Teacher’s pay dispute

Banker

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Banker said:

Unions seem to be getting rather irate that government haven’t got money to pay them an extra 9% plus £1.75m lump sums on top of 2.75% they have already had this year.

personally I think they are being unreasonable but sure others won’t.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-money-to-resolve-teachers-pay-dispute-treasury/

I agree with you. Offered a deal and refused it. That funding was used during the pandemic to pay people for not working, including some teachers and to prop up businesses.
Now they complain that the deal has been pulled away from the table. Tough luck. Should have had the sense to take the offer. No sympathy from me. I know of many families, whose kids received next to no work or help from fully paid teachers.

4 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Plus we need the cash to horrendously overpay for building some flats

Yeah. I saw some figures last week that I could not get my head around. Building flats in Willaston and from the figures given, it was costing about £300,000 to build each one, the another £900,000 to build 2 more with associated works. Eye watering sums.

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Yeah. I saw some figures last week that I could not get my head around. Building flats in Willaston and from the figures given, it was costing about £300,000 to build each one, the another £900,000 to build 2 more with associated works. Eye watering sums.

Probably why the teachers think there’s loads of cash about!!

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Probably why the teachers think there’s loads of cash about!!

I am yet to understand why teachers think they are underpaid. FFS they aren’t exactly on minimum wage. They have to obtain a degree. Yes, So do many others like nurses who are way, way above teachers in terms of work and dedication.

Our children had some absolutely fantastic teachers at various schools, but also had to suffer many useless people in the wrong job. In fact we got a useless teacher taken out of her role and she had to be mentored for a year or so. That speaks volumes to me about the people taking up the profession fir the wrong reasons. Sometimes the wrong people take the wrong career choice and the pupils suffer for it.

14 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It wasn't quite that amount.  It actually works out about 180k a flat.  Still ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It wasn't quite that amount.  It actually works out about 180k a flat.  Still ridiculous.

Must have read it wrong then. But yes, crazy numbers. Worked closely with the building trade for many, many years and so many people have said the build cost is not that far away from half the selling price. No doubt every man and his dog will be out now saying that is rubbish, but I believe and respect the view of those who quoted those figures.

The thing about a project is its typically a one off (capital) spend whereas a payrise recurs each year and for any particular section is referenced against other Government salaries.

Teachers argued for years for UK / English analogue to up their pay. Now having got it, they want to break it. 

The big uk unions are very interested - are they playing dependencies and devolved admins off against each other?

5 hours ago, HeliX said:

Teacher salaries are shite for how much work they do. Govt should just cough up. Stop spending so much money on vanity projects.

Quite so.

All those holidays - what a bastard they must be....

Archived