Back to work

hissingsid

Now that fishing is allowed and the golf courses are open and time outside is unlimited with a good weather forecast for next week I cannot see anyone rushing back to work.   It may be good for a break in a busy lifestyle I can see people’s attitude to free time altering after this ..you are a long time dead after all and there are no pockets in a shroud.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Butterflies said:

Yes I agree with this, lots of people discovering how nice it is not to work and to have free time. This will definitely change the way people think about their home/work life balance.

it may change how they think, but many people are in so much debt they will need to be back to working every second they can to avoid going bankrupt.

Agreed WTF. And I in no way make light or dismiss the situation that many are in. But equally many people are ok financially and even building up savings due to a combination of working from home, government support, lack of anything to spend money on. 

Hopefully most of those struggling have been able to secure mortgage holidays etc and have no worries about losing rented accommodation or utility supplies due to regulations brought in around this crisis.

when this shit has settled and some people do decide to stay working from home to avoid the office wanker and the wasted travel time they will be saving motoring and parking costs etc and governments tax/duty take on fuel will be short, as will parking charges,   someone will still need to pay for government bloat and other prices will have to go up to compensate hitting those that still work in an office with the associated travel costs even harder.

Government has to be the agent of change to implement the Curran Report, there is literally no one else to do it

Wait to see how well they get on with that before talking of maintaining the sizeable IOM Government establishment

16 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Government has to be the agent of change to implement the Curran Report, there is literally no one else to do it

Wait to see how well they get on with that before talking of maintaining the sizeable IOM Government establishment

I fully expect to get potted from my gov job because of this (and to be honest i don't really mind might be the kick up the arse i need), but then i am one of the bottom rung people who do all the work (and never ever earned the average £45 grand a year this forum thinks we get paid) so then the general population of the island will be left with all the middle managers on big salaries who know and do fuck all.

5 hours ago, The Chief said:

I fully expect to get potted from my gov job because of this (and to be honest i don't really mind might be the kick up the arse i need), but then i am one of the bottom rung people who do all the work (and never ever earned the average £45 grand a year this forum thinks we get paid) so then the general population of the island will be left with all the middle managers on big salaries who know and do fuck all.

In an 'ideal' world - which may not be far away - it may be that everybody (that is to say everybody paid from the public purse) reverts to a sort of universal wage (including pension). If a person thinks they are worth more then they have to apply for enhanced salary.

After all, there is nothing other than the basics and a few home luxuries to spend money on. And Government cash will be short.

Hit that big reset button.

I think I've expressed that before, but it maybe the only option.

Comrade

:(

There won't be any reset buttons pressed.   Other than Alf resetting personal tax rates at both the lower and higher rates.  Wouldn't be massively surprised to see an additional tax rate on people earning over 50k as they will be an easy target to pacify the rest.  Tax raises were coming anyway in order to bridge the gap on paying ps/cs pensions so this is a timely excuse to enact that in July.

As a society I think that over the last few generations we have lost sight of the importance of work-life balance.  I remember as a kid in the 1960s hearing a lot of talk about how were were going to be a "leisure society" because a lot of the manual drudgery was going to be done for us in the future by machines.  All of that talk had evaporated by the 1970s and we just ended up working harder and harder.  Yes, I understand that some people on low incomes are struggling to make ends meet and feel they need to work all the hours God sends, and I'm not minimising how difficult that must be.  But on the other hand, there are a lot of people who are maybe middle aged or nearing retirement, feeling the need to slow down, would like to go part time but are forced to continue working full time because there aren't the part time jobs available and there isn't a culture of allowing people to work part time.  This is where the Govt should step in and provide incentives and encouragement for part time working, which might as an additional bonus free up some jobs for those made unemployed because of the pandemic. 

To be fair the government seem to do more than their bit by employing too many people as it is with a prefect work life balance.

You would see an interesting shift in lockdown opinion were some of the CS/PS subject to the private sector approach of reducing pay or hours of staff who are not required.

There must be (and you can include Local authorities here) a decent percentage of employees sat at home twidling their thumbs on full pay.  

Archived