New car registrations as an indicator of economic stability.

Max Power

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, asitis said:

Even when visiting the tip these days you need your wallet with you in case something you have incurs a charge which you didn't foresee! 

Bollocks to that - do what I do; chuck your crap over a hedge in Kirk Michael and improve the place.

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

Just brand new car registrations. Not necessarily supplied by an island dealer though, just first registered here. The 'nearly new car' phenomenon is nothing new and was always a large part of car sales on the island. It's due to manufacturers pre-registering cars to boost their sales figures and then dealers off loading them at big discounts. 

UK new sales were riding high at record levels during this period, the IoM has not matched this, quite the reverse in fact.

Ah that’s why then.

People are leasing vehicles now, and they have nearly all been registered in the UK before they get here.

i have had 9 in the last two years.

58 minutes ago, Max Power said:

. The UK market broke all previous records at over 2.5m new cars. Some of which will be those cars offered later as nearly new of course but the vast majority will be bona fide sales.  

Same as my comment above.

”people” don’t buy cars any more.  Lease companies do.

Hence the increase in new registrations in the UK and then decrease over here.

Walk through Strand Street, all the clothes shops have year long sales and promotions the only shop busy today was Dealz where there were queues.   Every other shop is a charity shop or coffee shop.    No one in Flannels, what a surprise, Markies had a flurry over the lunch hour and that was in the food department, it is feeling the pinch share price right down.   Everyone is skint, proper skint, and the young ones who go out with 50pounds for a night out are living on credit cards.    Just notice how quiet town is at night around the 20th of the month all waiting for pay day.

7 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Just notice how quiet town is at night around the 20th of the month all waiting for pay day.

Never mind the 20th of the month, it's like that 365. Friday and Saturday nights are like a wet Sunday or midweek night. Yet our Govt proposes massive project after massive project at costs of millions upon millions, cruise berths, grandstands, Liverpool dock. Where's the money coming from?

14 hours ago, Last Ten said:

I am quite interested in buying a new car but all this electric/hybrid/low emission crap is just making me uncertain so I won't part with my money until I sure that whatever I buy is future proofed! Bet you thats why lots are holding back from buying new.

+1

We're the same and we're prepared to run our existing motor for as long as it takes for the collective motor industry to get it's arse into gear (pun intended) and start producing low emission vehicles that are affordable. Until they get together and start pooling/sharing technology then government(s) and others won't be able to plan for installing the thousands of charging stations needed to make the whole thing work.  

I've never wanted a new car. Always been happy to buy vehicles that are at least ten years old but with low mileage, they are out there! We then keep them for as long as keeping them roadworthy is economically viable. At the moment we have a 2003 Maverick, 70,000 miles, for work, a 2007 Nissan Note, 60,000 miles  and a 1998 VW campervan., 140,000 miles.

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Never mind the 20th of the month, it's like that 365. Friday and Saturday nights are like a wet Sunday or midweek night. Yet our Govt proposes massive project after massive project at costs of millions upon millions, cruise berths, grandstands, Liverpool dock. Where's the money coming from?

Ni fund at a guess!

Archived