, I somehow mistyped his name.

I think Scotts Garage preceded his purchase of Derby Garage? I recall it as Hamill's and VW with Coaches parked at the rear car park in winter and touting for passengers in Derby Square in summer.

Yes, Mylchreest had Athol Garage and married into Faragher and Ashtons, selling Athol to the Quayles and renaming the Westmoreland Road dealership Mylchreests. He had Austin, amongst all the other BMC brands except Morris which went with the Athol. Other BMC sub dealers were Central Motors, Scott's Garage and Empire Garage.

Really? I saw him in the Round bar several times, I wondered what brought him here.

I was at the opening, the thing that sticks with me to this day was the rust blisters all over the brand new Alfasud Sprint in the showroom!

37 minutes ago, finlo said:

I was at the opening, the thing that sticks with me to this day was the rust blisters all over the brand new Alfasud Sprint in the showroom!

Remember the black ones with the celtic 3 legs emblem they had painted up for the Tynwald millennium in 1979? Wonder how many saw 1981...? :lol:

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Remember the black ones with the celtic 3 legs emblem they had painted up for the Tynwald millennium in 1979? Wonder how many saw 1981...? :lol:

Who sold Alfa's before they and Saab rucked up in Ramsey?  I know Saab were at Ballaugh garage along with FSO Polenez and possibly rear engined Skoda's.

46 minutes ago, finlo said:

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Wasn't that Eurocars when they opened in Kingswood Grove? Or am I going bonkers? I remember they had Citroen and Lotus also.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I think Scotts Garage preceded his purchase of Derby Garage?

Definitely. Derby Square came later. I also remember Island Garages outlet on the junction of Desmesne Road and Westmoreland Road - Rootes dealership - Hillman, Singer and Humber. Later they sold Simca and Lancia.

51 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It wasn’t just Alfa - the wife of a neighbour bought a white 1275 MG Midget from Mylchreests in 1972, drove it from their place on Westmoreland Road to Hill Street, parked it for about 10 minutes, and when she returned it wouldn’t start! 

Archived