Conversational Spanish

John Wright

I’m looking for someone to teach me conversational Spanish. 

Probably looking 2 hours a week during February/March. 

I get along ok. But my pidgin is a mix of Spanish and Catalan and gets strange looks, sometimes. Especially out of region.

I’ve  school boy latin, conversational French and some basic Italian. Vocabulary not the issue ( Catalan import words apart), it’s more stringing it into coherent sentences.

I went to evening classes, years ago, but the pace was that of the slowest learner and, stupidly, I gave up. The teacher was a Mrs Synott(?). She was good.

Anyone know her? Contact details by PM. Or any other recommendations.

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

When I first went to Barcelona I was amazed how many conversations I could have using words I learned from CSE French and from Spaghetti Westerns. 

I get along fairly well. But I want to improve. I want to be able to do my tax return on line, register for disabled access to the Barcelona LEZ, stuff like that.

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’m looking for someone to teach me conversational Spanish. 

Probably looking 2 hours a week during February/March. 

I get along ok. But my pidgin is a mix of Spanish and Catalan and gets strange looks, sometimes. Especially out of region.

I’ve  school boy latin, conversational French and some basic Italian. Vocabulary not the issue ( Catalan import words apart), it’s more stringing it into coherent sentences.

I went to evening classes, years ago, but the pace was that of the slowest learner and, stupidly, I gave up. The teacher was a Mrs Synott(?). She was good.

Anyone know her? Contact details by PM. Or any other recommendations.

That would be Carol Synott. She’s a family friend who we see from time to time. I’ll ask her to contact you 

37 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

That would be Carol Synott. She’s a family friend who we see from time to time. I’ll ask her to contact you 

Thanks Neil. I’m in Spain until 24/1. Getting desperate. Wanted butter today. Forgot the word ( mantequilla/mantega) and tried to deduce from Italian and French. Got a donkey.

A friend of mine went into a Spanish grocery store to buy some rice, so of course asked for ’erizo’. He got some bloody funny looks. The Spanish for rice is ‘arroz’. Erizo is hedgehog.

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

Thanks Neil. I’m in Spain until 24/1. Getting desperate. Wanted butter today. Forgot the word ( mantequilla/mantega) and tried to deduce from Italian and French. Got a donkey.

Straight out of Fawlty Towers that one John :thumbsup:

John. If you have a smartphone you can download google translate app.

You can download the data files for any language you want and it can translate on the fly.

(You can use it without downloading the data files but then you will need a very good data signal)

This can be as a audio conversation  ( two way)

You can type text in .

And best of all in camera mode it can translate text. Very helpful with almost any language .

I can just put my phone over food etc labelled in foreign text and the English translation appears superimposed  on top of those 

I use it extensively while I travel ..

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have translation software/apps. But it’s not very practical in many situations 

I can read menus and food labels in Italian, French, Catalan, Spanish, as well as English. Even a lot of Cyrillic, nowadays, - although I’d not be able to pronounce it, or recognise it when spoken to me.

Im aware of CD’s, on line courses, etc.

For me I know what works best, and that’s what I asked about, one on one personal tuition, face to face.

Archived