Teacher’s pay dispute

Banker

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

They are well paid for working 2/3rd of the year.  They are greedy, they get the same salary as those across and I know we may have some difficult children but nothing compared with across.   Why do they think they are entitled to more money for living here ?   Housing is expensive if you compare it to some inner cities but if you look at the south of England, Torquay, Devon or the Home Counties it is comparable.   I hope the Government tells them where to go.   Some teachers are great but certainly not all.

You speak some shite sid

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes you only have to look at the comments on here about how people found it so easy to educate and look after their kids at home all day and how they didn't want to send them back to school.  No one was making any demands for the schools to open immediately to take their children off them (preferably 24/7).  Teaching must be such a doddle.

Both my parents were head teachers in inner city UK schools, so I’m well aware of how demanding teaching is. However, I’m of the opinion that in this instance at this time, that particular employment sector isn’t deserving of a pay increase, and the threat of strike action is detrimental to their/your arguments. If you look further at the comments on here you’d also see most people are in agreement with me. 

8 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

As far as I am aware the IOM mirror the UK on teachers pay, and they pre Covid had been offered an above inflation pay rise which they rejected.

Yes but it was rejected on the basis that IOM inflation was higher than they got in the UK so they wanted to benchmark against the IOM inflation. Funnily though Manx inflation went negative last month so if they keep pushing to break the link with the UK maybe we should give it to them? If inflation here ends up -2% this year - welcome to your much asked for Inflationary pay increase it’s actually a 2% paycut!

7 hours ago, manxst said:

Both my parents were head teachers in inner city UK schools, so I’m well aware of how demanding teaching is. However, I’m of the opinion that in this instance at this time, that particular employment sector isn’t deserving of a pay increase, and the threat of strike action is detrimental to their/your arguments. If you look further at the comments on here you’d also see most people are in agreement with me. 

I think you have to bear in mind the inbuilt jealousy people have of anyone earning half decent money.

Teaching is a really important job.  It isn't like driving a van or stacking shelves or shuffling paper around.  Those jobs are easy, anyone can do them and they pay poorly.

Teaching isnt something anyone or everyone can do.  To suggest they only work school hours is also fanciful.

I don’t really know if teaching is underpaid, fairly paid or overpaid.   But one thing is for certain - it's a very important job and deserves decent pay.

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I think you have to bear in mind the inbuilt jealousy people have of anyone earning half decent money.

Teaching is a really important job.  It isn't like driving a van or stacking shelves or shuffling paper around.  Those jobs are easy, anyone can do them and they pay poorly.

Teaching isnt something anyone or everyone can do.  To suggest they only work school hours is also fanciful.

I don’t really know if teaching is underpaid, fairly paid or overpaid.   But one thing is for certain - it's a very important job and deserves decent pay.

People stacking shelves should be paid more too.

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Absolutely. But jobs like nursing, police, fire fighters etc are equally as important and deserve decent pay. However, Teachers already get more salary, and seemingly better conditions like holidays compared to those. If teachers get more pay, there’s zero reasons why they shouldn’t also. However, in the current climate, I’d say none of them should be getting improved salary.

3 minutes ago, manxst said:

Absolutely. But jobs like nursing, police, fire fighters etc are equally as important and deserve decent pay. However, Teachers already get more salary, and seemingly better conditions like holidays compared to those. If teachers get more pay, there’s zero reasons why they shouldn’t also. However, in the current climate, I’d say none of them should be getting improved salary.

Or all of them should and the Government should stop pissing money away on crap. And maybe legalise and tax cannabis while we're at it.

15 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Teachers are far more important to the economy than nurses firefighters or the cops. Mainly by babysitting the peasants offspring so the peasants can go out to slave an existence. I expect most of them will be intelligent enough to realise this, barring woodwork and metalwork teachers obviously.

Well teachers have already had 2.75% pay rise this year and I don’t think anyone can justify an extra 9% plus lump sums in present economic climate.

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Well teachers have already had 2.75% pay rise this year and I don’t think anyone can justify an extra 9% plus lump sums in present economic climate.

Can't they? Lots of people I know have done better than that.

11 hours ago, HeliX said:

Or all of them should and the Government should stop pissing money away on crap. And maybe legalise and tax cannabis while we're at it.

Legalising and taxing cannabis wouldn't raise much revenue because people won't want to pay twice the price and will still use dealers because it will be cheaper.

The only way you could ever make that work is to make the penalties for dealing cannabis so severe it stopped it happening.  Quite how you would enforce that and term someone as having "non personal use" levels of cannabis is another story.

Whatever happened to common sense....

Bullying allegations, now throwing the dummy out because they can’t get their own way, like a little crying child...oh wait..

No sympathy I’m afraid, had your offer, we have COVID now, tough luck. No sympathy and with very unregulated teacher performance it would appear in regards to what others have shared they have a cheek.

There are quite a few departments and management that could do with being cleared out anyway, promoted to take them away from poor performance in teaching kids....

Archived