New car registrations as an indicator of economic stability.

Max Power

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

+1

We're the same and we're prepared to run our existing motor for as long as it takes for the collective motor industry to get it's arse into gear (pun intended) and start producing low emission vehicles that are affordable. Until they get together and start pooling/sharing technology then government(s) and others won't be able to plan for installing the thousands of charging stations needed to make the whole thing work.  

Personally I'm keeping what I have, or may get a newish one of what I currently have but then in 2021 if Fisker produces what he says he is I'll be buying a Fisker EV SUV. 

18 hours ago, trmpton said:

Ah that’s why then.

People are leasing vehicles now, and they have nearly all been registered in the UK before they get here.

i have had 9 in the last two years.

That only works if you have a UK address to raise the finance and register the vehicle. There are companies here who do PCPs but not generally as competitive as manufacturers subsidised plans. PCPs haven't taken off quite like they have in the UK but unless you are being clever, like you are, you are restricted to Manx providers who don't need a new car to be registered in the UK. PCPs were introduced in the mid 90s and Manx buyers were availing themselves of the system then, the car was still registered first on the IoM.  

18 hours ago, trmpton said:

Same as my comment above.

”people” don’t buy cars any more.  Lease companies do.

Hence the increase in new registrations in the UK and then decrease over here.

The IoM registrations don't really have much effect on UK statistics, one dealer would manage to sell more cars than are registered in total here. Many lease companies in the UK will not provide finance on the IoM, including most manufacturers.

5 hours ago, James Hampton said:

@Max Power where do the figures come from? Is it Government or Industry? Got a link? 

Just curious. Thanks. 

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders produce the figures from DVLA information. All IoM registrations are still recorded by the DVLA.

9 minutes ago, Stitch said:

Not worth a new topic..........but who can name the car dealerships of the 60's/70's?

I can recall a few, but not all the obvious ones

Raymotors & Mylchreests. Vondy's sold Opel ??? Someone sold Saab down a side street in Ramsey.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:37 PM, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Can’t see why they would do that. Surely the lease has to be a with a Manx leasing company and therefore a Manx registered car for you to get tax relief on the payment.

No.

Many UK leasing companies are willing to accept Manx clients.

Raymotors, EB Christian and Empire sold Ford. Mylchreests in Douglas, Castletown and Ramsey sold Austin/Morris BMC, Rover, that became British Leyland, Jaguar and LR and Rolls Royce for a while. Kirk Michael Motors sold Lada and I think, Polski Fiat (for their sins), the various Island Garages outlets had Vauxhall/Opel, Fiat, Talbot and some other oddities, Eurocars sold Citroen, Ayre Motors sold VW and Peugeot. What was the Island Garage commercials workshop in West St, Ramsey sold Saab when IG closed and the premises were sold.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:12 PM, Max Power said:

That only works if you have a UK address to raise the finance and register the vehicle. There are companies here who do PCPs but not generally as competitive as manufacturers subsidised plans. PCPs haven't taken off quite like they have in the UK but unless you are being clever, like you are, you are restricted to Manx providers who don't need a new car to be registered in the UK. PCPs were introduced in the mid 90s and Manx buyers were availing themselves of the system then, the car was still registered first on the IoM.  

The IoM registrations don't really have much effect on UK statistics, one dealer would manage to sell more cars than are registered in total here. Many lease companies in the UK will not provide finance on the IoM, including most manufacturers.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders produce the figures from DVLA information. All IoM registrations are still recorded by the DVLA.

Not sure whether your meant PCH when you wrote PCP.

PCP is just a deferred loan with an option to give the car back at the end of the term and walk away

Real leasing is PCH.

Agree that isle of man providers are not as competitive as the UK ones..

But i did contact a few in the UK and they were willing to set it up for me ( and even deliver the car here )

Also noticed lots of Electric cars on th Island ( mostly leaf's) . Prices of used ones have hit a sweet spot and if you have a limited company there is no BIK on these (So thats  at least another 20% off)

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Raymotors, EB Christian and Empire sold Ford. Mylchreests in Douglas, Castletown and Ramsey sold Austin/Morris BMC, Rover, that became British Leyland, Jaguar and LR and Rolls Royce for a while. Kirk Michael Motors sold Lada and I think, Polski Fiat (for their sins), the various Island Garages outlets had Vauxhall/Opel, Fiat, Talbot and some other oddities, Eurocars sold Citroen, Ayre Motors sold VW and Peugeot. What was the Island Garage commercials workshop in West St, Ramsey sold Saab when IG closed and the premises were sold.

Impressive memory..........Ayre motors, I had totally forgotten.

Strangely the Coop sold Toyota originally, from their garage next to the Railway Inn, where Seven Kingdom Distillery Bar is today! Quayles on Peel Road sold Renault, Davies Garage sold Triumph on Westmoreland Road, Finch Hill Motors sold Hillman and other Rootes Group brands, Hamill's in Derby Road were VW and later Peugeot under John Scott who sold BL cars in Victoria Road, Kingswood sold Daf, Santon Motors Citroen and BMW. There have been lots of changes over the years. 

Archived