MER: Tram, Walking, and Cycle Track

foxdaleliberationfront

This is one of the better ideas that Bill Shimmins has put forward - singling the MER tracks and adding a walking/cycling route.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/mer-lines-to-make-way-for-walk-and-cycle-route/

Cyclists could take their bikes on the trams and then cycle part of the route, while keeping them off the main roads. The steam railway gets by just fine with just one track, so why does the MER need two? 

The railways lose an incredible amount of money so if they really must be kept then ideas like this should be explored to get more people using them, 

• Like 4

Never gonna happen. The amount of money that Govt has pumped into those trams and railways in the name of heritage tourism is unreal, seemingly regardless of the losses they make.

The last thing they'd do now, surely, is rip half of it up for cycleways? Mind, it is IoMG we're talking about here...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

This is one of the better ideas that Bill Shimmins has put forward - singling the MER tracks and adding a walking/cycling route.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/mer-lines-to-make-way-for-walk-and-cycle-route/

Cyclists could take their bikes on the trams and then cycle part of the route, while keeping them off the main roads. The steam railway gets by just fine with just one track, so why does the MER need two? 

The railways lose an incredible amount of money so if they really must be kept then ideas like this should be explored to get more people using them, 

Much as I generally can’t stand MAMILS I think this has some merit having had to follow some sweaty, fat arsed, blob of a man on a bike clogging up the traffic through Laxey this week. They should really take the needs of these these wheezing idiots into account and clear some space for them off public highways so that they can cycle to an early death without interrupting traffic flow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Please detail the route for us uninformed locals,

I'll tell you the bits where you CAN'T easily do so. A few metres past the Liverpool Arms to access Barroose Rd from Groudle Road. Packhorse Lane, Baldrine to Church Rd, Lonan. Final section from the Maughold road junction across boundary into Ramsey. Done it numerous times over the years. This MER path idea is just a gimmick. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I think Mr Shimmins has issued a Twitter statement lamenting - or stating anyway - that significant investment in the MER just isn't worth what it would cost given there are unlikely to be millions of people using it

He's got his finger on the pulse hasn't he?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I think Mr Shimmins has issued a Twitter statement lamenting - or stating anyway - that significant investment in the MER just isn't worth what it would cost given there are unlikely to be millions of people using it

He must have been looking the other way as they were spending the money.