Manx Care

Apple

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Leaking out of DHSC, or leaking out of Manx Care?

There is no information in the official public domain and staff are not allowed to release information. I understand that events some months ago are being looked into. Privacy and confidentiality of people though must be respected and maintained. 

• Confused 1

On 5/27/2021 at 9:09 AM, Apple said:

There is no information in the official public domain and staff are not allowed to release information. I understand that events some months ago are being looked into. Privacy and confidentiality of people though must be respected and maintained. 

Oh do tell! Anything to do with alleged philandering of a knight?

https://consult.gov.im/health-and-social-care/duty-of-candour-consultation-on-draft-legislation/results/draftregulationspost-consultation.pdf

@Dr. GrumpyMy apologies. I have heeded the signs and warnings.

Many people (including clinical staff and politicians and managers ) know about these incidents but clearly 'no comment allowed' is the line being dictated / followed. 

The only way for any organisation to develop, learn and grow is to be different, embrace change and to occasionally take risks. It seems the Duty of Candour (link above) does not always come into play.

If Manx Care wants to point the way forward and regain the trust and confidence that the DHSC has eroded in some cases then this engagement, honesty and transparency, however limited, would have been the way to do it. 

When will they learn that when these things do eventually come into the public domain the "we knew all along but kept it from you " brigade begin to see the damage such an approach creates.

Happy to debate the wisdom of that policy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2021 at 9:39 AM, 2112 said:

By setting up a calll centre money is being wasted yet again. It won’t stop.people complaining to their politicos. It will cost the taxpayer more money. 

Something needs to be done and this is something................................

CS just doing what CS do

On 5/26/2021 at 9:34 AM, Apple said:

I would suggest any complaints about health and social care get copied into the local MHK. They way they can offer support and guidance to their constituents if needed, and also keep them in the loop about how Manx Care is progressing, or otherwise

You want medical information copied to politicians? If the person wants to inform politicians, its their choice to do so themselves, & certainly not copied automatically 

1 hour ago, momo65 said:

You want medical information copied to politicians? If the person wants to inform politicians, its their choice to do so themselves, & certainly not copied automatically 

Totally agree. It is all about choice and that is the point.

We have recently been advised by Manx Care NOT to complain to MHK's and that was the issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone what the situation is with regards to Manx Care sharing data with NHS Digital?  

A skim of the Manx care website does state that they share anonymised information. 

If you are receiving care services from us, we may share information that does not identify you (anonymised) with other NHS and social care partner agencies for the purpose of improving local services, staff training, research, audit and public health. 

Saw this on Ramsey Group Practice Facebook 

Good evening to all of our patients. This post is to update you on the recent headlines regarding NHS Digital and their plans for using general practice data for planning and research purposes (GPDPR). We do apologise for the length of the post, but we feel it is very important to keep you all updated.
Firstly, we want to reassure you all that Ramsey Group Practice raised this issue with Manx Care a couple of weeks ago now. Im sure other practices across the Island have done the same. The Information Commissioner is also aware of GP practices and patients concerns.
In order for your data to be shared for this purpose, our clinical system (EMIS) will be updated with a data sharing agreement which we would have to "tick"in order to activate it. As yet, this HAS NOT appeared on our clinical system. We are unclear if the
Isle of Man is going to be included in this and we are still awaiting clarification from Manx Care. We are chasing this on a daily basis.
Ramsey Group Practice are the guardians of your personal data and we take this extremely seriously and patients should be kept informed every step of the way so there is transparency and more importantly, the option to opt out if they so wish.
Although the situation is still not clear to us we wrote the following email to Manx Care this afternoon. Many GP practices in the UK have written the same letter to their Health Authorities, we have adapted this include the Isle of Man:
"We remain unclear as to the position the Isle of Man are going to take on the GPDPR issue and it would have been really helpful to us and patients if some media had gone out to help alleviate the fear that our patients have over this. We have received numerous complaints about it and are at a loss what to tell our patients except we have raised our concerns with Manx Care and we are doing all we can to seek advice to reassure them. GPDPR will be covered by UK law, will it be lawful to do this on the Isle of Man? We are also unclear whether we will be getting this update from Emis.
We are just writing to inform you that we will not be enabling data harvesting for the pourposes of GPDPR under the current plans (if we receive the update). Along with our colleagues in the UK we believe that it would be both inappropriate and illegal to do so as it would mean releasing potentially identifiable health data without the data subjects consent. Furthermore that data would, we understand, be held for an indefinate period of time which would also seem to breach the laws governing the processing of sensitive data.
The purpose to which this information might be put is unclear, as are the circumstances under which the records might be
de-anonymised. We are therefore unable to obtain informed consent from our patients prior to release of the data and in any case, it is not our role to seek consent on behalf of a third party who wants to access the records - that role lies with NHS digital who should contact each patient to obtain specific informed consent for the use of their data.
I ask that you consider advising all GP practices to withhold the records from the GPDPR (if the Isle of Man is to be included) until the points above have been satisfactorily addressed and I also ask that Manx Care could put out some media for our patients to alleviate their concerns"
We will of course keep you updated as and when we hear anything further. We know lots of our patients have been worrying about this but please be assured we are doing all we can to establish if the Isle of Man is going to be included.
Again, apologies for the long post, but we felt it was important to inform you all. We would be grateful if you could pass on this information to those who don't use social media.
Please take care.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

Does anyone what the situation is with regards to Manx Care sharing data with NHS Digital?  

A skim of the Manx care website does state that they share anonymised information. 

If you are receiving care services from us, we may share information that does not identify you (anonymised) with other NHS and social care partner agencies for the purpose of improving local services, staff training, research, audit and public health. 

Well I’m quite happy with that. Can’t see why anybody would have a problem with it.

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Are they giving this data away for free or selling it?

Looks like we are paying NHS digital to collect the data?

"NHS digital is entitled to a reasonable fee"

https://digital.nhs.uk/about-nhs-digital/corporate-information-and-documents/directions-and-data-provision-notices/isle-of-man/hscn-connectivity-service-for-the-isle-of-man-department-of-health-and-social-care

Screenshot_20210610-172021.thumb.jpg.86e781aefa7e5fd7030f51bc19580795.jpg

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I’m quite happy with that. Can’t see why anybody would have a problem with it.

If I was you I would be quite concerned that IOM NHS could share details about your health conditions.

For example, that phallic protrusion that sticks out of the middle of your forehead?

The UK national press will be all over it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

If I was you I would be quite concerned that IOM NHS could share details about your health conditions.

For example, that phallic protrusion that sticks out of the middle of your forehead?

The UK national press will be all over it.

Well no one would know it was my phallic protrusion as it would be anonymized.

So I still wouldn’t have any concerns whatsoever. It’s for the purpose of improving local services, staff training, research audit and public health.

Whats not to like?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well no one would know it was my phallic protrusion as it would be anonymized.

So I still wouldn’t have any concerns whatsoever. It’s for the purpose of improving local services, staff training, research audit and public health.

Whats not to like?

You actually believe that will be the outcome?