Political Power Accumulating In Cabinet Office

Donald Trumps

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was searching for the employee headcount in the Cabinet Office (which I didn't find) when I came across this from iomtoday in 2017:

"There are more than 900 central government staff earning above £50,000.00"

Presumably these are the people running the government. It is a truly incredible number for an island of this size

11 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I was searching for the employee headcount in the Cabinet Office (which I didn't find) when I came across this from iomtoday in 2017:

"There are more than 900 central government staff earning above £50,000.00"

Presumably these are the people running the government. It is a truly incredible number for an island of this size

And they will be pretty much the lowest paid 900!

11 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Many of us will support the gradual removal of 'silo government', but it has to accompanied by greater scrutiny in Tynwald and the House of Keys.

Government cannot be permitted to appoint a majority of Tynwald or the Keys to government positions

But there hasn't been any removal of silo government at all.  All they have done is create another silo called the Cabinet Office which contains an even higher percentage of people who don't do anything useful than all the other Departments.

And in response to Lisvane's call to remove the Departmental Member system that gave automatic majorities to everything, all they did was make even more appointments.

Another government reorganisation isn't going to do anything other than cost a lot of money and create loads of new posts and promotions.

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But there hasn't been any removal of silo government at all.  All they have done is create another silo called the Cabinet Office which contains an even higher percentage of people who don't do anything useful than all the other Departments.

And in response to Lisvane's call to remove the Departmental Member system that gave automatic majorities to everything, all they did was make even more appointments.

Another government reorganisation isn't going to do anything other than cost a lot of money and create loads of new posts and promotions.

Correct.

Are the civil service driving this and, if so, how do they achieve the acquiescence of the entire political community? Or is this a genuine ambition of the likes of Quayle and Thomas with the civil service as their willing vassals rather than calling the shots? I genuinely don’t know. However, for all the slagging that senior civil servants routinely receive on these pages I’ll bet they’re a damn sight brighter and quicker on their feet than dullards such as Quayle, Cregeen and Callister. I remain very concerned however if more and more strategic government activity is vested in the Cabinet Office, as it runs the risk of Quayle actually influencing something that matters. And that wouldn’t do at all.

4 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

for all the slagging that senior civil servants routinely receive on these pages I’ll bet they’re a damn sight brighter and quicker on their feet than dullards such as Quayle, Cregeen and Callister.

You wold lose your bet.

7 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

They're just as dim as the politicians they manipulate.

Well if you concede that they manipulate politicians they must be that bit slightly less dim then.

Archived