TT 2022 ??

Barlow

6 hours ago, manxlass said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-sector-marshal-removed-from-post-after-critical-comments/

So no back up from the marshalling association. Another reason not to bother signing on.

This would appear to be the TTMA rubber stamping the CoC "sacking" a CSM when he ( CoC) was actually on a "frolic of his own" as when he announced the sacking as he had no authority to do so .  

Friend of mine opined that if this is the way the TTMA/ COC/ etc  treats its volunteer marshals it really doesn't deserve to have any .

Just saying:flowers: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think I can just about remember 3 locals being killed in TT week, one on his way to work at Handley's, one on the mountain (travelling against the direction of the course before it was on way throughout) both of these were a good 20 odd years ago. The third was on a bike and reportedly doing well over a ton off the Cronk-y-Voddey straight.

I can't think of any who have been seriously injured. Hardly almost every year is it?

You're right as far as I can recall, two very similar accidents involving a van and an ex idiot on the wrong side of the road, only one a foreigner. Although there were a couple of very low speed accidents resulting in local fatalities in recent years. One was a rider who, whilst in slow moving traffic, braked too hard and tumbled off his bike and banged his head. The other was similar, a one vehicle low speed incident on a classic bike while driving on the Claddaghs. Sadly, these could have happened at any time. Generally, falling off a bike at any speed can cause serious injuries, having only two wheels is a factor, rather than excessive speed. The chances of an accident increase because of the nature of the vehicle, but people automatically imagine lunacy is the cause.

• Like 1

A not insignificant proportion (a figure of about a 3rd was drilled into me on a BikeSafe course across a few years ago) of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents. Failed to negotiate bends etc.

Anyone with a bike of any reasonable capacity will agree that they are wicked quick compared to most vehicles within reach of the average person's budget. For not much over a grand, you can have a 100bhp+ sports bike weighing 170kg doing 0-60 in somewhere around 3 seconds.

Yes, there are some tragic low speed accidents too, but, it's not uncommon for things to go wrong because you've overcooked it or misjudged. Sometimes, people do just get lucky.

5 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Fair points! 

If it's 'Fair Points', why enter into the argument in the first place?

If you're adding to the anti TT argument..............

Paint your house and when someone is killed, say nuffink to do wi me Gov!!!

Jeeze!

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

If it's 'Fair Points', why enter into the argument in the first place?

If you're adding to the anti TT argument..............

Paint your house and when someone is killed, say nuffink to do wi me Gov!!!

Jeeze!

Because it's a discussion. Or does everything have to be a black and white pro / anti argument with you? 

I can imagine life would be exhausting if we all took that approach.

Thankfully some of us can have a reasoned grown up debate. 

Jeeze!

12 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

The state of the TT course roads will have enough of an effect to possible kill off the event.

They may be working on the mountain for 6 weeks but the rest of the course is bumpier and more poorly surfaced than I have ever seen it.

I will beT that their will be at least 1 death on the road between Sulby and Ramsey in this years event, likely many more.

Have you driven it recently? Shocking state and lots of it has been overlaid with that slurry stuff which may give a bit of grip but is only recommended for housing estate roads in the UK...............................

you can't say things like that, you will have the TT fans flocking in lecturing you on what a racing line is and how it doesn't matter about the rest of the road (like they did to me).

10 hours ago, paswt said:

This would appear to be the TTMA rubber stamping the CoC "sacking" a CSM when he ( CoC) was actually on a "frolic of his own" as when he announced the sacking as he had no authority to do so .  

Friend of mine opined that if this is the way the TTMA/ COC/ etc  treats its volunteer marshals it really doesn't deserve to have any .

Maybe we could get the BBC to run an Apprentice style show where the COC goes through social media feeds and picks out things he doesn't like, then he goes round the island telling people they're fired.

Best Apprentice Youre Fired GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 1

In relation to the existing TTMA we are told the date of the  EGA to liquidate the company (9th Feb).

No information has been provided  in relation to the assets and liabilities of the company .

No information has been provided about he new TTMA other than it will be controlled by the DfE who will delegate those powers to the ACU.

The ACU require marshals to "operate in line with the protocols commensurate with the role and prestige of the event and adhere to the ACU's sporting code with regard to officiating on the TT mountain course " 

It could be argued that the "orange army" is going to be run on similar lines to the regular army ( obey without question the instructions of the COC appointed by the ACU) .

Will marshals be required to sign some form of non disclosure agreement to that effect I wonder ?

No confirmation has been given that IOM Gov have agreed to the funding of the new TTMA

ETA No details of the ACU's "sporting code" have been provided .

Edited by paswt

7 minutes ago, paswt said:

In relation to the existing TTMA we are told the date of the  EGA to liquidate the company .

No information has been provided  in relation to the assets and liabilities of the company .

Why are they trying to liquidate it in such a hurry? Man down the pub tried to say it was connected to the Mercer case - but I'm not sure that's true. Anyone know anything?

10 minutes ago, paswt said:

In relation to the existing TTMA we are told the date of the  EGA to liquidate the company .

No information has been provided about he new TTMA other than it will be controlled by the DfE who will delegate those powers to the ACU.

The ACU require marshals to "operate in line with the protocols commensurate with the role and prestige of the event and adhere to the ACU's sporting code with regard to officiating on the TT mountain course " 

It could be argued that the "orange army" is going to be run on similar lines to the regular army ( obey without question the instructions of the COC appointed by the ACU) .

Will marshals be required to sign some form of non disclosure agreement to that effect I wonder ?

No confirmation has been given that IOM Gov have agreed to the funding of the new TTMA

ETA No details of the ACU's "sporting code" have been provided .

The whole scenario is a sounding like a fiasco of epic proportions waiting to unfold. Power battles involving political aspirations both from the organisers and our spineless political overlords. The system was never broke in the first place, but there are people running the show who are behaving as if they are the show, as opposed to the riders, and teams being part of the show. The bit part players, without which there can be no show are being hung out to dry, and abused. I doubt that imported Marshalls, especially if many have had no IOM experience will not go down well. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Why are they trying to liquidate it in such a hurry? Man down the pub tried to say it was connected to the Mercer case - but I'm not sure that's true. Anyone know anything?

I'd have thought they need to get it sorted well in advance of TT week.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The whole scenario is a sounding like a fiasco of epic proportions waiting to unfold. Power battles involving political aspirations both from the organisers and our spineless political overlords. The system was never broke in the first place, but there are people running the show who are behaving as if they are the show, as opposed to the riders, and teams being part of the show. The bit part players, without which there can be no show are being hung out to dry, and abused. I doubt that imported Marshalls, especially if many have had no IOM experience will not go down well. 

Most UK circuit marshals are volunteers who do it at the weekend, the FIA and F1 have a few paid marshals that go to foreign events to help out new crews but there's no way the TT are getting a couple of hundred over here for best part of 2 weeks.

I still think we (the great manx public) will get the blame for not supporting the TT by not volunteering.

• Like 5