MER: Tram, Walking, and Cycle Track

foxdaleliberationfront

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Have you ever tried? Rough terrain yes but most green lanes are too bad (massive stones) to keep momentum on. If I had tyres the size of a trail bike and suspension travel to match and....an engine then yes.

That sort of begs the question then of what sort of tracks do mountain bikers want? I've watched some MTB stuff live and on the telly and they're negotiating massive stones in lots of places, and at a considerable rate of knots at times.

It reads like you want tracks smooth and surfaced; these things do already exist, they're called roads (although some of them are a bit rough at present).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

You can bet your life that if the Raad my Foillian route was made so that bikes can use it then there'd be no problem with vegetation overgrowth!

But the Raad would surely become even more susceptible to landslips.

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Have you ever tried? Rough terrain yes but most green lanes are too bad (massive stones) to keep momentum on. If I had tyres the size of a trail bike and suspension travel to match and....an engine then yes.

And you think banning trail bikes would cause the massive stones to disappear?

19 hours ago, monasqueen said:

But the Raad would surely become even more susceptible to landslips.

Very probably but the point I was making is that anything with two or more wheels seems to get priority over Shanks's Pony when it comes to road infrastructure. We're still waiting for the DOI to turn up and resurface a pavement area near to our home that was damaged by one of their diggers some two years ago.

The TT course and now cycling lanes and the promenade have complete priority over 'normal' road maintenance. With the TT course it's always been like that but the new projects involving two wheels (on or off road) is now added to reasons as to why normal roads and pavements don't really get the maintenance that's needed. 

DOI Project after DOI project is started but regular maintenance seems to be someone else's problem to sort out with no apparent budget either.

It's an omnishambles. 

• Like 4