MER: Tram, Walking, and Cycle Track

foxdaleliberationfront

2 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

It will apparently cost hundreds of millions of ££££s to run a fast electric tram service from Ramsey to the sea terminal

Those government accountants must have graduated straight out of gardening class

34 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I think Mr Shimmins has issued a Twitter statement lamenting - or stating anyway - that significant investment in the MER just isn't worth what it would cost given there are unlikely to be millions of people using it

He'll be off Skelly and the DfE's Xmas card list then :lol:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I think Mr Shimmins has issued a Twitter statement lamenting - or stating anyway - that significant investment in the MER just isn't worth what it would cost given there are unlikely to be millions of people using it

There must be a decent scrap value in the track and wires? Even if it's just half of the MER, it should at least be cost neutral to rip out one of the tracks. 

The cycle/footpath need not cost a great deal. They seem to be doing a decent job on the old Peel rail path - something akin to that would do. 

11 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

There must be a decent scrap value in the track and wires? Even if it's just half of the MER, it should at least be cost neutral to rip out one of the tracks. 

The cycle/footpath need not cost a great deal. They seem to be doing a decent job on the old Peel rail path - something akin to that would do. 

Why? Just duplicating other minor roads. There is no point. 

11 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Creating a footpath/cyclepath that is actually attractive and appealing. 

The roads are appealing enough thanks. Just get the motorist to have a bit of respect (and vice versa)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Creating a footpath/cyclepath that is actually attractive and appealing. 

So the lightly used minor roads running north to south through Maughold and Lonan are unappealing? No. They are not. They are wonderfully scenic. Why duplicate them?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MrPB said:

He’s out on his bike quite a bit so I would be surprised. Like I was with Harmer a few weeks ago I’m always tempted to see if I can give them a bit of a clip when I see them cycling about ;)

Prat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

If you avoid the main coast road that's pretty much what you already have. Lots of choice of routes too. 

True, there are some "lightly used" roads between the MER stations in Douglas and Ramsey.

You can easily turn a 12.6 mile hilly ride into a 19.9 mile super-hilly* ride by taking the "scenic" route! 

You don't cycle much, do you?

* 2,100 feet of climbing vs 1,053 feet (source:google maps)

I actually think it's a good idea. I doubt that hardcore racers/riders will use it (too narrow for their speed). But as a way to encourage cycling as a form of transport and generally improve the nations health, it's an excellent idea. Fewer cars on the road, better health...all good.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

You can easily turn a 12.6 mile hilly ride into a 19.9 mile super-hilly* ride by taking the "scenic" route! 

You don't cycle much, do you?

* 2,100 feet of climbing vs 1,053 feet

I do a fair bit. Not as much as I used to, but I've covered many of the roads we are discussing and they are not overtaxing by bike. Meaningless really to throw out climb statistics when every up is matched by a down. Some of the best cycling is gathering downward momentum to tackle the next rise. As for the distance, we are talking about a leisure route, and besides, the tramway through Maughold parish is far more circuitous than the minor roads via Dreemskerry.