MER: Tram, Walking, and Cycle Track

foxdaleliberationfront

14 minutes ago, pongo said:

Lots of things are unique without being particularly special. The tourist trams being an obvious example.

But the route is amazing and special. World class. It's got the potential to be reborn as a fantastic cycling destination and also an excellent facility for locals. And make no mistake - there is much more local interest in cycling than there is in trams. Cycling attracts a younger crowd with money. And will cost government a lot less too.

You are very sadly mistaken. The cycling set are in a very small minority and despite what people would be led to believe are dwindling in numbers. Nobody will EVER cowtow to your group and provide tracks dedicated to the old fashioned cyclist. How more retro can get than riding a pushbike. It is a hobby of yours, not a way of life. Get real.

Maybe, on the same level, we should go back to rowing boats instead of internal  combustible engined ones or horses and traps. It is a hobby and just that

Edited by dilligaf
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You are very sadly mistaken. The cycling set are in a very small minority and despite what people would be led to believe are dwindling in numbers. Nobody will EVER cowtow to your group and provide tracks dedicated to the old fashioned cyclist. How more retro can get than riding a pushbike. It is a hobby of yours, not a way of life. Get real.

Maybe, on the same level, we should go back to rowing boats instead of internal  combustible engined ones or horses and traps. It is a hobby and just that

People will still be riding horses long after the infernal combustion engine is banned 

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Very easy to assert and downplay the crisis from the comfort and safety of the Isle of Man. You have to take into account the relatively small population compared with other states.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/11/cyprus-the-new-entry-point-to-europe-for-refugees-and-migrants

The island has exceeded every other EU member state in asylum claims in 2018, recording the highest number per capita with almost 6,000 applications for a population of about 1 million.

I know frightened people who live full time in coastal areas there that have suffered the disruption of regular arrivals by sea of desperate and, in many cases, aggressive people. The initial influx at Merkel's behest showed the way and others have followed. They then became frustrated as countries further north closed the gates.

https://www.dw.com/en/refugee-crisis-in-cyprus-close-to-tipping-point/a-50352565

I actually linked to the same Deutsche Welle article you reference in my post, because it showed that there was little immediate effect on Cyprus of Merkel's speech back in 2015[1].  The more recent crisis the Island has will have other, more longstanding, reasons.  I was merely pointing out that keeping on ignoring the underlying reasons for the refugee crises (and most refugees aren't coming to Europe, they are displaced in their own countries or into adjoining ones) and instead blaming a speech made four years ago is a bit silly.  If Cyprus is getting a big rise in migrants arriving (especially by sea) then we need to look at specific reasons why that is happening, which didn't apply then - I don't think saying "countries further north closed the gates" can explain it, because the situation there hasn't really changed for about three years.

[1]  Of course there was some self-interest it that anyway as Germany's demographic imbalances require quite a lot of immigration - especially skilled.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I actually linked to the same Deutsche Welle article you reference in my post, because it showed that there was little immediate effect on Cyprus of Merkel's speech back in 2015[1].  The more recent crisis the Island has will have other, more longstanding, reasons.  I was merely pointing out that keeping on ignoring the underlying reasons for the refugee crises (and most refugees aren't coming to Europe, they are displaced in their own countries or into adjoining ones) and instead blaming a speech made four years ago is a bit silly.  If Cyprus is getting a big rise in migrants arriving (especially by sea) then we need to look at specific reasons why that is happening, which didn't apply then - I don't think saying "countries further north closed the gates" can explain it, because the situation there hasn't really changed for about three years.

[1]  Of course there was some self-interest it that anyway as Germany's demographic imbalances require quite a lot of immigration - especially skilled.

It wasn't just a speech. It was opening the doors to all and sundry and in no way balanced to the skill needs of the economy. The first duty of a government is to safeguard the interests of its own people, not to be the bleeding heart for other parts of the world. Germans have reaped the whirlwind from her folly and will continue to do so.

48 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You need to sack your researchers...

