New car registrations as an indicator of economic stability.

Max Power

59 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Not sure whether your meant PCH when you wrote PCP.

PCP is just a deferred loan with an option to give the car back at the end of the term and walk away

Real leasing is PCH.

Agree that isle of man providers are not as competitive as the UK ones..

But i did contact a few in the UK and they were willing to set it up for me ( and even deliver the car here )

Also noticed lots of Electric cars on th Island ( mostly leaf's) . Prices of used ones have hit a sweet spot and if you have a limited company there is no BIK on these (So thats  at least another 20% off)

No, I meant PCP, most cars in the UK have been sold through this method recently. It's like personal leasing rather than normal leasing which is only available to VAT registered companies. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stitch said:

Kingswood is coming back to me, and the Coop....Don't remember the Triumph dealer or Hamills, or Santon Motors

Davies became Automart, owned by the Quayle brothers, they relinquished Triumph to Mylchreests and took on Toyota. Hamills was in Derby Square, they ran coaches also and sold out to John Stott as Derby Garage. Santon Motors was opposite where the Santon Motel is now, it blew down one night in a storm, cars blocking the road etc!

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Davies became Automart, owned by the Quayle brothers, they relinquished Triumph to Mylchreests and took on Toyota. Hamills was in Derby Square, they ran coaches also and sold out to John Stott as Derby Garage. Santon Motors was opposite where the Santon Motel is now, it blew down one night in a storm, cars blocking the road etc!

I knew I could rely on you........My memory is shot

1 hour ago, Stitch said:

Impressive memory..........Ayre motors, I had totally forgotten.

Ayre Motors pretty much folded in 1979 when they lost the Peugeot franchise to Island Garages Ramsey.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Raymotors, EB Christian and Empire sold Ford. Mylchreests in Douglas, Castletown and Ramsey sold Austin/Morris BMC, Rover, that became British Leyland, Jaguar and LR and Rolls Royce for a while. Kirk Michael Motors sold Lada and I think, Polski Fiat (for their sins), the various Island Garages outlets had Vauxhall/Opel, Fiat, Talbot and some other oddities, Eurocars sold Citroen, Ayre Motors sold VW and Peugeot. What was the Island Garage commercials workshop in West St, Ramsey sold Saab when IG closed and the premises were sold.

Neil Jolly had the old IG indoor petrol station in west st it sold Alfa's as well as Saab, for extra geek points can you recall who opened it?

3 hours ago, mad_manx said:

No.

Many UK leasing companies are willing to accept Manx clients.

Also, plenty of the cars being leased through local leasing firms arrive off the boat on UK plates before being re registered.

Look at their FB pages and often the photos of “just taken delivery for a lucky client” posts are on UK plates.

All the vehicles I have leased have been registered in HK first.

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

No, I meant PCP, most cars in the UK have been sold through this method recently. It's like personal leasing rather than normal leasing which is only available to VAT registered companies. 

Eh. Plenty of ways for a private individual to lease a car on island now.  Loads of people are doing it

2 hours ago, Stitch said:

Kingswood is coming back to me, and the Coop....Don't remember the Triumph dealer or Hamills, or Santon Motors

Santon motors were the Citroen agents late 60s/early 70s.

8 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Eh. Plenty of ways for a private individual to lease a car on island now.  Loads of people are doing it

I know that there are, that's what I said. Conister, Blackhorse, Rex, Lombard and even the old Kingsmead back in the 90s offered leasing and PCPs. A PCP is a Personal Contract Purchase, personal leasing with an option to purchase. Business leasing means that you are able to claim back the VAT, so you must be a VAT registered company to benefit. As I said, most cars sold in the UK are subject to a PCP

Archived