Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1. Airport security was not great this morning .There was the easyjet to Belfast and the loganair to Heathrow just after mid day 

Only one working Xray scanner and the conveyor belt was frequently getting stuck 

The person doing the scan had to get up frequently and move the bags ( adding to the delays ) . This is not the first time I've seen it happen .. And shows lack of planning  and maintenance .

2..Rendezvous lounge was closed as usual at mid day .. ( I suppose there is more chance of winning  the lottery than seeing it open  😉 )

3. Costa was surprisingly efficient and the coffee was good   Staff were very good  .  So that was the only positive thing today.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:34 AM, IOM said:

That is going to be another problem . Around 5500 passengers are using the route according to airport data . There will now be circa 16000 seats for sale . Once again frequency could be at risk which I just don’t think is helpful . 

Over capacity equals cheap seats.

That's good news for those of us on a low budget.

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

For a short time until the weaker operator is forced off the route…

Probably. 
i don’t think there will ever be a perfect situation which is why we have had so many operators come and go over the years.  
One thing we certainly need, and it’s what most people want, is cheap air travel. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bonatti said:

Probably. 
i don’t think there will ever be a perfect situation which is why we have had so many operators come and go over the years.  
One thing we certainly need, and it’s what most people want, is cheap air travel. 

So you are happy to just have one flight a day of cheap tickets ? 

16 minutes ago, bonatti said:

I agree, however it is not possible for cheap and aviation to go together, perhaps economy of scale can ease costs but we don't have that.

Aviation is the most regulated, bureaucratic form of transport imaginable (not saying that's a bad thing as safety has to override everything else) but with that comes horrific cost.

I forget the actual measurements but your Boeing 737 which may take you to the med on holiday, if the flap tracks (things the flaps run in to extend and retract) are worn I think beyond twenty thou, they have to be replaced at a cost of $600000 per side, maintenance alone makes cheap aviation not possible !

The only thing trying to get cheap here achieves, is as JW says, forces the weakest operator off the route.

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

So you are happy to just have one flight a day of cheap tickets ? 

If that is the only way I can afford to travel by air, then yes. 

Air travel is no longer a luxury that only a few can afford. And we should have access to that which is what Easyjet has given us. 
it’s not perfect, but it suits most. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bonatti said:

If that is the only way I can afford to travel by air, then yes. 

Air travel is no longer a luxury that only a few can afford. And we should have access to that which is what Easyjet has given us. 
it’s not perfect, but it suits most. 

So what about those people who need a more regularly timed frequent service ? Some people rely on frequency of service but maybe you don’t care so long as you are ok ? Air travel to the island is ridiculously low in some instances have you ever been on a train across ? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bonatti said:

Probably. 

Oh and good luck with that when EasyJet decide to switch the place elsewhere like they did in the summer ! Or when the price increases dramatically when there is only one flight a day as happened with the Gatwick flight last year . 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, we have come to expect cheap seats as the normal.  I am sure there are now many people on the island who consider that anything over £40 each way is unacceptable and exploitation !!
In order to gain the service the island needs we must accept a compromise. I feel an average ticket price circa £75 each way would allow for an effective and profitable service.

Sadly, we cannot return to the heady days of Manx Airlines, Jersey European Airways etc, the emergence of Low Cost airlines have killed off these “quality” air services. Nonetheless, we have to develop an operation that suits the needs of both Island and Airline(s).  If this means the end of “Open Skies” and possible government subsidies on essential services, so be it. 

6 minutes ago, IOM said:

Oh and good luck with that when EasyJet decide to switch the place elsewhere like they did in the summer ! Or when the price increases dramatically when there is only one flight a day as happened with the Gatwick flight last year . 

I think we've been over this. easy have been wanting to serve Manchester for some time but Annie R would always find a way to make it difficult to do.

We've talked about this phrase before: capacity agreements.

Let's not forget that - pre COVID - Manchester was serviced by 4 Flybe flights per day. There's clearly scope for 2xLoganair (who have showed little interest in further increasing those frequencies despite proposed min 3 daily way back when) along with 1 daily easyjet. Suits all needs and there's clearly the capacity there for that scope.

I could be wrong but I'm certain Manchester is a requirement for PTS too.

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

I think we've been over this. easy have been wanting to serve Manchester for some time but Annie R would always find a way to make it difficult to do.

We've talked about this phrase before: capacity agreements.

Let's not forget that - pre COVID - Manchester was serviced by 4 Flybe flights per day. There's clearly scope for 2xLoganair (who have showed little interest in further increasing those frequencies despite proposed min 3 daily way back when) along with 1 daily easyjet. Suits all needs and there's clearly the capacity there for that scope.

I could be wrong but I'm certain Manchester is a requirement for PTS too.

We might have been over it but the point still remains . And I don’t think many people grasp the point hence why I will keep making the argument in the vain hope it can get others to see the problem . The fact is there are 160000 seats a month in Manchester now and it was doing 11000 pre pandemic. We need to be careful we don’t end up with a big loss in frequency that’s not good for the island . And I don’t mind which airline it us but a route like Manchester needs at least two a day at sensible times not random ones that the carrier is using to fit another more important schedule. 

• Thanks 1

We can go round in circles on this subject all day long. The truth is, as many have said, there is no perfect solution. We need cheap air travel, and if we impose regulations on routes, we will will endanger that.

Since Easyjets arrival (2008?) we have generally had both cheap and regular travel. Operators have come and gone, but that is  mostly down the uncertainty in the airline industry rather than local issues. 

9 minutes ago, bonatti said:

We can go round in circles on this subject all day long. The truth is, as many have said, there is no perfect solution. We need cheap air travel, and if we impose regulations on routes, we will will endanger that.

Since Easyjets arrival (2008?) we have generally had both cheap and regular travel. Operators have come and gone, but that is  mostly down the uncertainty in the airline industry rather than local issues. 

I don’t agree . It’s not a case of going around in circles if you are happy to see one flight a day on key routes well good for you . But you are absolutely not considering the needs of others . Put it this way imagine the fuss if those living in say Port Erin ended up with one huge bus a day to Douglas albeit you only paid 10p to get there ! That’s what we have with airlines and I fear you don’t understand the problem nor care ! But each to their own as they say !!!! As long as you get your cheap ticket let’s not worry about hospital patients , businessmen ( who incidentally will bring investment to the island ) or those that have family commitments. 

• Like 1