Local VMCC suspend Jurby Festival

Non-Believer

Just been advised that the local Vintage Motorcycle Club who organise the Jurby Festival have decided to stand aside and suspend the Festival on the grounds of an increasingly rising burden of regulation and workload to keep things safe and within the rules.

A sad loss to the Festival of Motorcycling if it is indeed true?

ETA. Concerns over EU medical insurance implications too, quoted.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just been advised that the local Vintage Motorcycle Club who organise the Jurby Festival have decided to stand aside and suspend the Festival on the grounds of an increasingly rising burden of regulation and workload to keep things safe and within the rules.

A sad loss to the Festival of Motorcycling if it is indeed true?

ETA. Concerns over EU medical insurance implications too, quoted.

Non- Believer is correct on this, the VMMC are throughly pissed off with Starship Enterprise and IOMG as a whole with lack of support. I heard this from a reputable source. This is not a ‘on the hoof’ decision but it’s been building up over the years. Elf n Safety and rules, regulations and government diktats haven’t helped either. I’m sure next year the bikers can gather around and watch some Skellyvision instead. Still it’s the Isle of Man where you can ........

I think the case of a Spanish MGP rider injuring himself testing and finding he wasn't insured has raised the issue? I think this and the ensuing government reaction has just tipped the VMCC over the edge. The Jurby Festival has been a lynchpin of the FOM, particularly the Classic TT element. Replacing it will be very difficult, unless government have played an ace in an attempt to take it over, as they do?

I do know that there was discontent after the 2018 event over increasing regulation (Govt imposed) and that VAT was to be charged on the takings (again, Govt imposed) which was the cause of a considerable rise in gate price for this year.

Looks like Skelly's Heroes have pulled off yet another outstanding coup in the name of job, salary and ego justification.

To be fair, I don't think DfE have anything to do with VAT charging. Health and Safety stuff will come from the Health and Safety Inspectorate or the "experts" in DoI and DHA. I went to Jurby this year and paid my £10. I heard that there were 12000 people through the gates. £120,000 could pay for quite a lot of event management and H&S advice, but I wonder about the insurance. Perhaps VMCC think that the taxpayer should be funding it, whilst they continue to take the gate receipts. My verdict on the £10 entrance fee was that it was too much cash for something that bored me after about 40 minutes.

These things are incredibly challenging to run. If it’s something that has grown ntomthe she seems of Goodwood, then it is all worth the grief, but this is not a scalable event. 

The highlight for me was when post-Shoreham, the RAF Spitfire and Hurricane, flown by the cream of the crop of pilots and maintained to incredible standards, were relegated to flying up and down in a straight line a few years back. 

Never quite understood why the cops became so involved inside the wire for a while. Traffic management outside, fine, but this wasn’t a drunken festival. Probably my lack of understanding was why I stalled at Inspector.

The 10th annual Festival of Jurby once again proved very successful so thank you for the continued support from our committee, volunteers and to all who attended on the day.
Of course, an event of this scale takes a tremendous amount of organisation, which for many years has been done by a small committee getting together just weeks after the previous event took place to start gearing up for the next summer. However, after being in position since the festival was established in 2009, a number of the organising committee have made the tough decided to stand down.
As the event grows, we are seeing heavier regulation come into effect, and responsibilities grow to surpass the capability of the small team that organises the event. Keeping riders safe is our utmost concern and in the current climate we’re facing additional uncertainties with insurance for any non-Manx riders given changes to EU Medical Cards. Consequently, and pending professional advice, the committee has reluctantly, and with regret, decided to suspend the Festival until further notice.
The Vintage Motorcycle Club has always looked at ways to promote the island’s strong history with motorcycling and the tremendous machines many of our members lovingly restore and care for, and for the past decade of the Festival of Jurby has celebrated this perfectly.
Our commitment to promoting vintage motorbikes on and off island remains as strong as ever, and the committee with be continuing with the many events we organise throughout the year, including the Manx Rally, however this is a perfect time to reflect and refocussing our efforts to look at new events.
VMCC Festival of Jurby Committee

4 hours ago, WTF said:

i heard that the new jurby management had put the price up for the venue too which hasn't helped.

I put up the Conditions of use that they are now making users comply with in another thread, and you can see how they might put some potential users off.  Also, now that it is run by JMML (a limited company) rather than by Andreas Racing, which is some sort of club, I wonder how that affects things like VAT and other financial matters.  Of course the two share much of the same personnel.

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I put up the Conditions of use that they are now making users comply with in another thread, and you can see how they might put some potential users off.  Also, now that it is run by JMML (a limited company) rather than by Andreas Racing, which is some sort of club, I wonder how that affects things like VAT and other financial matters.  Of course the two share much of the same personnel.

It's my understanding that for most enthusiast type clubs the prices make it very difficult to fund use and event!

38 minutes ago, asitis said:

It's my understanding that for most enthusiast type clubs the prices make it very difficult to fund use and event!

That isn’t an unusual set of rules. In today’s world, Motorsport has to be operated to really high standards. The ‘clubman’ approach is pretty much finished. If you operate a track, you need to have assurances that who is renting it is competent.

Archived