Liverpool FC..Has any team been so lucky ever.

SJR

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

"Cold Feet".  Seriously?  The "best" goalkeeper in the world cannot pass a ball or at least kick it long because he has cold feet?! 

Liverpool the gift that keeps on giving! :lol:

Nothing to say on your team's performance then...

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Nothing to say on your team's performance then...

I thought this thread was about Liverpool?  

United were disappointing in the second half and I don't think we will challenge City for the league title.  United are, however, only 5 points (potentially 8) away from City.  Liverpool are another 5 points further back so whilst nothing is decided yet they still have a remote chance of challenging City.  

Liverpool need to watch out for Everton & Aston Villa who both have games in hand and will have to produce something against Leicester so that they are not cast further adrift from the top of the league.  The weather isn't looking too good for the weekend so Klopp better make sure that poor Allison wears some thick socks.... 

This is not a crisis. Hillsborough was a crisis. Relegation is crisis. Your team going bankrupt is a crisis. We've not finished lower than 8th since we were promoted in 1962. Relax. We're 4th in the league. Still in Europe. Most teams would love just one season like that - and we've had so much to celebrate these last few years, lets not look churlish when things aren't going our way.

Liverpool are still a good team. A team of champions. There's a few factors behind the drop in form. Klopp will address them.

Injuries are one factor, particularly since they affect one part of the team. To lose one CL and PL winning centre-back is troublesome, to lose 3 (4 if you include Loveren) more so. The main issue is that fixing this problem creates others. If you go with the kids that means the full backs need to be more cautious and that is a major supply route for the strikers.

If you play Fabinho and Henderson there you lose their influence in midfield. Henderson in particular dictates the pace of the attack, switches play a lot, covers for the full-backs. The players coming into cover in midfield don't have his energy or experience. I doubt they expected Saquiri, Milner or Jones to have as much game time as they have had this season.

Events have shown we needed to replace Loveren in the Summer, but Liverpool aren't funded by an oligarch or a Middle Eastern state and need to earn the money they spend (like most clubs) and there's been a drop income due to the pandemic. In retrospect this has turned out to be the wrong place to economise.

There's been a drop in the intensity in Liverpool's play. I don't think the absence of fans has helped - often you see them draw heart as YNWA is sung in the closing minutes and you'd feel an equaliser is inevitable. But mainly, I think this was to be expected. Last two seasons they've picked up 97 and 99 points - that's a relentless pressure of needing to win virtually every game.

On top of that teams have figured out how to get a result against Liverpool. Burnley showed the way at the end of last season - conceded early, kept it tight for the rest of the game and capitalised on a moments lack of concentration game ended 1-1. They repeated the trick but Liverpool didn't score this season and the home unbeaten run ended.

It was going to need refreshing, so Jota and Thiago were signed. Mixing up the attack seemed to have an effect until Jota got injured. Also playing Henderson and Fabinho at the back that the midfielders we'd want coming on to change the game - Saqquiri, Jones - were starting and there was no one to bring on to shake it up. 

I think Klopp is also fatigued and made mistakes. He's a pretty emotional guy and has been through three intense seasons. Plus his Mum died two days before the Burnley game in January. He should have moved Henderson back into midfield earlier, even if it means a few goals conceded by inexperienced defenders I think the extra threat up front would counteract that. The January transfer window purchases needed to be completed earlier to facilitate that.

So bad luck and mistakes have created a bad run of form. But luck changes and Klopp and the team have shown the ability to learn to grow and put things right. We've not gone back 4 years. Four years ago we didn't have the experience of winning the league, we hadn't played in two Champions League finals. The aura of that kind of success remains around the club (look at how Leicester continue to be a difficult team long after their Prem win) and the players retain that experience.

We'll turn the corner, probably today, if not soon. I reckon we'll finish second or third and there's still the chance of a European run. Trust in Klopp.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Declan said:

We'll turn the corner, probably today, if not soon. I reckon we'll finish second or third and there's still the chance of a European run. Trust in Klopp.

That didn't age well..

Kopp and the recruitment team at Liverpool should have done better in the summer. 

Fergusons strength was not just building great teams but also refreshing them and even tearing them apart to build a new team.

Klopp just doesn't seem able to do that (take a look at his pre Liverpool record too)