Ramsey Group Practice

Last Ten

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, joebean said:

Triage is, of course an important element of making and prioritising appointments, but the expertise of the person triaging and the ability of the patient to describe symptoms is also very important.

Very true. This is the first step now in the new integrated community assessment process for medical staff that has legal ramifications. It is essential it is done correctly by trained staff and, more importantly, recorded.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:51 PM, Apple said:

Very true. This is the first step now in the new integrated community assessment process for medical staff that has legal ramifications. It is essential it is done correctly by trained staff and, more importantly, recorded.

And maybe a sign of a deterioration of our once admired IOM Doctors & NHS where it now appears cost savings mean more to our struggling Government as opposed to the health and well being of our IOM residents!

12 hours ago, Last Ten said:

And maybe a sign of a deterioration of our once admired IOM Doctors & NHS where it now appears cost savings mean more to our struggling Government as opposed to the health and well being of our IOM residents!

I agree and in all fairness LT something had to change. The annual budget increases and I have to say the growing dissatisfaction over waiting times and the bureaucracy cock-ups meant something had to be done.

Unfortunately Manx Care is not it. 

This is more about Government no longer 'running' the health and social care services but merely 'directing' others to do it on their behalf.

Looking into the latest complaint numbers the DHSC has " received" over 1319 in 3 years, so over 430 per year.

Nobles had 649 of these, and GPs had 85. 

Funnily enough (or not as it may be) there were 69 made against pharmacies.

As the DHSC Minister says that complaints are an opportunity its to share, learned and develop services then maybe people on unreasonable waiting times should also be regarded as "complainers".

Of course, there is no wider public evidence that I see that shows any learning is taking place across the whole Department. 

13 minutes ago, Apple said:

Looking into the latest complaint numbers the DHSC has " received" over 1319 in 3 years, so over 430 per year.

Nobles had 649 of these, and GPs had 85. 

Funnily enough (or not as it may be) there were 69 made against pharmacies.

As the DHSC Minister says that complaints are an opportunity its to share, learned and develop services then maybe people on unreasonable waiting times should also be regarded as "complainers".

Of course, there is no wider public evidence that I see that shows any learning is taking place across the whole Department. 

It depends what the complaints are about.  The health service must handles tens of thousands of interactions a year.    

Well, 2 are mine. 1 x Nobles. 1 x Pharmacy.

And it’s not as if they were major, or even clinical. I suspect many are low level.

Nobles it was the consultant who turned up late, hadn’t read my notes, then took a call mid consult from a colleague in Liverpool, on Speakerphone, to the extent that I got the other patients name, condition, differential diagnosis, and treatment plan. Just didn’t want my details broadcast like that. Just wanted the consultant to get some GDPR/patient confidentiality training. The other patient was advised of the breach and invited to complain, which he did. So it’s actually 2.

pharmacy, me being pedantic, and difficult. Every time I go I’m asked to sign that I’ve received the drugs as prescribed. That’s fine. But they ask before they dispense, and they dispense in a sealed bag. Twice I’ve got home to missing/wrong drugs. I won’t sign now, until I’ve checked the bag. They get quite shirty. They need training so I asked for that as an outcome. 

Petty, really, but I suspect that’s most of them.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Petty, really, but I suspect that’s most of them.

I'm not sure that being given the wrong drugs counts as 'petty' and having systems in place to correct that sounds quite important.  And if you look at the combined three year report for Nobles in particular there's obviously a lot of serious complaints - I suspect "All Aspects of Clinical Treatment" (the most numerous category) includes a lot of these.  

The Nobles section only lists a sample of complaints and may be biased towards those which tell a 'good' story where lessons have actually been learned.  Others may be the subject of legal proceedings of course.

And most patients are not going to be as savvy and confident as yourself and would just shrug their shoulders in the same situations or be afraid to complain.  So the ones that do appear in the report will just be the tip of the iceberg.

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure that being given the wrong drugs counts as 'petty' and having systems in place to correct that sounds quite important.  And if you look at the combined three year report for Nobles in particular there's obviously a lot of serious complaints - I suspect "All Aspects of Clinical Treatment" (the most numerous category) includes a lot of these.  

The Nobles section only lists a sample of complaints and may be biased towards those which tell a 'good' story where lessons have actually been learned.  Others may be the subject of legal proceedings of course.

And most patients are not going to be as savvy and confident as yourself and would just shrug their shoulders in the same situations or be afraid to complain.  So the ones that do appear in the report will just be the tip of the iceberg.

There are degrees of wrong drugs. Only half prescribed, not told. Substituting 50mg for the 75mg prescribed. Not actually the wrong, wrong, thing. Annoying, but sloppy. 

As for clinical my confidentiality/GDPR example counts as clinical.

Im not convinced the number of serious, justified, complaints is high. That’s total before they’re filtered and the no hopers excluded.

I don’t have direct figures, so it’s anecdotal. I’ve historically done 15 years of being the advocate responsible for Nobles med neg defence work and more recently some pro bono assistance for referrals from a health care charity.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Agreed on both counts.

Many people are fearful of making complaints due to :

1. the old age belief that clinical staff can do no wrong and if they do it is bad form to report it.

2. it may have a negative impact on the quality of services received.

I don't think the majority of complaints tend to be trivial. Putting pen to paper against health staff is not taken lightly.

The full report as RM says divides the type of complaint in a more general format which to me serves little benefit other than statistics. A better way will be found just as Manx Care is due to report annually to Tynwald.

Do as we say, not as we did.

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Complaints are low.  Some people complain over very little too.

I doubt all the complaints are recorded in Nobles or any Government departments, any verbal complaints should be recorded but they’re not only written ones as they can’t be ignored .

ive had several appointments letters over past year which included someone else’s in letter and rang up but doubt that was recorded as GDPR breaches 

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

I doubt all the complaints are recorded in Nobles or any Government departments, any verbal complaints should be recorded but they’re not only written ones as they can’t be ignored .

ive had several appointments letters over past year which included someone else’s in letter and rang up but doubt that was recorded as GDPR breaches 

You don't really know that to be fair.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

They won't have been. And there are many, many similar instances that I know of.

If you add the staffing issues that have happened in the last 3 years, especially those not made public, then it seems we have a quite troubled organisation that has it's values, priorities and accountabilities to the public, who are supposed to own it, very mixed up.

I don't think people go into work their to do their worst. Quite opposite actually. But honestly the management and leadership in my view those charged with some roles for scrutiny need to spend less time sucking up to the politicians and some of the senior clinical staff.

Well Ramsey residents we are all being screwed over by Ramsey Group Practice during Covid and even now on a Covid free Island, what a truly disgusting practice who have let the residents of Ramsey and the north down, what a deterioration of our NHS.

"Ramsey Group Practice provided only 38% face-to-face appointments on average during September. This compares with 90% at Finch Hill surgery."

IOMtoday

Archived