33 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The cycling set are in a very small minority and despite what people would be led to believe are dwindling in numbers. Nobody will EVER cowtow to your group and provide tracks dedicated to the old fashioned cyclist. 

Correct Dilli - not anti cycling however they are certainly self entitled and demanding regarding their facility demands.

They have missed the opportunity to lobby for Govt investment when the graph was on the up 10 years ago - Cavendish was World Champ as far back as 2005 - Kennaugh Olympic Gold in 2012 - and in the almost 8 years since no Global successes and both pretty much finished in racing, there has been a few notable National and age group achievements but if your not a cyclist you would struggle to name another IOM rider.

The E2E has halved in numbers lost its TV coverage and is won by a bloke in his 40's, the Ramsey based one is locally focussed and not an annual event.

Show some humility and say thank you for any cycle facilities and not moan that it's the wrong kind of surface for the super fast Lycra boys - families and kids can use it to.

Another boat well and truly missed by almost a decade - so expect a huge Govt Investment......

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

You need to sack your researchers...

Sorry Neil, but it is still just a hobby by the minority. I am sure you love it and so does a brother of mine, bu5 it ain’t no future.

my researchers are zero hours anyway, so easy come easy go eh ?

Edited by dilligaf

1 minute ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Correct Dilli - not anti cycling however they are certainly self entitled and demanding regarding their facility demands.

They have missed the opportunity to lobby for Govt investment when the graph was on the up 10 years ago - Cavendish was World Champ as far back as 2005 - Kennaugh Olympic Gold in 2012 - and in the almost 8 years since no Global successes and both pretty much finished in racing, there has been a few notable National and age group achievements but if your not a cyclist you would struggle to name another IOM rider.

The E2E has halved in numbers lost its TV coverage and is won by a bloke in his 40's, the Ramsey based one is locally focussed and not an annual event.

Show some humility and say thank you for any cycle facilities and not moan that it's the wrong kind of surface for the super fast Lycra boys - families and kids can use it to.

Another boat well and truly missed by almost a decade - so expect a huge Govt Investment......

Hate to burst your bubble but I don't think you would find a cyclist who would agree with many of the plans for cycle paths around the Island. Ones I know are happy to use the current road network. All they/we ask is that motorists show a bit of respect. To be fair the majority of them now do so. Like the minority cyclists, there are a few idiots about

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Sorry Neil, but it is still just a hobby by the minority. I am sure you love it and so does a brother of mine, bu5 it ain’t no future.

my researchers are zero hours anyway, so easy come easy go eh ?

You should go and check with the three cycle outlets over here. Their sales figures would indicate the opposite of what you say

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

You should go and check with the three cycle outlets over here. Their sales figures would indicate the opposite of what you say

I am not arguing, just saying that cycling is still just a hobby. It can never be the norm for transport. I would love to have the ability to ride a pushbike over long distances k but 5hat is not going to happen. It is only ever a hobby or sport, not the way forward .

I suppose the thing is - you wouldn't want to tarmac over one of the MER lines, only to then want it back at some point. So, we need to ask if there's any chance we might need it for, say, a modern tram. Is the route suitable for faster trams? If there was a service from Ramsey with a modern tram, how long would it take compared to driving? If it takes 25 minutes in the car, and an hour and a half on the tram, then there'll be no customers. If it really doesn't look like there's much scope for a 'real' tram ever, then a walking/cycle route would be an excellent facility. Brilliant views, safe from traffic, no steep hills. Perfect. Keep a vintage tram line, AND have a great walking/cycle route. Win-Win. So probably won't happen.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I am not arguing, just saying that cycling is still just a hobby. It can never be the norm for transport. I would love to have the ability to ride a pushbike over long distances k but 5hat is not going to happen. It is only ever a hobby or sport, not the way forward .

I would have agreed with you, having commuted by bicycle from Ramsey to Douglas and then Peel to Douglas you have to be an enthusiast. However, e- bikes are a game changer in transport and are selling like hot cakes to non cyclists

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1