Teacher’s pay dispute

Banker

9 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Must have read it wrong then. But yes, crazy numbers. Worked closely with the building trade for many, many years and so many people have said the build cost is not that far away from half the selling price. No doubt every man and his dog will be out now saying that is rubbish, but I believe and respect the view of those who quoted those figures.

Who is building them ? sorry don't want to derail the thread !!

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, asitis said:

Who is building them ? sorry don't want to derail the thread !!

No one yet I assume.   Wouldn't they need to get approval for the funding then go out to tender?  Although they may well have done that if they have a figure in mind.

Quite how a block of 52 flats and surrounding works is costing over 9m is another question though.

6 hours ago, HeliX said:

Teacher salaries are shite for how much work they do. Govt should just cough up. Stop spending so much money on vanity projects.

Lol....compared to a nurse / police officer / fireman? I appreciate the position of a teacher is demanding, but they get more pay, more holidays, work better hours conducive to family life, don’t work overnight which usually leads to ill health, don’t work in positions of danger... If they want more pay, fine....but they should be some way down the list of public service occupations that deserve it (not that those I’ve mentioned do either, except maybe nurses). I couldn’t see any of those occupations thinking about striking either- with the majority of the island having had to look after/teach little ones for the past few months at home, and with summer holidays coming up also, the teaching unions aren’t going to gain public support by going down that particular route. 

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

No one yet I assume.   Wouldn't they need to get approval for the funding then go out to tender?  Although they may well have done that if they have a figure in mind.

Quite how a block of 52 flats and surrounding works is costing over 9m is another question though.

Why would you publish a build cost, then go out to tender?  Seems like a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

They are well paid for working 2/3rd of the year.  They are greedy, they get the same salary as those across and I know we may have some difficult children but nothing compared with across.   Why do they think they are entitled to more money for living here ?   Housing is expensive if you compare it to some inner cities but if you look at the south of England, Torquay, Devon or the Home Counties it is comparable.   I hope the Government tells them where to go.   Some teachers are great but certainly not all.

2 hours ago, manxst said:

Lol....compared to a nurse / police officer / fireman? I appreciate the position of a teacher is demanding, but they get more pay, more holidays, work better hours conducive to family life, don’t work overnight which usually leads to ill health, don’t work in positions of danger... If they want more pay, fine....but they should be some way down the list of public service occupations that deserve it (not that those I’ve mentioned do either, except maybe nurses). I couldn’t see any of those occupations thinking about striking either- with the majority of the island having had to look after/teach little ones for the past few months at home, and with summer holidays coming up also, the teaching unions aren’t going to gain public support by going down that particular route. 

Their salaries should increase too.

"more pay, more holidays, work better hours conducive to family life", it may look like that if you're only looking at the work they're paid for. Once you add clubs, putting on shows (if they're music teachers), marking, lesson planning, school trips, filling out evaluations, etc, the hourly rate is pisspoor.

All the teachers I know here were setting work for kids and moving their entire syllabus online during lockdown.

17 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Helix is obviously a teacher or retired teacher, Dangly Bits works forThe DOI .....

Wouldn't catch me doing that much work for that little pay. Also I'm impatient and can't stand any kids that aren't in my immediate family.

25 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

They are well paid for working 2/3rd of the year.  They are greedy, they get the same salary as those across and I know we may have some difficult children but nothing compared with across.   Why do they think they are entitled to more money for living here ?   Housing is expensive if you compare it to some inner cities but if you look at the south of England, Torquay, Devon or the Home Counties it is comparable.   I hope the Government tells them where to go.   Some teachers are great but certainly not all.

UK teacher pay is tied to region. IIRC the NEU (not sure about the other unions) wanted IOM teacher pay to be moved to the same scale as the "London fringe area" for UK. Which probably makes sense given our house prices.

EDIT: And here's why it wasn't accepted by the other unions: https://mm.aiircdn.com/147/5e21ced9b2e5f.pdf

9 hours ago, HeliX said:

Teacher salaries are shite for how much work they do. Govt should just cough up. Stop spending so much money on vanity projects.

As far as I am aware the IOM mirror the UK on teachers pay, and they pre Covid had been offered an above inflation pay rise which they rejected. Now following a hugely expensive lockdown, an imminent  economic crisis and frankly an underwhelming home schooling experience, they are asking for what appears to be a contextually ridiculous percentage rise plus a lump sum. I am a staunch supporter of educational provision along with many other essential public services, and ordinarily I would agree that most are deserving of increased recognition, but in this case they need to climb back in their box and look after what little goodwill they still have. Mine has been severely tested in recent months.

3 hours ago, manxst said:

[...] with the majority of the island having had to look after/teach little ones for the past few months at home, and with summer holidays coming up also, the teaching unions aren’t going to gain public support by going down that particular route. 

Yes you only have to look at the comments on here about how people found it so easy to educate and look after their kids at home all day and how they didn't want to send them back to school.  No one was making any demands for the schools to open immediately to take their children off them (preferably 24/7).  Teaching must be such a doddle.

A case in point. I asked two schoolies of the same age (12) but in different classes who live in my street how much contact they'd had with their teachers whilst under lockdown. One said none at all and the other said that she'd received emails from her teacher at all times, sometimes 12 o'clock at night! 

14 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Stick with what they get through the UK deals.  

Schools are spunking enough cash in Internal ‘management points’ as it is these days, 

And get rid of that horrible shouty union woman.  

Geraldine was nearly an MHK. That would have been fun, but as ever* the Tynwald machine would have known exactly what buttons to press to shut her up.

*apart from Peter Karran. Him and his Dolphin Certificate were a one off

Archived