eScooter IOM Laws?

Onyourbike

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows what the rules are on electronic Scooters such as the Mi Electric Scooter Pro (https://www.mi.com/global/mi-electric-scooter-pro) on the Isle of Man? I know that the UK don't permit them on anything other than private property, and that reforms are on the way, but I seem to recall reading that it was a bit of a grey area on the Isle of Man. Anyone know? Cheers :)

electricScooter_01.jpg

From memory, IOM Police said a while back, they're not allowed a) can't be used on roads b) not permitted on pavements - I think they specifically called out the Prom walkway as not allowed (I think that has its own regs). My memory, may be wrong, or the Police may be though...

I've had some fun on these things zipping around some European cities. Not sure why they would be unlawful, my immediate analogy is a bike and an e-bike. We all know cyclists don't go on pavements (except at traffic lights when they are allowed to do as they please) etc etc.

If a kid can scoot along on a manual scooter, surely an e-scooter would be permitted? I am thinking Mooragh Park, promenades and so on as opposed to the Mountain Rd et al.

2 minutes ago, inspector said:

If a kid can scoot along on a manual scooter, surely an e-scooter would be permitted? I am thinking Mooragh Park, promenades and so on as opposed to the Mountain Rd et al.

The big diffence is the speeds involved. Being hit by a 5 stone kid travelling at 20mph is gonna smart somewhat. Stopping distance, pedestrian awareness an'that. Some scooters can hit 50+ mph.

Make of that what you will... 

1 minute ago, quilp said:

The big diffence is the speeds involved. Being hit by a 5 stone kid travelling at 20mph is gonna smart somewhat. Stopping distance, pedestrian awareness an'that. Some scooters can hit 50+ mph.

Make of that what you will... 

It's interesting when you look at the mobility scooter laws.........I think the traffic act says 4mph max on pavements, and 8mph max on roads (all with due care and attention). Stock EU scooters are normally capped at 15mph max, so that's a good start. Perhaps then down to the person on the scooter to exercise loads of care and attention on pavements and keep to the mobility scooter speed of 4mph, or there abouts?

The main issue is people can’t be trusted to ride them in a safe manner, you can cap them to say 8mph but people will just bypass it and go full rip down the high street. Ebike regs are fairly similar, they’ve had to cap maximum output, speed restricted to 15.5mph and only pedal assist, no throttle allowed. This hasn’t stopped owners bypassing their machines, tricking the speed sensor and fitting aftermarket throttles though. 

6 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

The main issue is people can’t be trusted to ride them in a safe manner, you can cap them to say 8mph but people will just bypass it and go full rip down the high street. Ebike regs are fairly similar, they’ve had to cap maximum output, speed restricted to 15.5mph and only pedal assist, no throttle allowed. This hasn’t stopped owners bypassing their machines, tricking the speed sensor and fitting aftermarket throttles though. 

do they actually fit throttles on bikes?

On 5/16/2020 at 12:33 PM, Annoymouse said:

I thought they had been capped at 13mph (20kph)? Anything over that requires registration, tax, insurance etc. 

Archived