IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

29 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Most of Europe now has high vaccination rates. This reads just like another Cassandra-like apocalyptical warning from WHO that is obsessed with lockdowns, distancing and mask wearing when the real issue is vaccination rates. 

Did you read the article? 

The WHO's Europe chief expressed "grave concern" over the rising pace of coronavirus infections in Europe, warning that according to "one reliable projection" the current trajectory would mean "another half a million Covid-19 deaths" by February.

"We are, once again, at the epicentre," Hans Kluge told a news conference.

The WHO blamed a combination of insufficient vaccination rates and a relaxation of preventative measures like mask-wearing and physical distancing.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I think many of them aren't all that benign at all, and that if we didn't all regularly get re-infected with them we'd probably have serious issues when we did.

From what we are seeing from Covid research and assuming it's not in a class of its own for severity I suspect we may see we have serious trouble because we are reinfected repeatedly. We know several viruses cause malignancies. Possibly many more do that we haven't yet worked out. Your assumption that the immune system will in time save us may turn out to be correct or horribly wrong as immunodysfunction is increasingly becoming more prominent among disease origins along with genetic susceptibility 

41 minutes ago, Zarley said:

The WHO's Europe chief expressed "grave concern" over the rising pace of coronavirus infections in Europe, warning that according to "one reliable projection" the current trajectory would mean "another half a million Covid-19 deaths" by February.

The WHO blamed a combination of insufficient vaccination rates and a relaxation of preventative measures like mask-wearing and physical distancing.

Based on “one reliable projection”

Have you looked back at any of the “reliable projections” from 6, 12 or 18 months ago?

How did those pan out?

24 minutes ago, momo65 said:

From what we are seeing from Covid research and assuming it's not in a class of its own for severity I suspect we may see we have serious trouble because we are reinfected repeatedly. We know several viruses cause malignancies. Possibly many more do that we haven't yet worked out. Your assumption that the immune system will in time save us may turn out to be correct or horribly wrong as immunodysfunction is increasingly becoming more prominent among disease origins along with genetic susceptibility 

Are you saying that the theory and current accepted policy of allowing regular re-infection with what we perceive as common cold viruses to provide immunity from more severe outcomes in later life is the wrong one? Is there a practical alternative?

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

This is interesting, looking at where the infections are happening in the population. I obviously immediately have a theory, but do you?

Several actually, but all based on the fact that these are cases, and so prone to availability of testing and willingness to do so.  I suspect the rise generally is driven by the return to school and those in working class areas/jobs being less able to take time of to look after kids being less willing to discover if they have mild oe asymptomatic cases.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Several actually, but all based on the fact that these are cases, and so prone to availability of testing and willingness to do so.  I suspect the rise generally is driven by the return to school and those in working class areas/jobs being less able to take time of to look after kids being less willing to discover if they have mild oe asymptomatic cases.

Well its a theory and there will be something in it, probably enough to cause a bias but not enough to explain the trend. 

Would you like to hear mine?

12 hours ago, quilp said:

Fuck me, a kaleidoscope of moral equivalency. 

All joking aside, Ramsey Boi makes a reasonable point …

Nearly 10,000,000 people a year die of starvation on this planet.

Where is the moral outrage, the financial measures or rush to end it all?

There isn’t any of any note because it doesn’t affect us.

The world is a selfish hypocrite.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Well its a theory and there will be something in it, probably enough to cause a bias but not enough to explain the trend. 

Would you like to hear mine?

No, not if you're going to be a cocktease and make me ask for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry, I've had an entertaining morning and am in something of a frivolous mood.

It's cos these people are the zoomers, the comfortable well off most able to work from home, least affected by the lockdowns, living in spacious homes with gardens and able to get everything delivered. Its the group that is least likely to have had contact with the virus. So they're the most susceptible to infection left.

That's my theory anyway. I did just make it up on the hoof at seeing that twitter thread though, so it isn't exactly evidence based and could therefore be completely wrong.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

Didn't the WHO want all the vaccines to be given away to the third world by now? Now they are moaning that people aren't getting vaccinated/boosters? 

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Strong warnings from Europe...

https://f24.my/880O

The possiblity of 500,000 more covid deaths by February. 

A few short weeks ago many of those vocal alarmists were screeching 'look at Europe, look at Germany, look at France, their cases are lower and they wear masks therefore we must wear masks too.'

Needless to say I was critical of that view, because it seemed absolutely fucking obvious that the UKs latest wave was coming to an end and the big one in Eastern Europe would inevitably soon spread west. Their last wave was 5-6 months ago.

I got told to 'do some science' by a doomer on twitter, and then blocked, for expressing that view at the time.

Edit - here's the brilliant FT guy talking about it    https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1456586893370535941

Edited by TheTeapot