IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Having looked at the abstract of the research described it doesn't quite say what you think it does. It merely says that if the central nervous system is affected it may not be the actual neurones that are affected. However it does not exclude the other cell types in the brain which provide the environment and circulation necessary for normal function. Given the documented evidence of circulatory damage in small vessels elsewhere its still entirely possible that those effects could affect brain function. Also this is just one paper. We can't put too much emphasis on one smallish paper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

No, but they are more likely to die from things that wouldn’t be an issue for most of the rest of us.

We can’t all change our lives to protect every individual, no matter how lovely that would be.

But that's exactly what we do all the time -we alter what we do. We keep to the speed limits, we cordon off dangerous buildings in case the fall on us. 

Just now, momo65 said:

Having looked at the abstract of the research described it doesn't quite say what you think it does. It merely says that if the central nervous system is affected it may not be the actual neurones that are affected. However it does not exclude the other cell types in the brain which provide the environment and circulation necessary for normal function. Given the documented evidence of circulatory damage in small vessels elsewhere its still entirely possible that those effects could affect brain function. Also this is just one paper. We can't put too much emphasis on one smallish paper

Tbf I wouldn't be that surprised if there was some kind of very rare virus induced effects in the brain. Because I think this is 'just another virus' and that all of our problems with it are from a total lack of generations of immunity I was reading up on others to try and confirm my view, and I found a bunch of papers from 10+ years ago about one of the other coronaviruses probably does do that. I can't totally remember all the details, it was a while ago, there were a couple of specific degenerative conditions named. Only probably though, didn't even say likely. But we all know viruses can mess people up in pretty weird ways that aren't totally understood.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Tbf I wouldn't be that surprised if there was some kind of very rare virus induced effects in the brain. Because I think this is 'just another virus' and that all of our problems with it are from a total lack of generations of immunity I was reading up on others to try and confirm my view, and I found a bunch of papers from 10+ years ago about one of the other coronaviruses probably does do that. I can't totally remember all the details, it was a while ago, there were a couple of specific degenerative conditions named. Only probably though, didn't even say likely. But we all know viruses can mess people up in pretty weird ways that aren't totally understood.

Interesting - not what you found but your approach. You didn't read all the papers available and then came to a view. You had a view and looked for papers to confirm it. Not surprisingly you found them. Confirmation bias is inherent in your approach. 

I'm not arguing with your conclusions they may or may not be proven correct in the long term but not by this approach 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, momo65 said:

But that's exactly what we do all the time -we alter what we do. We keep to the speed limits, we cordon off dangerous buildings in case the fall on us. 

Some people are allergic to shellfish. Have we banned all sale of shellfish?

It would be lovely to all protect every single person on earth, but it isn’t practical.

Are you as concerned when 60 people die of starvation or malaria?

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

A classic case of never believe the headline.  The article itself is quite good, but the paper at best only deals with one particular form of effect on the brain relating to one particular symptom (loss of smell).

To the various caveats in the article that various scientists put forward, I'd add another one.  The work is based entirely on post-mortem analysis and by definition if someone has died from a disease they can't be damaged by long-term  effects.  What with them not having a long-term.  So even the limited lack of effect that the the researchers found may be misleading.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, momo65 said:

Interesting - not what you found but your approach. You didn't read all the papers available and then came to a view. You had a view and looked for papers to confirm it. Not surprisingly you found them. Confirmation bias is inherent in your approach. 

I'm not arguing with your conclusions they may or may not be proven correct in the long term but not by this approach 

Yup. I totally did go looking, guilty absolutely. Partly because at the time it didn't seem to be that much of a common view, not in the press anyway, not many people seemed to be talking about it so I kind of had to go looking. That doesn't mean I ignore things that don't fit though. I've read tons of stuff about all sorts of things entirely by accident at times, it's been fascinating. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Some people are allergic to shellfish. Have we banned all sale of shellfish?

It would be lovely to all protect every single person on earth, but it isn’t practical.

Are you as concerned when 60 people die of starvation or malaria?

No weve not banned shellfish but we have introduced laws to reduce their risks by putting labels on foods listing possible allergens ie mitigations 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yup. I totally did go looking, guilty absolutely. Partly because at the time it didn't seem to be that much of a common view, not in the press anyway, not many people seemed to be talking about it so I kind of had to go looking. That doesn't mean I ignore things that don't fit though. I've read tons of stuff about all sorts of things entirely by accident at times, it's been fascinating. 

One of the important things that all the research into Covid is doing is stimulating investigation into some of your other "usual common" viruses which may yet show that they aren't as benign as we've assumed. Recent cellular work showing that Covid had similar effects to ageing on the length of telomeres, which are currently 9ne of the leading possible causes of ageing, is leading other workers to consider whether ageing or at least its damaging effects may be the result of viral infections which would be a major finding if it were the case

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, momo65 said:

One of the important things that all the research into Covid is doing is stimulating investigation into some of your other "usual common" viruses which may yet show that they aren't as benign as we've assumed. Recent cellular work showing that Covid had similar effects to ageing on the length of telomeres, which are currently 9ne of the leading possible causes of ageing, is leading other workers to consider whether ageing or at least its damaging effects may be the result of viral infections which would be a major finding if it were the case

I think many of them aren't all that benign at all, and that if we didn't all regularly get re-infected with them we'd probably have serious issues when we did.

Edited by TheTeapot