Teacher’s pay dispute

Banker

On 11/24/2020 at 1:48 PM, Destinymoon said:

Oh, you really are in the know Mr Fairfax.............perhaps a few teachers would be able to confirm this :)

I would very much like teacher or anyone else to put me out of my misery, and detail explicitly (with reasoned points and references) why and how children from different backgrounds get similar education opportunities. Then I can just tick this topic off and will happily more on. 

On 11/24/2020 at 1:48 PM, Destinymoon said:

And could it be perhaps that this expected arrival could allow the use of the teachers that 'can' for observations and others disappear into the broom cupboard........heaven forbid

All schools (private or state) will stage of show for any inspection or official open day. If escape what school wants you to see they all have kids staring at ceiling during lessons and teenagers with an attitude. But when you look at object measures even with school with similar ability ranges, the outcomes differ significantly. I am just asking firstly why and secondly are people happy about this?

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The arguments about teachers , the poor teaching and the recent refusal to do after school work etc is one of reasons more parents are paying for private tutors if you can get one!

also those who can afford it pay for KWC and it’s no surprise that privately educated children get better results, do better in getting best jobs etc. they also had mandatory online lessons during lockdown with homework 

9 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

I would very much like teacher or anyone else to put me out of my misery, and detail explicitly (with reasoned points and references) why and how children from different backgrounds get similar education opportunities. Then I can just tick this topic off and will happily more on. 

All schools (private or state) will stage of show for any inspection or official open day. If escape what school wants you to see they all have kids staring at ceiling during lessons and teenagers with an attitude. But when you look at object measures even with school with similar ability ranges, the outcomes differ significantly. I am just asking firstly why and secondly are people happy about this?

You may well have corrected some typo's but you really need to check your grammar.  Several of your posts have given me a headache.  Just look at that opening sentence....  I started to get the "red pen" out but frankly the whole of your post is a mess.

Clearly you did not pay attention at school.

3 hours ago, Banker said:

The arguments about teachers , the poor teaching and the recent refusal to do after school work etc is one of reasons more parents are paying for private tutors if you can get one!

As far as I can tell there is no incentive in state education system to deliver good outcomes. With catchment areas a schools viability solely depends on the number of children born in that area, surely make more sense for all teachers/parents/kids to make incentives more in line with aims of education, as set out in education act.

State system also has very limited resources, last time I looked I think school gets around 2,300 GBP/year per pupil, private schools it over 10,000 GBP/year, so product with greatest will in world is not going to be the same.

3 hours ago, Banker said:

also those who can afford it pay for KWC and it’s no surprise that privately educated children get better results, do better in getting best jobs etc. they also had mandatory online lessons during lockdown with homework 

Buchan/KWC unlike private schools in UK do not face intense competition with other local private schools.  

5 hours ago, Banker said:

They stopped giving homework after week 1 as it was felt the students had spent enough time learning on-line. 

1 hour ago, BenFairfax said:

Buchan/KWC unlike private schools in UK do not face intense competition with other local private schools.  

Not correct. Many parents send their kids to private UK schools. Often cheaper even with boarding, option to do A levels instead of IB and higher standard of education.

47 minutes ago, Get a life said:

Not correct. Many parents send their kids to private UK schools. Often cheaper even with boarding, option to do A levels instead of IB and higher standard of education.

You make a fair point but  it is hardly intense competition

43 minutes ago, Get a life said:

Yes, I know a few doing this, and why I put in "local private schools". Including situation where one parent is here working and other lives in UK so kids can attend private UK schools.  

Regarding UK boarding schools, the KWC day fees are around same level as cheapest UK boarding schools, which I think is not a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, Get a life said:

Suppose that’s ok if you don’t want to see your children but most people I know who can afford it send them to KWC , I know 2 families who send to UK for particular sporting reasons 

When my daughter started Buchan the class had 14 kids, by end Buchan year groups typically number in 30s, and 1st year intake at KWC is in 60s. Buchan/KWC have independent external inspections see ISI Inspection Report , which reflect what I found/experienced in these institutions. The IoM state sector intake this year I assume took in around 785 children born in 2015. So by far vast majority of kids on IoM attended state education settings, namely schools. So I am just curious are other's be they teachers, parents, or others, happy that 95% kids attend education settings with no (meaningful) external inspection or published data to assess outcomes?

[The Education Act is clear that it is parental responsibility to ensure that their child receives a suitable education. Within IoM education system, the parents do not have any data to make such a judgement for their child.] 

Archived