Civil Trespassing on the IoM.

Boohoo

Good day,

would anyone please be able to advise me with some information regarding civil trespassing?

What constitutes civil trespass? No damage or anything malicious, just for example if a letter/parcel was wrongly delivered to me, would it be civil trespass if I were to put the letter through the correct letterbox or leave the parcel at the door? What would be the case if that said person/neighbour has threatened civil action if I were to step foot on any part of their property?

I believe it's purely a civil matter (just extremely childish) but would like to check.

*just to note, there are no civil/legal issues or anything between myself and the person. They are just a very malicious and generally horrible person.*

Many thanks,

BH.

Just pretend they are not there.  Chances are if they are that sort of a cock  - they sent the mail to themselves to your address.  They have a camera waiting for you to deliver a parcel of dog turd to their door step.

Simply return it the postal system as 'not known at this address'. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Boohoo said:

Good day,

would anyone please be able to advise me with some information regarding civil trespassing?

What constitutes civil trespass? No damage or anything malicious, just for example if a letter/parcel was wrongly delivered to me, would it be civil trespass if I were to put the letter through the correct letterbox or leave the parcel at the door? What would be the case if that said person/neighbour has threatened civil action if I were to step foot on any part of their property?

I believe it's purely a civil matter (just extremely childish) but would like to check.

*just to note, there are no civil/legal issues or anything between myself and the person. They are just a very malicious and generally horrible person.*

Many thanks,

BH.

The Isle of Man does have a criminal trespass law, but it wouldn’t apply here.

Trespass is a civil wrong or tort. To take action your neighbour would have to show that you’d caused damage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately it’s more invasive than I’ve given the example of. They probably do have a camera, are technically in a position of power and have a grudge against me. I’d explain more but not on a public forum because they’re probably on here too. 

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The Isle of Man does have a criminal trespass law, but it wouldn’t apply here.

Trespass is a civil wrong or tort. To take action your neighbour would have to show that you’d caused damage. 

Thank you. So if I simply left a package (nothing dodgy or nasty) just a gift for someone who lives in the house, then if they had an issue even though they’ve said I’m not welcome near the house, I’d be okay and they’d have to take civil action if they still had a problem?

1 minute ago, Boohoo said:

Thank you. So if I simply left a package (nothing dodgy or nasty) just a gift for someone who lives in the house, then if they had an issue even though they’ve said I’m not welcome near the house, I’d be okay and they’d have to take civil action if they still had a problem?

I’ve explained the law. However you can’t expect me to say there’ll be no consequences. Depends on how determined to be difficult your neighbour is and how deep their pockets. But yes, civil action only.

20 minutes ago, Boohoo said:

I think if they've made there position clear about you being on their property. On their head be it. Return the package. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Boohoo said:

So if I simply left a package (nothing dodgy or nasty) just a gift for someone who lives in the house, then if they had an issue even though they’ve said I’m not welcome near the house, I’d be okay and they’d have to take civil action if they still had a problem?

You could be into 'stalking' territory there IMO, if they decided to go that route.

My advice, stay away.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve explained the law. However you can’t expect me to say there’ll be no consequences. Depends on how determined to be difficult your neighbour is and how deep their pockets. But yes, civil action only.

29 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Thank you, it was mainly the IoM law side that I was wanting confirmed. They shouldn't be allowed to threaten me into not leaving a gift for a person in the same house. This person has a grudge against me personally and think he is above the law. I appreciate your assitance.

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

You could be into 'stalking' territory there IMO, if they decided to go that route.

My advice, stay away.

No, it wouldn't be anything close to staking. Just simply leaving a gift on the doorstep. This person used to stalk me and I have plenty of proof but nothing was done about it because of his job. I think I will just ask someone to deliver on my behalf to save any arguments. 

1 hour ago, Boohoo said:

Thank you, it was mainly the IoM law side that I was wanting confirmed. They shouldn't be allowed to threaten me into not leaving a gift for a person in the same house. This person has a grudge against me personally and think he is above the law. I appreciate your assitance.

Is this something addressed to them, that has been delivered to you instead?

In the circumstances, I would hand it back to the postie or courier, rather than risking making things worse by going round.

If it's a personal gift from you, I'd carefully consider how the person that doesn't like you may misunderstand it. It may have an unintentional poor reaction.

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Is this something addressed to them, that has been delivered to you instead?

In the circumstances, I would hand it back to the postie or courier, rather than risking making things worse by going round.

If it's a personal gift from you, I'd carefully consider how the person that doesn't like you may misunderstand it. It may have an unintentional poor reaction.

It is a gift from me to my daughter who lives with her father (long story). She is happy to receive it, he's just making it very difficult for me to get it to her. Postage is not an option due to weight etc. If it wasn't involving me personally and him being a really nasty piece of work, I'd just deliver them myself.

15 minutes ago, Boohoo said:

It is a gift from me to my daughter who lives with her father (long story). She is happy to receive it, he's just making it very difficult for me to get it to her. Postage is not an option due to weight etc. If it wasn't involving me personally and him being a really nasty piece of work, I'd just deliver them myself.

Can't she come round and pick it up from you?