Taxi firms

Mrjoyce

15 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Taxis are restricted to operate within one of four areas, taking that regulation away may be better so that they can ply for hire all over the island? It makes it worthwhile taking on longer fares?

The starting point would be implenting ranks island wide to ply for hire on. There are currently only ranks at the airport and Douglas. Hard to believe really. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Are there any similarities, regarding pros and cons, with deregulating taxi services and OpenSkies  for air services?

Just out of interest do you mean de-limit or deregulate? Why would the IOM want a deregulated taxi service? Regulations are there to protect the consumer largely, failing at times I guess, but that's the idea surely? 

Open-Skies means any airline can fly in here, but even that would require safety regulations also? 

Just now, finlo said:

I know I'll get flamed and all the excuses under the sun will be trotted out but taxi fares here are exorbitant. 

A recent ride in Manchester ( seemed the equivalent in time of Douglas to Ramsey) was £5.80 here would have been £40+!

No way. I agree they are more expensive here but surely not to that degree. I have used taxis in Manchester and my perception was that they were a bit cheaper i admit. But 7*  cheaper. No way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

No way. I agree they are more expensive here but surely not to that degree. I have used taxis in Manchester and my perception was that they were a bit cheaper i admit. But 7*  cheaper. No way. 

Actually, I've heard, not had to pay, but heard that night rides from Douglas to Ramsey can be £40+.

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

I don't know what mileage we covered ( heavy traffic) but time wise we could have traversed the mountain and that was the fare. Incidentally forty years ago we would get stiffed for a £40 ride home after a night out in the city!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, finlo said:

I know I'll get flamed and all the excuses under the sun will be trotted out but taxi fares here are exorbitant. 

A recent ride in Manchester ( seemed the equivalent in time of Douglas to Ramsey) was £5.80 here would have been £40+!

The fares below are 2022 and for 2 miles. 

Screenshot_2022-12-26-20-41-40-489-edit_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-26-20-42-01-907-edit_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I can believe that. Its a lot of money. But I cant believe a Manchester taxi would do Douglas to Ramsey for £5.80. If it were even possible of course. 

It wouldn't. It would cost that in fuel for the vehicle to get back to the starting point, never mind wear, tear, a wage for the driver, tax, insurance and other business costs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bazza Smurf said:

It wouldn't. It would cost that in fuel for the vehicle to get back to the starting point, never mind wear, tear, a wage for the driver, tax, insurance and other business costs. 

We obviously didn't travel that distance but timewise we could have!

In July 1994, having hailed a Douglas cab on the prom at 1.00AM after an evening at a function at The Empress ( I think it was), I was quoted £80 to be taken to Ramsey (3 of us). Naturally, it was declined.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

In July 1994, having hailed a Douglas cab on the prom at 1.00AM after an evening at a function at The Empress ( I think it was), I was quoted £80 to be taken to Ramsey (3 of us). Naturally, it was declined.

It's been happening as long as I've been old enough to drink and is why they now never get a penny from me.

• Like 2