More tourists needed

b4mbi

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The Island might well steal a march on some sort of sustainable tourism, or it might find itself increasingly more isolated.

Or it may go the other way, put two fingers up to the fantasists and become a haven for the petrol engine? (Fat chance unfortunately, with our political sheep shaggers)

• Like 1

I haven't been to the Isle of Man since 2009. But I'd go back, not expecting to see things as I last saw them. It would help the island's tourist industry if certain people in authority wouldn't demolish historic buildings. I recently read that HMP Douglas had been demolished. I think that there was a lot of tourist potential locked up in it (pun intended) and it wouldn't have competed with the other Manx prison in Castle Rushen. Douglas prison could've alternatively been used as a conference centre or a gallery, for example.

4 minutes ago, Langweilig said:

I haven't been to the Isle of Man since 2009. But I'd go back, not expecting to see things as I last saw them. It would help the island's tourist industry if certain people in authority wouldn't demolish historic buildings. I recently read that HMP Douglas had been demolished. I think that there was a lot of tourist potential locked up in it (pun intended) and it wouldn't have competed with the other Manx prison in Castle Rushen. Douglas prison could've alternatively been used as a conference centre or a gallery, for example.

Nah, we prefer demolition sites it's our USP!

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Or it may go the other way, put two fingers up to the fantasists and become a haven for the petrol engine? (Fat chance unfortunately, with our political sheep shaggers)

There's an article in this weekend's Indy, a couple of pages in, with a large photograph of Bill Dale (Beach Buddies) flanked by two much prettier young ladies who are described as "Environmental Project Managers/Assistants" all to do with Biosphere doings, naturally. Presumably they are on the Govt payroll as part of DEFA's little army too.

You can be certain that Petrol Engines will not be part of their nor their Dept's vernacular anyway.

• Haha 1

I don’t know if anyone has watched the Super League Triathlon, the ladies and men’s race coming from Jersey. Very slick, well attended and showing the centre of St Helier off. Top notch competitors like the Brownlee Brothers and foreign competitors. The Olympic Gold Medalist also taking part. 

Jersey can attract decent sporting competition whilst the Isle of Man is struggling to attract even the bottom and lowest sporting events. This race was on BT Sports and no doubt would be broadcast worldwide. 

What happened to the Pool Tournament which was over in 2019 at the Palace Hotel and broadcast on FreeSports? Whilst I appreciate there was an intervening pandemic, I thought there may be a return this year considering we are supposed to be welcoming tourists/visitors? Or is that only our friends in the Channel Islands?

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know if anyone has watched the Super League Triathlon, the ladies and men’s race coming from Jersey. Very slick, well attended and showing the centre of St Helier off. Top notch competitors like the Brownlee Brothers and foreign competitors. The Olympic Gold Medalist also taking part. 

Jersey can attract decent sporting competition whilst the Isle of Man is struggling to attract even the bottom and lowest sporting events. This race was on BT Sports and no doubt would be broadcast worldwide. 

What happened to the Pool Tournament which was over in 2019 at the Palace Hotel and broadcast on FreeSports? Whilst I appreciate there was an intervening pandemic, I thought there may be a return this year considering we are supposed to be welcoming tourists/visitors? Or is that only our friends in the Channel Islands?

A pool tournament is about our level.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

because all sports are private fiefdoms run by the various clubs who invariably hate all the other clubs in the same sport and won't co-operate with each other.

Then add in the same kingdoms in the various government departments and you have the perfect set of nightmares that will stop anything getting done.

• Like 2