He Was Spartacus.

quilp

Whether it was in Spartacus, or Vikings or Path to Glory or Indian Fighter my main memory of his acting is of barely suppressed passion.

Some great films.  Looking forward to the retrospective - my kid's knowledge of Spartacus is via Outnumbered which doesn't quite do it justice!

'Paths of Glory,' great film. Kubrick's classic tight close-ups and dramatic pause. KD was the perfect choice.

'Seven Days in May' is another.

Didn't know he'd played the lead role in the stage version of 'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest,' eventually buying the rights to it and then gifted it to his son who subsequently produced the film version blockbuster.

Yeah, looking forward to the retrospective... 

Him and Burt Lancaster made some great films between them and were both fine screen actors. They did everything that the next generation of Pacino's and DeNiro's would do years later. I never saw either in the theatre but I'm sure they would be equally good on stage or screen. Kirk could occasionally chew the scenery but he had fantastic energy and power as an actor. His son Michael wasn't too shabby either but nowhere near as good as his dad. Truly the last of the 50s greats. RIP Mr Douglas.

Archived