Grey Wagtail

manxman34

In Onchan today I saw a bird like a pied wagtail, but bright yellow underneath. Looking on the internet I think it was a grey wagtail, on the red list as endangered. Any expert say if we have them here, or have I most likely mistaken something else? No time to get a picture, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

In Onchan today I saw a bird like a pied wagtail, but bright yellow underneath. Looking on the internet I think it was a grey wagtail, on the red list as endangered. Any expert say if we have them here, or have I most likely mistaken something else? No time to get a picture, unfortunately.

If by the coast then a grey, if inland then yellow. Most probably a grey if in Onchan, not as rare as you may think.

1 hour ago, manxman34 said:

They are here; I’ve seen grey wagtails at, for example, Scarlett and Port Grenagh and a yellow wagtail when walking a footpath in the Grenaby/Ballabeg area.

5 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

If by the coast then a grey, if inland then yellow. Most probably a grey if in Onchan, not as rare as you may think.

Most things in Onchan are grey...it would only be the yellow bit that stood out...

Yes, prob a Grey, if you see it in flight, then a vivid flash of yellow would make you wonder which?

'less someones Budgy escaped?

No matter what the rarity, still a wonderfully  different sight up and down the East coast!

9 minutes ago, display name said:

Can I try those binoculars you use?

:)

We have them down here in the Helford passage, not a very shy bird. If you really want binoculars, go for these.

31RbdOz67YL._AC_.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Yes, prob a Grey, if you see it in flight, then a vivid flash of yellow would make you wonder which?

'less someones Budgy escaped?

No matter what the rarity, still a wonderfully  different sight up and down the East coast!

That's it - the grey is a coastal bird, the yellow lives inland in the fields.

Edited by GD4ELI

Just now, Kopek said:

I got the monocular, I'm saving up for the other half!!!

I don't have these but borrow a pair from time to time, absolutely amazing, especially as the light is fading which is a great test of optics.

• Like 1

I have a pair of £10 pocket size, 5x,  from the gadget shop. Not brilliant but better than my eyesight!

( I used a silver marker to write 'ROLLEI' on them, improved them 10 fold! ).

Edited by Kopek

Just now, Kopek said:

I have a pair of £10 pocket size, 5x,  from the gadget shop. Not brilliant but better than my eyesight!

( I used a silver marker to write 'ROLLEI' on them, improved them 10 fold! ).

There are great bins in the £100 range, I need to buy some to keep in my rucksack. I'm waiting for the Canon 7D Mk III before I buy anything new.