MER: Tram, Walking, and Cycle Track

foxdaleliberationfront

4 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I would have agreed with you, having commuted by bicycle from Ramsey to Douglas and then Peel to Douglas you have to be an enthusiast. However, e- bikes are a game changer in transport and are selling like hot cakes to non cyclists

Why would a non cyclist buy an e bike. ? I am a non cyclist and would not buy a bike if my life depended on it.

11 minutes ago, flaps said:

I suppose the thing is - you wouldn't want to tarmac over one of the MER lines, only to then want it back at some point. So, we need to ask if there's any chance we might need it for, say, a modern tram. Is the route suitable for faster trams? If there was a service from Ramsey with a modern tram, how long would it take compared to driving? If it takes 25 minutes in the car, and an hour and a half on the tram, then there'll be no customers. If it really doesn't look like there's much scope for a 'real' tram ever, then a walking/cycle route would be an excellent facility. Brilliant views, safe from traffic, no steep hills. Perfect. Keep a vintage tram line, AND have a great walking/cycle route. Win-Win. So probably won't happen.

One set of lines could be in filled in flush with the tops of the rails:ph34r:

Edited by finlo
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, flaps said:

I suppose the thing is - you wouldn't want to tarmac over one of the MER lines, only to then want it back at some point. So, we need to ask if there's any chance we might need it for, say, a modern tram. Is the route suitable for faster trams? If there was a service from Ramsey with a modern tram, how long would it take compared to driving? If it takes 25 minutes in the car, and an hour and a half on the tram, then there'll be no customers. If it really doesn't look like there's much scope for a 'real' tram ever, then a walking/cycle route would be an excellent facility. Brilliant views, safe from traffic, no steep hills. Perfect. Keep a vintage tram line, AND have a great walking/cycle route. Win-Win. So probably won't happen.

You taking the piss flaps ?

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Why would a non cyclist buy an e bike. ? I am a non cyclist and would not buy a bike if my life depended on it.

You don’t know what you are missing dilli. I bought Mrs D one at the beginning of the year to help her out on the hills. I have since sold my MTB and bought an bike.

14 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Easy to ride over difficult terrain and available under the cycle to work scheme. The bike shops sell loads to people who don't ride bikes as a norm

I have a lovely car that I sit in and enjoy. I can choose my speed and play whatever music I want, full blast, I can carry my whole family or load it up with loads of plastic wrapped shopping if I choose. I don’t need to worry about bad weather, big hills or other  vehicles passing me too close for the snowflakes rules. I had a cycle untill I was 16 then got my first motorbike. I have been a petrolhead ever since, so why in the name of Jebus would I want to take such a retrograde step as to buy a pushbike again ?

edit to add that I. Any start adding Castrol R just for effect, cause I love it

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Maybe check with your researches Neil - I bought my last droppy from Jayne Whites and final BMX from Pedal Power but still know there are more than 3 cycle outlets

Name them

21 minutes ago, flaps said:

There's zero chance of a modern tram service - one like they have in Birmingham or Croydon. the route is too twisty and too many little road crossings. 

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I have a lovely car that I sit in and enjoy. I can choose my speed and play whatever music I want, full blast, I can carry my whole family or load it up with loads of plastic wrapped shopping if I choose. I don’t need to worry about bad weather, big hills or other  vehicles passing me too close for the snowflakes rules. I had a cycle untill I was 16 then got my first motorbike. I have been a petrolhead ever since, so why in the name of Jebus would I want to take such a retrograde step as to buy a pushbike again ?

So you’re an eco warrior in reverse then...

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

So you’re an eco warrior in reverse then...

No. Just know what I like. Fast cars, freedom to flourish etc and realising that cycling is part of our history, not part of our future.

Edited by dilligaf

6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You wouldn't, or more correctly might not. However, the petrol isn't going to last forever so for younger people it may not be an option